• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimTams
    • Apr 2012
    • Melbourne

hosting?

hiya

Do you guys have something funny goin on with your hosting for the forum? I notice all the links in emails and such point directly at the IP address and if I type the URL in manually without forum/ on the end it takes me to a Deru page... And if I miss the / it won't work at all. basically only way to get at the forum if I don't know exactly what to type is if I google it and save a bookmark

Happy to fix it up for you guys, can even host it for you free of charge as I run my own hosting business... Nothing wrong with the forum just needs a minor polish IMO

Cheers
    Tim
    '95 LWB Pajero NJ 2.8TD Manual
  • peter92
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • maryborough queensland

i thinks the boys are doing a great job as it is, but thanks anyway
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• 4PAWZ
      • Nov 2011
      • Australia

Don't know why you'd offer to host the forum for free when they are clearly making money off advertising - even to the point some posts have been censored to keep advertisers happy.

If it was an advert free forum...

Comment

• TimTams
        • Apr 2012
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by 4PAWZ View Post
        Don't know why you'd offer to host the forum for free when they are clearly making money off advertising - even to the point some posts have been censored to keep advertisers happy.

If it was an advert free forum...
        That wouldn't have to change, the ads would still make money no matter where the website is hosted

I don't mean to offend anyone, just noticed a couple of things missing and thought I would offer to fix them up

Comment

• Bundyk
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2012
          • North Nowra

I have no problems with you willing to help if you think it could do with a bit of a "spit polish". Would have to put any changes to the Mods though (obviously).

4PAWZ, the site has sponsors. Havent ever seen adds on the forum for anyone, aside from when a site sponsor mentions something which they should be able to do. I highly doubt the club is making any money from the forum. Posts have been edited/removed as they pushed the boundaries and the Mods dont want to run the risk of any legal trouble. Remember, some people may take offence in some way shape or form to something you see as fairly harmless.

P.S. If there are advertisers here, sorry Ive not noticed.
          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• marquis
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Newcastle

Originally posted by TimTams View Post
            host it for you free of charge
            I could say the same thing... but it is up to the guys who own the forum. I cannot see any issues with the hosting company they are using.

I assume they are using http://hosting.deru.net/
            --
            Marquis
            SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

Originally posted by marquis View Post
              I could say the same thing... but it is up to the guys who own the forum. I cannot see any issues with the hosting company they are using.

I assume they are using http://hosting.deru.net/
              That we are Marquis, and appreciate all the kind offers but what bothers me most about this thread now is the fact that Bundyk doesn't know we have advertisers on this forum or the fact that 4PAWZ had a shot at us for defending our advertisers or should I say paid advertisers.
              Yes we have 5 paid advertisers here ( the other 3 are freebies as they support the club in other ways). These advertisers pay $150 per annum which is dirt cheap advertising so multiply that by five. I believe that makes $750 that we collect, I know forum hosting is up around $1000 per annum so that leaves us $250 shy that club members have to fork out for. Most club members do not even browse or are members of the forum so probably couldn't care less if it is here or not. So they are putting in and don't even use it. Now when you have a shot about us defending our advertisers how would you like to be a shop owner that sells a certain product and has the monopoly on sales of the item. All the sudden someone moves in next door selling the same product and start boldly advertising right in front of your shop. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with it. So are we protecting them ? Damn straight we are
              Are we making money or a profit? No we are still $250 shy.
              Should we take notice of people like 4PAWZ who on there third post has a crack about us trying to get hosting fees for the forum paid by others than members.
              Well I could go on but you can guess I am pissed off with some comments by others.
              Dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Bundyk
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2012
                • North Nowra

Apology

I have had a proper look the the homepage and found the list of advertisers. I hereby Apologise for the lack of awareness on my behalf. I am aware that most of you are here, but thought you are sight sponsors, not advertisers. Again, to the sponsors (and every other member) I am Sorry. (and very red-faced)
                Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• TimTams
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                  ... that makes $750 that we collect ... up around $1000 per annum so that leaves us $250 shy ...
                  Well I didn't offer to host the site for free to insult the club, turning a $250 loss into $750 profit seems pretty reasonable to me. Not quite sure why I was shut down for that.

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Wasn't by any means having a crack at you TimTams. Also appreciate the offer but someone elses remarks got up my nose
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Traralgon. Vic

No comment...
                      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• marquis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Newcastle

Surprised that the club doesn't use a VPS (with cpanel if required) on the US west coast - a good managed service would be about $500 to $900/year including external backup.

Eg
                        US$400 to $500/year
                        2500 GB Premium Bandwidth
                        1Gb RAM
                        40 GB Disk Space
                        IP: 2

US$700-$800/year
                        4500 GB Premium Bandwidth
                        1.5Gb RAM
                        75 GB Disk Space
                        IP: 2

+ Backup about US$80 - $120/year
                        Last edited by marquis; 11-05-12, 06:26 PM.
                        --
                        Marquis
                        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• 4PAWZ
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Australia

Tim - not having a shot at you at all. Was thinking it was very generous and couldn't help but think what was in it for you - especially when the forum has paid advertisers.

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                          4PAWZ had a shot at us for defending our advertisers or should I say paid advertisers.
                          Yes we have 5 paid advertisers here ( the other 3 are freebies as they support the club in other ways). These advertisers pay $150 per annum which is dirt cheap advertising so multiply that by five. I believe that makes $750 that we collect, I know forum hosting is up around $1000 per annum so that leaves us $250 shy that club members have to fork out for. Most club members do not even browse or are members of the forum so probably couldn't care less if it is here or not. So they are putting in and don't even use it. Now when you have a shot about us defending our advertisers how would you like to be a shop owner that sells a certain product and has the monopoly on sales of the item. All the sudden someone moves in next door selling the same product and start boldly advertising right in front of your shop. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with it. So are we protecting them ? Damn straight we are
                          Are we making money or a profit? No we are still $250 shy.
                          Should we take notice of people like 4PAWZ who on there third post has a crack about us trying to get hosting fees for the forum paid by others than members.
                          Dave
                          My apologies, didn't realise you're running at a loss. Though, I am entitled to an opinion and don't deserve being jumped in such an immature fashion.

For the matter of advertising, we should be able to discuss things openly and without bias. People often make criticism of magazines because their reviews, opinions and outcomes are all in keeping with their advertisers (eg Toyota). You are effectively doing the same.

At the end of the day, I have my opinion, you have yours.

Comment

• TimTams
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Melbourne

The problem with letting people say what they like about a product that a company is paying to have advertised here is that they may lose sales thanks to the advertising they have paid for, rather than gain them. This can lead to all sorts of legal issues particularly when in a lot of cases when the site agrees to promote them in return for money they are also agreeing not to present them in a negative light.

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Originally posted by 4PAWZ View Post
                              Tim - not having a shot at you at all. Was thinking it was very generous and couldn't help but think what was in it for you - especially when the forum has paid advertisers.

My apologies, didn't realise you're running at a loss. Though, I am entitled to an opinion and don't deserve being jumped in such an immature fashion.

For the matter of advertising, we should be able to discuss things openly and without bias. People often make criticism of magazines because their reviews, opinions and outcomes are all in keeping with their advertisers (eg Toyota). You are effectively doing the same.

At the end of the day, I have my opinion, you have yours.
                              Well I thought an immature post deserved a immature reply!
                              Your comment was ....... even to the point some posts have been censored to keep advertisers happy.
                              Show me the posts ! Only one I know of and that was regarding the Lock up kits on Ebay as we have an advertiser who sells them.
                              Dave
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X