• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty V
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Cranbourne, Vic

If you sit on exactly 2000rpm in a 3.2 Pajero you will get the best economy... You'll use more even a 100-200rpm either side...

Try it...

Comment

• Allan2
      • May 2013
      • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Clean the MAF sensor in the top of the air cleaner. It should be cleaned every time the air cleaner is changed. Super Cheap sell the cleaner, I suppose any accessory shop will have it. Follow the instructions on the can.
      Allan.
      2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

A lot of the economy comes from how and where you drive. Short runs, stop/start in traffic all have huge influence on consumption. And an even bigger factor is how hard you push the loud pedal. I was taught even before I had my licence that every time you put your foot on the brake, that is fuel that you have paid for and are no worasting. This means that I look far ahead. If I see traffic lights ahead which are either red or soon gong to be that way, I coast up to the lights. Not only do I save the fuel that others around me are still using as they approach the lights, but most times I don't even have to stop, and this saves even more fuel. Most of this is academic because I rarely drive in cities anyway. I also try wherever possible to lift off slightly before the crest of a hill to avoid overspeeding on the down run and then having to brake to control the speed (Where I live, the coppers are everywhere and I don't want to donate to the Police benevolent fund).

Towing a caravan is even more telling on fuel consumption, particularly in heavy traffic. Here, however,I try to keep up with the traffic so I don't cause any more frustration than need be by having a large vision restricting blob blocking other driver's driving pleasure (if you can call it that in peak hour traffic). Again, anticipation usually reduces the number of stop/start operations and this saves a lot of fuel.

My last trip with the van was heading for Brisbane, but we only got to Sydney before my wife fell seriously ill and finished up in hospital for 10 days. The trip from Cooma to Sydney with my caravan used 11.7 L/100 km. The trips in Sydney (no van) used 13.2 L/100 km (this was mainly on Pennant Hills Road at peak hours - gee I hated that). The trip back home with the caravan after hospital used 12.2 L/100 km.

Comment

• Morten
          • Jul 2018
          • Aberdeen NSW

Only had my beastie for a month, and only bunged 5000k's on it, but averaging 8.1 per 100...so far so good...thats using my own gps with tracker and doing the sums after the bowser....hoping that one day soon, the caravan will magically attach itself to the car and want to be towed somewhere...then I'll see how happy I am with L/100...

Comment

• Handy Andy
            • May 2010
            • Brisbane

fuel usage

Gidday boys, just an update re my mates NX fuel issues as reported at the start of this thread .

Months ago in Darwin after the second occurrence of excessive fuel issues he was told testing identified an air temp sensor was showing minus 30 degrees. As the sensor was not available he was told it would be ordered and sent ahead to Perth for whenever he arrived there. Mitsubishi tech advice was linked to MM emails and he was given a case "manager"as its a warranty matter. Prior to getting in to Perth last week he contacted his MM case manager to suggest what he thought may be needed ie a couple of possible outcomes. MM case manager, a polite young lady advised that the quoted fuel usage was all done in laboratories and could vary up by 35% and still be acceptable in MM's opinion. He left the car at the Perth dealers after briefing them and they acknowledged they had been aware of his problems and he returned later that day. They told him the car was fine, it had been serviced and their were no issues. He asked how it went when they road tested it regarding fuel usage. They advised they did not road test it, just serviced it . They advised that a replacement sensor had not been forwarded. Obviously he is extremely disappointed ( a nice way of saying he is ready to blow up) and is now driving straight back to Brisbane where I have arranged with a local mm service manager to have a closer look at the vehicle for him.
            If anything comes of that I will let you know in due course
            Andy

Comment

• s311_bvm
              • Oct 2011
              • AUS

Hi Handy Andy and All,

Yes this fuel consumption issues is annoying, my experience matches that of Hany Andy’s mate… My dealer states nothing’s wrong with the car, all code is up to date and no errors exist. The service manager went as far as blaming the fuel economy on my use of 4H for all driving.

