• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IsaRodeo
    • Nov 2014
    • Gladstone CQ

Pros and Cons Safari or Airtech Snorkels

Hi All,

I'm about to put a snorkel on the MY16 GLX and can't decide between the two despite being able to have the Airtech fitted for slightly more than the cost of the Safari unit.

I've had 4 Safari snorkels on various vehicles before, all fitted by myself, and apart from the vibration issue with the last one, (a common fault with the inner guard pipe and cammy motor) all have given years of excellent service, but with the Pajero there seems to be a lot of underhood relocation of items.

Does the Airtech require as much relocation work under the bonnet.

I'm interested to hear any issues with either to help me sway one way or the other as price isn't doing it yet as I would prefer to pay more if the product is better as it will be on the car for some time and it's not the easiest to change if you get it wrong.
    Cheers Glen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY16 NX Graphite GLX, ARB Deluxe Bar, MM Towbar, REDARC Towpro Elite, Spare Wheel Lift, Full MSA Canvas, Sandgrabbas, Provent 200, HD Lovells and Bilstiens, Hema HN7, Scanguage Poly Airs, MM 4x4 Lockup Mate, Icom 450, RFI 6.6 & 3db, Traxide DB90 DBS, Drifta Custom Drawers, Stedi ST3303
  • MarkAW
    • Aug 2016
    • Point Cook

Airtec retains indicator on front guard, safari doesn’t and a blank is fitted from what I have seen
    2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• Glenno
      • Feb 2009
      • Melbourne

No Indicator on NX guard so not relevant to snorkel install. Understand that airbox has to be moved slightly towards the rear firewall with a Safari snorkel.
      Cheers

Glenno

Comment

• womble
        • Apr 2012
        • Adelaide

I Have a Safari and it annoys the hell out of me with the vibration, no one can seem to help. ARB say no problem can't hear anything and Mitsubishi the same. Can't comment on the Airtech but if no one has had any issues with vibration go with that I reckon
        2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• MarkAW
          • Aug 2016
          • Point Cook

Originally posted by Glenno View Post
          No Indicator on NX guard so not relevant to snorkel install. Understand that airbox has to be moved slightly towards the rear firewall with a Safari snorkel.
          Cheers

Glenno
          Our NX has indicators on front guards
          2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• jared01
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

Originally posted by womble View Post
            I Have a Safari and it annoys the hell out of me with the vibration, no one can seem to help. ARB say no problem can't hear anything and Mitsubishi the same. Can't comment on the Airtech but if no one has had any issues with vibration go with that I reckon
            Which air filter are you using?

I have the safari and no problems u til I got the car serviced anf mechanic used a non mitsubishi air filter and the air box would not seal properly and the air ox and whole snorkel was vibrating quite a lot. Took it back, put the old air filter back in and problem went away. Tried abother new air filter same brand that was in there after the service and vibrations back again.

Ended up just getting a refund for the air filter only and I bought a genuine mitsubishi air filter and again no problem.

Which one are you using?
            2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• Hatto
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Mandurah WA

The indicator blank is barely visible when the Safari snorkel is fitted. And the air box relocation is done with a supplied bracket and only moved an inch or so from memory. The Safari snorkel has a removable head which can be handy if you have the need to swap the ram head for a dust separator or pre cleaner. Dont think the airtec snorkel does? Could be wrong though.
              Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
              ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Safari.......you have to use the supplied small washer bottle.

Airtec........you can modify the original washer bottle, only losing a couple of hundred mm capacity.

I went with Airtec on mine for that reason but others say the supplied washer bottle hasn't been an issue.

Also at the time i could get Airtec cheaper than Safari.

My Aitec purchased a couple of weeks ago has removable head.

No issues with vibration etc to date.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

I've got a Safari on my NX and had to put up with a loud vibration noise when the car hit 2000 revs, just right for cruising down the highway.

I tried everything from changing air filters (they were original) to putting strips of door seal foam around the filter, thinking it was vibrating and causing the noise. it was driving me mad and really loud, like a buzzing sound.

When I got a second battery fitted, I asked the guys to check my snorkel installation (not done by them originally) and they found that there was a bracket missing inside the guard which meant that the pipe was vibrating against a partly cut off metal lug. They made up another bracket to clamp the pipe in place and I've had no noise since.
                  Last edited by Ian H; 23-03-18, 07:13 PM.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• ticky
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Adelaide

Twisted32 did a lot of research on this question. He ended up with the Airtech. many reasons, I think air flow was one of them but the Airteac is easier to fit.

Twisted is pretty thorough with his research+

Steve
                    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• womble
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
                      Which air filter are you using?

I have the safari and no problems u til I got the car serviced anf mechanic used a non mitsubishi air filter and the air box would not seal properly and the air ox and whole snorkel was vibrating quite a lot. Took it back, put the old air filter back in and problem went away. Tried abother new air filter same brand that was in there after the service and vibrations back again.

Ended up just getting a refund for the air filter only and I bought a genuine mitsubishi air filter and again no problem.

Which one are you using?
                      Just using the genuine items as per dealer servicing
                      2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Just using the genuine items as per dealer servicing
                        Dealer serving isn't necessarily genuine items - check if your lid is tight.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NJV6
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • New Zealand

Mine is much quieter with genuine filter for intake noise up the safari snorkel. With a dealer fitted ryco filter it would drone and low rpm. I changed it over to genuine once I saw dirt on the clean side of the ryco filter, a lesson learnt!
                          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• twisted32
                            • Jan 2015
                            • Adelaide

I went through this about 6 months ago, here are my reasons for choosing the airtec:
                            - Ability to retain factory washer bottle with some modification. Additional capacity, plus the supplied replacement bottle for both snorkels would not fit with my FMIC pipework
                            - Comparing pipework sizes/diameter of both, the airtec was larger and appeared to have a better flow path which is good since mine is tuned etc
                            - No need to relocate the factory indicator in the guard
                            - Personal opinion, but I think the airtec suits the car lines better

The airtec can have a pre-filter etc fitted with an adapter from njswb which I use.

Both snorkels move the airfilter box about 20mm with supplied brackets. The airtec moves it outboard (and up), and the safari moves it aft (not sure if it raises it too).

Hope that helps
                            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
                              The airtec can have a pre-filter etc fitted with an adapter from njswb which I use.
                              Thanks twisted.

For those who may have noticed, all my pics were down - but not any more.

In the process of restoring pics, I added pics of the Mark 2 Adaptor - improved aesthetics (well, to me), but otherwise no significant change.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X