• Show
Clear All
  • GrahameL
    • Mar 2012
    • Caboolture, Qld

Where to mount the UHF aerial

Hi everyone.

Your help please.
    I wish to install an UHF radio but I don't know what is the best way to mount an aerial.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough and I don't have a bullbar to hang one off. Roof mounting is also out of the question.

Is there another way of mounting an aerial? Where? What type of bracket etc?
    Pictures from members that have a different style of aerial mount would be greatly appreciated.

Grahame
    SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,
  • JFella
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by GrahameL View Post
    Hi everyone.

Your help please.
    I wish to install an UHF radio but I don't know what is the best way to mount an aerial.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough

Grahame
    That is a load of crap IMHO, had aerials large and small mounted with the bonnet z brackets without a problem
    Cheers, J

NT RX 2009 3.2TD Manual Ironbark with the usual stuff

Comment

• Macster
      • Nov 2011
      • Melbourne

Some guy posted pictures before on the forum of his spare wheel mount. Bit more effort in wiring but you can pop the rubber grommets in the floor and run the cable underneath the vehicle - tucked up in the chasis rails.

Without a bull bar, that's where I'd probably put it

Comment

• securegsm
        • Feb 2012
        • Melbourne

many Police Pajeros have aerials mounted with the bonnet and very large ones. My ex police Paj has mounting holes on the LHF guard from removed UHF mounting brackets. so not too worry.

Comment

• Quietguy
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2011
          • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by GrahameL View Post
          Hi everyone.

Your help please.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough and I don't have a bullbar to hang one off. Roof mounting is also out of the question.

Is there another way of mounting an aerial? Where? What type of bracket etc?
          Pictures from members that have a different style of aerial mount would be greatly appreciated.

Grahame
          Browsing the web I have seen a bracket that mounts on the front bumper, but didn't take too much notice as I have a bull bar fitted for mine

Try googling for antenna bracket for Pajero and maybe you can find it

good luck

david

Comment

• Traveller43
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Perth, WA

I have a bull bar on my NT but before I decided to get one I was looking at other aerial mounting options. I was concerned with the Z brackets mounting, not because they weren't strong enough but more from the possibility of rubbing against the bonnet paintwork.

I had finally decided on mounting off the spare wheel carrier on the back door. I have seen several Pajeros with aerials there and they seem solid and look pretty good. There is plenty of space and it just takes a bit more length of cable between the aerial and the radio.

But then the missus saw the value of the bull bar and the aerial is happily mounted to it.
            Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Rich0
              • Dec 2011
              • Sydney, South

I wouldn't believe the comms install guy. Take a look here, there's plenty of brackets coming out from under the bonnet.

2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
              My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• GrahameP
                • Mar 2012
                • Brisbane

Hi Grahame

I had a 1.5mm stainless steel z mount on my last vehicle for 6 years and that same bracket and 800mm antenna will shortly be on our current Pajero. The mount needs a small amount of bending to fit correctly. Is a personal choice but I prefer driver side mount as the antenna then misses more of the vegetation.

GrahameP

Comment

• Lance
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • Melbourne

Yep, salesman tellin stories again me thinks.

This has been on my NP since it was delivered in 2005 to a Dr in the Western District of Vic.
                  The vehicle has done 220,000 and I still use that same mount for my aerial.

Yep, stories are just that, stories.
                  Attached Files
                  2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                  2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• GrahameL
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Caboolture, Qld

Thanks to everyone for their comments

I was over at TJM this morning and without prompting he said the Z brackets are not strong enough to carry an aerial spring. He also said that he has seen an aerial with a spring bend the guard itself.

The aerial I was thinking of installing was a GME AE4018K1. Without the spring it would be OK to mount on the guard.

Grahame
                    SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,

Comment

• Lance
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Melbourne

Yeah, that's fair enough, those spring base devils do weigh in a bit more than the helical whips.
                      Something tougher may be in order.

I've got a pic of one that somebody here made up but I don't know who it was (so apologies for posting your pic without first contacting you.)
                      Attached Files
                      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

I have an AE4703, mounted on a bull bar. How the hell anyone could call the base a spring mount is beyond me. It is super duper stiff. To the point that I reckon I'd peel my bullbar off before the "spring" started to bend. So I would agree with the comment not use a z-bracket in this situation. And I could see how in the wrong situation other types of antennas could cause what was stated. I'm not familiar with the AE4018 you mention, but it appears to be a flexible fiberglass whip. I would have thought this would probably be ok. Best you can do is get a unity gain 1/4 wave for tight bush work. Flexible and only about 150mm in length. Very little risk of damage that way and you'd be surprised just how good a 1/4 actually performs.

Such as the gme AE4002. You will get even better results if using it with a ground plane independent adaptor. I'll edit with a link if I can find one

Shane.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• albie
                          • Aug 2011
                          • sydney

Rear UHF Ariel mounting

Hi Guys,
                          I ended up mounting my UHF ariel on the rear tire housing. I made a bracket with some gusset support and took the opportunity to use it to mount a rear led spotlight as well.
                          Here are some pictures of the bracket and where it is mounted using original bolts. I do get a little bit of movement while driving, but it is minimal.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• albie
                            • Aug 2011
                            • sydney

More pics

More pics of the bracket installed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Good job..
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X