• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Damian69
    • Mar 2011
    • Harrington Park NSW

EGR Blanking plate NW

Hi, has anyone fitted a EGR blanking plate to the NW or NT?
    I have fitted one to my NW and all is good with the exception of a turbo noise at around 2000RPM under load at light throttle when i'm towing my caravan or going up a hill. The plate come from one of the chip suppliers.
    Any advice if this is good or bad for the engine or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • onallfour
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2010
    • Camden, Sydney

here are a few posts relating to EGR

and

I have one fitted and as you will read in other posts around here it will mean cleaner oil in sump, cooler air in intake, possibly less turbo lag but it 'may' one day spit out a CEL fault. Had mine for about 1000km so far and had used engine braking down freeways and floored the beast a few times and yet to get a code to come up. If i do get one its a matter of reading it and resetting it with scangauge
    Last edited by onallfour; 11-03-12, 10:19 AM.
    Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• Damo69
      • May 2009
      • Harrington Park NSW

Thanks for that, it hasnt put up any faults to date and the car is a lot nicer to drive. It just seems to squeal a bit especially when I'm towing up a slight grade.

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

I cannot see why blocking the EGR vacuum hose so the EGR valve didn't work would not be just as effective as a blanking plate. The tube could be blocked with a small ball bearing or similar and the tube refitted to hide any evidence of tampering. The block could be easily removed if required by taking off the tube and poking a small rod through it or even having a spare piece of unblocked tube. Does anyone know of any reasons why this would not work?
        Peter

Comment

• onallfour
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2010
          • Camden, Sydney

the EGR is open up by a small electric motor in NT on the EGR flap on passenger side. It isnt vacuum controlled
          Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• achjimmy
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2009
            • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by onallfour View Post
            the EGR is open up by a small electric motor in NT on the EGR flap on passenger side. It isnt vacuum controlled
            Can you disconnect the electric motor?
            Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
            MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
            99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• netwrk
              • Jul 2011
              • Brisbane

I recently fitted a blanking plate on my 2011 NT. It has now on two occasions whilst cruising on the highway illuminate the centre diff light, engine light and traction control light. The second time it happened it also went into limp mode. Reset and all was fine. Might remove it and see what happens. Just assuming it is related to the blanking plate.

Comment

• geoff&vi
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Damian69 View Post
                Hi, has anyone fitted a EGR blanking plate to the NW or NT?
                I have fitted one to my NW and all is good with the exception of a turbo noise at around 2000RPM under load at light throttle when i'm towing my caravan or going up a hill. The plate come from one of the chip suppliers.
                Any advice if this is good or bad for the engine or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
                Damian,

I fitted one from Chip it to my NT in Nov 10, prior to fitting the Chip-it module. After a mate had his MELT under extreme load whilst towing (his was an initial Aluminium unit from Chip it), i thought i would pull mine out and inspect it, as mine was a later model made of steel. What i found was very disturbing and has cemented my opinion on fitting a EGt Blanking plate to any future vehicles.

The plate i had, was pre-drilled with an 8mm hole to stop the CEL from activating. Upon close inspection there was a crack forming from the centre leading to the outer rim, which ran through the entire plate. If i had not checked it, the damage would have been catastrophic to the turbo, as it would not have melted as easily as the aluminium version my mate had.

Please note, i am not saying you should or should not fit a blanking plate, just that having discovered what would have been a very expensive failure before it had the chance to occur, i will not be fitting another. Apart from this crack, i never did feel any performance difference, between plate and no plate.

I dont have any pics, as i called Chip it and advised them and they requested i send it back to them for assessment.

my 2 c worth.
                cheers
                Geoff
                GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
                NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• geoff&vi
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by netwrk View Post
                  I recently fitted a blanking plate on my 2011 NT. It has now on two occasions whilst cruising on the highway illuminate the centre diff light, engine light and traction control light. The second time it happened it also went into limp mode. Reset and all was fine. Might remove it and see what happens. Just assuming it is related to the blanking plate.
                  NETWRK,

Does yours have an 8mm hole drilled in the centre? As without this hole, it will throw a CEL in some cases on trailing throttle.

cheers
                  Geoff
                  NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• daryn
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Newcastle

I have both no hole and 8mm hole plates for my nw, the no hole threw the cel so now running the Holey one, so far so good.

This mod is not about performance but more about minimizing the carbon buildup in the manifold. A little bit getting in is better than a lot.

Comment

• netwrk
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Brisbane

No hole in mine, will give it a try.
                      Thanks.

Comment

• geoff&vi
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by daryn View Post
                        I have both no hole and 8mm hole plates for my nw, the no hole threw the cel so now running the Holey one, so far so good.

This mod is not about performance but more about minimizing the carbon buildup in the manifold. A little bit getting in is better than a lot.
                        Some people report a noticable performance increase. I agree re the the carbon build up, but the chance of this plate failing and splintering into the turbo, has put me off. I am investigating a ProVent oil catch can, which does the same job with no issues.
                        cheers
                        Geoff

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • Hastings

Geoff,

does this plumb into the egr system or just crank case venting.

regards

Michael.
                          2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• geoff&vi
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • Brisbane

Michael,

not sure yet. When i get around to investigating more, ill post the details

cheers
                            Geoff

Comment

• DaveH
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • sydney

I made my own blanking plate from Stainless Steel, no hole. I have not had any issues with it nor has the car gone into limp home mode after more than 25,000kms inc all conditions of driving

PS I do not have a chip
                              2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X