• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Adding 2-stroke oil to diesel

Found a link on here somewhere that lead on to a very interesting thread on the Freelander forum discussing adding two stroke oil to diesel See here for the thread.

Now if the info is correct and I've understood it properly it kinda suggests that low sulfur fuel is not a good thing for injection systems as sulfur has lubricating qualities and that adding 2-stroke to your tank may be a viable fix for the lower sulfur content of today's fuel.

Has anyone here heard or this or indeed practice this? Would adding 2 stroke be a measure people could take of they have an NM or NP diesel in which the injector pump has not yet let go?
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

This topic has been done to death on the forum and some people have very clear and set ideas on the subject. I was doing this with my NP for quite a while before my pump went at about 300,000km. but I didn’t start until it had over 200,000km. on the clock.

Personally I can’t see it doing any harm and I suspect it does do some good. The local diesel expert who repaired my pump however, reckons “it won’t do a bloody thing except clog up your fuel filter,” so at the end of the day it is up to you which camp you go with.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
      This topic has been done to death on the forum and some people have very clear and set ideas on the subject. I was doing this with my NP for quite a while before my pump went at about 300,000km. but I didn’t start until it had over 200,000km. on the clock.

Personally I can’t see it doing any harm and I suspect it does do some good. The local diesel expert who repaired my pump however, reckons “it won’t do a bloody thing except clog up your fuel filter,” so at the end of the day it is up to you which camp you go with.

Cheers

Geoff

Yep Hendos right...do a search and you will find answers. Topic has been done to death. One point however...it cannot possibly block a filter..impossible as its molecules are measured in nanomicrons not microns.

Enjoy your search...I ,ve been using it for 20+ years but thats for me. Others wont touch it...It all depends on your own experience with it...
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• peter54smith
        • Jun 2011
        • Barry Vale of Glamorgan Wales UK (gs io81ij)

Sunflower oil mix

Hi guys I have been using a 50/50 mix diesel and sunflower cooking oil for a few years now summer running 50/50 but I tend to reduce the mix in the winter to a 70/30 diesel sunflower mix, I have never had a problem running on a sunflower oil mix, but I did get the pump seals replaced with compliant seals prior to attempting it. Sunflower oil at the moment is approx one pound a ltr, diesel approx 1.35 per ltr here in the uk. Regards
        The problem is not the problem its your attitude to the problem that's the problem.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by peter54smith View Post
          Hi guys I have been using a 50/50 mix diesel and sunflower cooking oil for a few years now summer running 50/50 but I tend to reduce the mix in the winter to a 70/30 diesel sunflower mix, I have never had a problem running on a sunflower oil mix, but I did get the pump seals replaced with compliant seals prior to attempting it. Sunflower oil at the moment is approx one pound a ltr, diesel approx 1.35 per ltr here in the uk. Regards
          Hi Peter,

Could you let us know which model vehicle you have?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X