• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottied
    • Apr 2018
    • Geelong

Falken Wildpeak AT3

G’Day

Falken wildpeak AT3, anyone running them?
    The WILDPEAK AT3W is engineered for adventure, any time and in any weather. The tyre combines aggressive off-road ability and rugged terrain driving without compromise on the pavement. An optimised tread design combined with a silica tread compound enables the tyre to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance. The tyre is packed with technology, from Falken’s patented 3D Canyon Sipes to an all-new proprietary lower sidewall. Full-depth sipes and grooves maintain consistent performance and appearance throughout the life of the tyre.

Cheers
    Scottie
  • Hazpet
    • May 2014
    • Mandurah

Falken Wildpeak

Hello Scottie... I've had them on (26560R18 XL) for 5000km. Replaced the original Dunlops, very slightly more noise, fuel consumption increased by about 1.5 to 2 l per hundred k around town and about 1 to 1.5 on the highway. They are a heavier tyre and more effort required to move them. Had them on the beach down to 18psi and had no problems whatsoever. They handle gravel very well with good grip. In the wet is the same. I know 5000km is not a lot but I'm very happy with them so far... Check out this write up
    Could a set of All Terrains be the only tyre you ever need? When I purchased the Range Rover Sport about a year ago, it came equipped, as many do, with the perfect set up for cruising the streets of Sydney’s trendier suburbs. Big 19-inch wheels and fairly skinny 255/50R19 tyres. Great for low riding, […]

If that link doesn't work check out my post below in this section dated 12/12/18
    2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Replaced a set of Dunlop AT22 (or which ever highway pattern they were). Have done about 10,000km on a them.

Fuel consumption went up similar to Hazpet, but I increased size from 265/65R17 to 265/70R17, also added 60, 70mm lift at same time. Big lift?? Yep, but only because it had sagged so much.

In my fuel consumption calculations I haven't taken into account the affect on the odometer of the larger diameter tyres.

Haven't noticed an increase in noise over the Dunlops

The tyres are heavy. I have a set of half worn 26570r17 Mickey Thompsons MTZs on Triton rims and the AT3s are a good few kg heavier.

Overall pretty happy with them. Son has Mickey T D38s on his Triton. I was going to go for them or a Toyo, but the Falkens had a buy 3 get 1 free offer, and we get really good mileage out of them on our work utes so I though I would give them a go.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Tyre weights vary a bit between brands but as a rule of thumb;
        P265/65R17 17-19kg.
        LT265/65R17 21-23kg.
        LT 265/70R17 25-27kg.

So it is possible to gain up to 10kg per tyre by going from a 65 series lightweight passenger tyre to a heavy duty AT/MT 70 series tyre. This weight increase is significant as it adds to the unsprung weight so struts and shockers must work much harder. Fuel consumption will increase as the tyre gets heavier and the tread pattern becomes more aggressive.

No free lunch for off road grip and toughness!

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Tyre weights vary a bit between brands but as a rule of thumb;
          P265/65R17 17-19kg.
          LT265/65R17 21-23kg.
          LT 265/70R17 25-27kg.

So it is possible to gain up to 10kg per tyre by going from a 65 series lightweight passenger tyre to a heavy duty AT/MT 70 series tyre. This weight increase is significant as it adds to the unsprung weight so struts and shockers must work much harder. Fuel consumption will increase as the tyre gets heavier and the tread pattern becomes more aggressive.

No free lunch for off road grip and toughness!

OJ.
          Absolutely, which is why I haven't bothered correcting the distance travelled in my fuel calcs. No point comparing the old to the new because of to many changes. Only to see what speeds, or driving techique could get the best out of what I have at moment.

My weights were the Mickey T 265/70 on a 17x7" ML GLS Triton rim, and the AT3 on the NX GLX Paj rim. I couldn't find the figures on line, and couldn't be bothered getting tyres off rims just to satisfy my curiosity.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

You will only find tyre weights on the USA manufacturers websites in lbs so divid by 2.2 to get kg.
            People often forget to add 3% to the kms travelled when doing fuel consumption calculations if you have gone up from a 65 to 70 series on a 265/17 tyre. these lessens the shock slightly!

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Originally posted by Scottied View Post
              G’Day

Falken wildpeak AT3, anyone running them?
              The WILDPEAK AT3W is engineered for adventure, any time and in any weather. The tyre combines aggressive off-road ability and rugged terrain driving without compromise on the pavement. An optimised tread design combined with a silica tread compound enables the tyre to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance. The tyre is packed with technology, from Falken’s patented 3D Canyon Sipes to an all-new proprietary lower sidewall. Full-depth sipes and grooves maintain consistent performance and appearance throughout the life of the tyre.

