• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by BMChallenger View Post
    thanks OJ

I thought as much, just hoped there might be a more positive outlook.

Mate that would be a lifesaver. I'm going to get my ecu tuned to help improve towing and touring performance I've really struggled with the towing ability but in essence the car is doing pretty well. I've learned to love her and protect her a bit more throughout the trip. We both have a nasty hill to climb tomorrow which will be interesting. Low range 2nd and 3rd will get us there.

Any suggestions to add to the performance or ability? Plan at the moment is

Ecu tune asap
    ? Exhaust to match (not sure it's necessary)

Torque converter lockup kit

New tyres and keep her serviced as always.
    Assuming the low range climb is off-road and not on the bitumen, do not select too higher gear and keeping the engine rpm up will reduce ATF temps in high load conditions. When replacing tyres, staying with standard diameter will mean you are not putting extra load on the engine and auto. The 3.917:1 diff ratios are too high for this engine and auto combination, 4.1:1 better for an empty car and 4.3:1 for cars that travel heavy and tow but at $3.5K to $4K for new CW&P sets and labour to install this is not a cheap mod.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BMChallenger
      • Jun 2012
      • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Assuming the low range climb is off-road and not on the bitumen, do not select too higher gear and keeping the engine rpm up will reduce ATF temps in high load conditions. When replacing tyres, staying with standard diameter will mean you are not putting extra load on the engine and auto. The 3.917:1 diff ratios are too high for this engine and auto combination, 4.1:1 better for an empty car and 4.3:1 for cars that travel heavy and tow but at $3.5K to $4K for new CW&P sets and labour to install this is not a cheap mod.

OJ.
      I have to admit I have used the low range on a couple of occasions running on bitumin is this a really bad idea? I know the centre diff is locked but I imagined that at speed it wouldn't be too much of an issue as long as I didn't do any tight locked turns?

As you say I would love to change to 4.3 diffs but the cost is too much.
      2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!

Comment

• BMChallenger
        • Jun 2012
        • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        should have gone the Roosystems Tune ....

10L/100km on average ... 8L/100km highway ...

can lead a horse to water ...

114kw 375 Nm at the wheels ...

I've decided to use my mechanic who has a full dyno setup and is has great experience as a CRD tech tuner. He is also around the corner so I can get any issues sorted directly if they were to occUr. It's also $400 cheaper.
        2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!

Comment

• BMChallenger
          • Jun 2012
          • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
          Thanks for the plug OJ

The Pajero version is 99.9% complete now, and will ship commencing the week after next.

Yes, I fully intend to release a version of lockup-mate for the PB/PC challenger, with OJ's car as the test mule.

I've already made some accomodations in the hardware in preparation for supporting the JATCO transmission. So with luck it will be mainly software changes and tuning the decision algorithm . If all goes smoothly this will bring forward the challenger release well prior to mid year. The NS Pajero too.

Interesting that this thread reaffirms the benefit of the lockup-kit even when not towing. Just driving around town on a hot day using D can see my temps climb over 100degC.
          Last year in the vic high country I needed to stop several times to let the trans cool down after hitting temps close to 130 degC during long climbs. There wasn't anything already available that met my needs - so it was this issue that spurred me on to design a lockup kit which was better than anything else around.

It also takes ages to get the heat out due to limited airflow - the best solution is to stop the heat buildup in the first place - hence the lockup-kit as the solution.

If you visit my web site you can subscribe and receive emails to keep up-to-date as my new products are ready. http://www.mm4x4.com.au

Here's the original thread on lockup-mate.
          This is going to be a great addition to the challenger thanks for working on this with OJ

Is there an approx price For the unit plus fitting?

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have to admit I have used the low range on a couple of occasions running on bitumin is this a really bad idea? I know the centre diff is locked but I imagined that at speed it wouldn't be too much of an issue as long as I didn't do any tight locked turns?

As you say I would love to change to 4.3 diffs but the cost is too much.
            Yes running in low range on bitumen is not good as it puts large loads on the axles, diffs and prop shafts, even the slightest of steering input can cause drive line wind up. Low 2nd is equal to high first so you are only really getting 1 gear lower to start off with. The high stall ratio torque converter will easily start off in high first with the heaviest loads you just need to feed the power in slowly and wait for the torque converter to catch up, run in 4H so the centre diff is unlocked and be patient, it feels like you are winding up a rubber band or spring. Torque converter stalls at around 2700 rpm with no forward or rearwards motion so just feed the power in gradually.

Like you I would find it hard to justify a spend $4K on diff ratios on a 6 year old / 120,000km 4WD unless I was spending most of my time towing. My problem is that while the diffs are apart I would want to fit front and rear E Lockers and that adds another $3.5K to the spend!