I have run in 4H as this forum has implied on late mode Pajeros 4H makes little difference on fuel. So on the service managers request I tested running in 2H.

Last 4 tanks consumption calculated at the pump in 4H only:
              14.11 L/100
              12.22 L/100
              12.35 L/100
              13.69 L/100
              After switching to 2H, next 4 tanks recorded.
              10.37 L/100
              12.37 L/100
              10.35 L/100
              10.05 L/100

Other people have indicated that the DPF NXs use approx 15% more fuel. I personally believe this is because of two reasons. I believe the change in final drive ratio from 3.917 to 3.692 is seeing the torque converted unlocked for longer to compensate particularly when towing. Additionally, I believe that fuel is being consumed with the DPF burn process.

This then leads me to some questions that I want to work on……
              How can I log the frequency and duration of DPF burns?
              Is the DPF burn frequency overly aggressive leading to excessive engine oil dilution with diesel?

I am tempted to drop my engine oil at the 7.5K mid service point and get samples tested by 3 separate test labs as I simply don’t like what I see on the dip stick.

However, I am guessing if I took these results back to the dealer they will blame my oil sampling for contaminating the samples and say I have voided warranty by doing it myself, this is so annoying.

As for Handy Andy’s mate going to yet another dealer, I unfortunately believe this will just be another waste of time.

Comment

• Mundy55
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2015
                • Gold Coast

I really don't understand people's angst over 2L/100km additional fuel usage. For an annual usage of 15,000km, this equates to about $400 per year or a little over a dollar per day. The real total cost of owning and operating a relatively new Pajero is somewhere between 20 and 50 times that figure. Get over it and just enjoy the driving.

Comment

• mike m
                  • Jun 2008

Fuel usage NX Pajero

Hi Handy Andy,
                  We also have had 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel wagons over the last 13 years, my latest car a 2017 NX Diesel with 18,000kms (purchased with 8,000kms on speedo) and a diesel particulate filter has been a big disappointment with regards to fuel consumption. It is using approximately 20% more fuel than my 2013 NW and 2005 NP Pajeros, both very reliable / economical vehicles.
                  I have had the computer parameters reset at Agostino Mitsubishi and Ross Granata Mitsubishi at Mudgee in NSW without any change in fuel economy, both dealers were very helpful in trying to resolve my issue.
                  The Mitsubishi website states my NX Pajero should get 9.1 km per litre, I am getting on average approximately 7.6km per litre around town and 5.13km per litre towing (actual trip meter and fuel consumption data). I am a 64 year old male. The NW Pajero the fuel usage was approx.. 9.1 km per litre around town and 6.25 km per litre towing my Jayco Journey caravan (same caravan).
                  The vehicle also has a very noticeable vibration through the foot pedals which I didn't notice on my previous Pajeros. I bought this as I thought it being a 15 year old designed vehicle it would have all the bugs ironed out of it.
                  I can only put the problem down to the DPF for fuel usage and vibration as that is the only new thing on the vehicle, Mitsubishi also advised me that the fuel economy should get better with more k's on the clock?

Comment

• Seigried
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2016
                    • brisbane

I dont buy that argument of "better with age" why:
                    ~If you dont have blocked egr and/or catch can oil and carbon will be deposited from the turbo through to the inter cooler and intake and valves
                    ~it takes no consideration on wear and tear
                    ~recalibration of injectors is for maintaining even levels of fuel distrbution accross the cylinders, which is not the same as being efficient for fuel economy
                    ~there is an asumption of everyone drives the same way over some unknown distance and terrain

I call BS on the dealer as the car is way past the initial (run in) 1500km service

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Handy Andy
                      • May 2010
                      • Brisbane

NX fuel

Gidday Gentlemen,
                      A little update on my mates NX... MM have been in touch with him , out of the blue, for some feedback on their staff's performance. Initially he was somewhat shocked but without getting cranky he put all the facts of his last 6 months in front the enquirer, who turned out to be the boss of the public relations section in SA. As a result and after a number of weeks considering these facts MM have now arranged for his car to go back to a Brisbane dealer where two SA technical staff will be on line to over see all checks etc and the vehicles performance/parameters.... His car is for all intensive purposes running perfectly, it is simply a matter of fuel usage that is in excess of his previous Pajeros, and one of those Pajeros just happened to tow the same van, without this current fuel usage .