Cheers
              Scottie
              Hi, I asked the same question on the Facebook Pajero page and the responses were generally good, one commented that they got noisy after 35-40k km but general consensus was they similar to the Toyo AT2 and were better than the Cooper AT3 in the wet and better mileage and $150 a corner cheaper., I’m about to hit the go button on some myself after running the BFG’s, and I’ve been a loyal BfG owner for 6 sets.
              1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
              1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
              2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Scottied
                • Apr 2018
                • Geelong

Originally posted by Hazpet View Post
                Hello Scottie... I've had them on (26560R18 XL) for 5000km. Replaced the original Dunlops, very slightly more noise, fuel consumption increased by about 1.5 to 2 l per hundred k around town and about 1 to 1.5 on the highway. They are a heavier tyre and more effort required to move them. Had them on the beach down to 18psi and had no problems whatsoever. They handle gravel very well with good grip. In the wet is the same. I know 5000km is not a lot but I'm very happy with them so far... Check out this write up
                Could a set of All Terrains be the only tyre you ever need? When I purchased the Range Rover Sport about a year ago, it came equipped, as many do, with the perfect set up for cruising the streets of Sydney’s trendier suburbs. Big 19-inch wheels and fairly skinny 255/50R19 tyres. Great for low riding, […]

If that link doesn't work check out my post below in this section dated 12/12/18
                Thanks mate

Comment

• Dusco
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Bairnsdale 3875

Just put some on at tyrepower in the july 19 pay 3 get 4 deal... 849 fitted and balanced.
                  Upgrade from at01 wildpeak which I got 122000 kms out of no punctures.

first Impressions ... quiet... more grippy on road...
                  04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• talrusan
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Jordan

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                    Replaced a set of Dunlop AT22 (or which ever highway pattern they were). Have done about 10,000km on a them.

Fuel consumption went up similar to Hazpet, but I increased size from 265/65R17 to 265/70R17, also added 60, 70mm lift at same time. Big lift?? Yep, but only because it had sagged so much.

In my fuel consumption calculations I haven't taken into account the affect on the odometer of the larger diameter tyres.

Haven't noticed an increase in noise over the Dunlops

The tyres are heavy. I have a set of half worn 26570r17 Mickey Thompsons MTZs on Triton rims and the AT3s are a good few kg heavier.

Overall pretty happy with them. Son has Mickey T D38s on his Triton. I was going to go for them or a Toyo, but the Falkens had a buy 3 get 1 free offer, and we get really good mileage out of them on our work utes so I though I would give them a go.
                    Did you fitted the Falken WP AT3 on the OEM Pajero rims ?
                    I'm asking because on their website they mention the rim width should be 8" while Pajero is only 7.5"

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by talrusan View Post
                      I'm asking because on their website they mention the rim width should be 8" while Pajero is only 7.5"
                      Falken specifications suggest an 8" rim width but they also state the approved rim width range is from 7.5" to 9" wide rims.

OJ.

Comment

• pharb
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by talrusan View Post
                        Yes, fitted to the factory 17x7.5" rims. Have been on nearly 2 years. No issues. Can't recall how many kms. I'll have to check. It's only been whilst writing this message I realised how long they have been on.

Interestingly I also have a set of Mickey Thompson MTZs in the same size on a set of Triton 17x7" rims (the only Triton rims I can find to fit the NX). But the MT website says minimum rim width is 7" For this size.
                        PCOV Member 1107.
                        Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• Grant084
                          • Jul 2020
                          • Brisbane

Just fitted the Wildpeak AT3's to my SWB NS, albeit on 16x8" wheels.
                          went up a diameter from standard 17" tyres however fitted them on 16" wheels. Fitted 26575r16. Seem just as quiet and grippier than the Kumho a/t road venture AT51's I had fitted before them. Car has an approx 45mm lift which fits them easier
                          Attached Files

Comment

• MSF
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Just bought a set pf 285/75 R16 for my shorty.
                            Got them for a steal pricewise at $180 per tyre - 1720 build stock so nice and fresh Aussie stock.

But because of the dirty Victorians that don't follow isolation rules, my new rims are stuck in Melbourne until I can get them.. So these will just sit in my garage until the rims are here...

Ordered a set of the same size MT01 Muddies too, but no stock until Mid August...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MSF; 28-07-20, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                              ... my new rims are stuck in Melbourne until I can get them..
                              The virus is slowly moving north - perhaps it could bring your rims along with it?
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X