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

This is going to be a great addition to the challenger thanks for working on this with OJ

Is there an approx price For the unit plus fitting?

Cheers
              Your welcome

I expect the same price as the Pajero version, which is $395 + $15 P&H.

Fitting takes ~2 hours. Comes with detailed instructions, but any auto-electrian could do it if you're not confident.

I just posted some test results you would be interested in to put your mind at ease about the reasons for the temp increases. here
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Gusey
                • Nov 2015
                • Townsville

Your welcome

Fitting takes ~2 hours. Comes with detailed instructions, but any auto-electrian could do it if you're not confident.

I just posted some test results you would be interested in to put your mind at ease about the reasons for the temp increases. here
                I am guessing your going to be a very busy person pumping these out for us auto Challenger owners, so looking forward to getting an Auto Mate when they are available.
                2015 PC Auto/ Roo Systems ECU Remap/ 2.5inch Roo Systems Exhaust/ Safari Snorkel/ M&M 4x4 Auto Mate/ Munji EGR Delete/ OME Lift Kit/ 265 75 R16 Hankook A/T's/ Smartbar/ Rhino Flatrack/ ARB Awning/ 80ltr fridge/ 120ah Dual Battery/ GME UHF/ Diff Breathers.

Comment

• coughy
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2014
                  • Redlands Brisbane QLD

Your welcome

m8 i have the lock up kit already fitted but it is a pain to turn on and off
                  the wholesale automatics one
                  is your complete stand alone or do i need to run with my existing one ???
                  and when u do it can u make the switch a mitsubishi style switch pls as well
                  as i have made this section in the dash for it
                  Attached Files
                  My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                  New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                    m8 i have the lock up kit already fitted but it is a pain to turn on and off
                    the wholesale automatics one
                    is your complete stand alone or do i need to run with my existing one ???
                    I hear you. I had a manual lockup kit in my NP pajero and hardly used it due to the hassle. For my NX I wanted fully automatic, and nothing suitable was available - hence embarking on lockup-mate.
                    It is standalone, connected to OBD2 port (Y with a splitter cable), and uses a relay to turn your existing kit on and off. simple!

Checkout my web site for details (link is in my signature). You'll see I have exactly what you're after - it's call lockup-mate lite.
                    Designed specifically for people who already have a lockup kit installed but want automatic operation.
                    It's basically the same as lockup-mate, but without the capability to actually lockup the torque converter (as this is done by your existing kit).

The version for Pajero is $245 +P&H, and I expect the challenger price will be exactly the same.
                    I'm installing the first prototype into a mates Pajero today.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• m_and_m
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                      My switch is a combined switch/LED which is mounted (in custom 3D printed bracket) so the LED visible to the driver. LED tells you if lockup-mate is on/off, and also tells you when the torque converter is locked up or not.

Attached is a photo of the switch in my car. It's the tiny thing on the pillar to the right of the garage remote. Takes less than a minute to install

You can still have a switch in the dash, but it won't have the LED feature.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• amec
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Wamberal

Im liking the concept.
                        Plus it will work with my existing lockup kit from wholesale automatics.
                        PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• coughy
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2014
                          • Redlands Brisbane QLD

can u get some footage of it working for us pls M@M with the ultra gauge
                          sorry just got realy excited that some one might have a way that i can get more than 100km per 1/4 tank
                          My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                          New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• BMChallenger
                            • Jun 2012
                            • Sunshine Coast, QLD

M and m I had a look at your test results and I'm very excited to see what's coming.

I climbed the 20km I mentioned earlier today and hit 109deg only using 1st and 2nd with a lot of caution.

I can't wait to have the kit...

Bloody challenger. They could have been so good if they just got a few little things a bit better. I took a 4wd track today in vic high country and they have such amazing ability climbed it with ease. I'll continue to percevere.

Comment

• whereswes
                              • Feb 2015
                              • Melbourne, Australia

I'm currently on a trip from Queensland through the vic high country!

Driving up to falls creek in D taking it daily easy on the winding roads to avoid the passengers from vomiting I got the top and had hit 110deg in the trans
                              Hit 108 just 1/2 way up (Bogong Village with similar load and probably much cooler day). Suspect would have got same result or worse if going to the top as AT temp on a continuous climb from leaving Mt Beauty.

Cheers
                              Wes
                              Last edited by whereswes; 04-01-18, 11:26 PM.
                              2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• m_and_m
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by amec View Post
                                Im liking the concept.
                                Plus it will work with my existing lockup kit from wholesale automatics.
                                Yep. did the install of lockup-mate 'lite' into my mates Pajero last night. He has a Wholesale Auto kit installed. The test drive was great and it works very well.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X