Over Christmas I've heard some talk of a Toyota class action brewing re their Hi lux DPF issues and where ever you meet people with European vehicles that do mileage, talk often comes to DPF concerns. Unfortunately I suspect my mate will learn his NX is as it should be , he will have to accept the dpf…...however he is now happy that MM are trying to resolve his issues, and should they find the silver bullet I'll certainly let you know.
                      Andy

Comment

• gen1
                        • Nov 2012
                        • Melbourne

I'm impressed that Mitsubishi have actually gotten involved... They've never ever even had the courtesy to respond the to issues I've had with mine, they only ever contacted the dealer and had them contact me, much to their frustration!
                        2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• Handy Andy
                          • May 2010
                          • Brisbane

NX fuel

Gidday Gen1
                          Yes , my mate was more than taken back by the phone call from mm and the lady who rang him was really looking for like survey questions re his experiences. Once he shared the reality she was taken back and from there he has been treated as a life long customer should be treated ...if your really fairdinkum that is. I intend to contact my offsider tomorrow to see how he fared.

Back in June when he was in Darwin the dealer and MM told him to check in at Perth (whenever he got there ) and a sensor would be waiting as it was not available in Darwin. Of course it wasn't sent on to Perth by MM and I recall in November he then drove straight back to Brisbane from Perth, somewhat pissed off. You have to just smile when people brush it under the carpet and say you should just enjoy driving your lovely car its just a couple more litres per hundred. Well , wow I cant wait to buy another new car that cant do what the old one did, and when travelling , I can carry fuel drums to ensure I can get back from wherever I've gone. Those people could probably get a job with a few dealers we have heard about ….I arranged for someone I know (dealer service manager) locally to have his car checked out. From there he was contacted by MM and they have since stayed in touch to the point he now finds himself in.
                          I'll keep you informed for whatever its worth
                          Andy

Comment

• mike m
                            • Jun 2008

NX Fuel usage

Hi Handy Andy look forward to the MM research / results into your mates NX fuel usage, my NX Pajero has been in for a service and a fuel test by Agostino Mitsubishi who I cannot fault for their resolve/helpfulness in trying to find out why it is using more fuel. They did some computer adjustments and a fuel test of over 100kms and is within specs however it is not what i would call real world testing. I am going back in a few weeks for more tests after i have done some more kilometres.
                            Hi Seigried I agree with your sentiments however I give people the benefit of the doubt and it is worth a try.

Comment

• Keithyv
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2018
                              • Perth

For what it's worth, my 2014 NW (no DPF) 3.2 diesel gets between 8.9 and 9.5 l/100 around town.
                              (And the trip computer is actually spot-on with actual usage)

Not done too many long country runs yet.
                              I'd be a bit disappointed if I was getting what some people report the NX uses.

EDIT: this is in 4H also.
                              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Old Paj
                                Pajero Club Life Member
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Heathcote, Vic

NX Fuel Usage

To me, I don't see a lot of value in many of these response re fuel consumption, quite simply because there are just so many variables to consider eg. load, tyres, tyre pressure, wind, humidity, speed, DPF/no DPF etc. just to name a few.

For what it is worth I have a 2017 NX, it has a DPF, I average since purchasing the vehicle, new in Feb 2017, and have 65,000Km on the clock, 11.48lt/100Km. This is predominantly rural driving at mostly 100+kph but does include towing (1700Kg camper) on and off as well.
                                NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X