• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

NS aftermarket stereo install

Hi all posted a couple of weeks ago about getting a new stereo and thought I'd do a quick write up on the one I got. Link below to the one I purchased off ebay.

First up seller was good with communication and only took 10 days to deliver from placing the order. Came packaged really good with everything needed. I've also ordered a reverse camer from them, link below, but still awaiting artival of that!

The head unit comes with SD card with aussie maps, remote control, Pajero matched plugs etc. Just for info my NS has the standard 6 cd stereo, not Rockford and not MMCS. After researching I did not require the canbus module sold seperately, its only required with Rockford and MMCS I believe.

I wont do a write up on taking the dash apart as there are several to be found throughout the forum, but safe to say its pretty easy. Once I got the old unit out of the way I did an initial plug in make sure the new unit worked which it did. From there it was plug and play to existing Pajero plugs, with no need to cut or shut any wires.

The only things to swap over are from the original head unit surround, are the 6 small white clips onto the new surround and obviously the centre display. This is held on by 4 screws, 2 either side and then a few small clips top and bottom.

A small problems I came across. When changing over the side brackets from the old headunit, the screws wouldn't go into the new unit. Quick visit to Bunnings and all sorted. Forgot what screws I got but easy to work out.

Didn't have any issues with the speedo not working as has been reported previously with the speed sensor wire being earthed through the new unit. Steering wheel controls were very easy to set up......once in the settings area to set up the controls you press the up volume on steering wheel, then hit the button on the headunit that corresponds. Do it for the rest then hit save and done.......took all of 2 mins to do.

Set up bluetooth for my phone, again pretty easy. Unit comes with 2 usb plugs, one of which I've run to a socket in the dash where the rear diff lock button normally is.......mine doesnt have it. The second usb I've run to the glovebox for now. The gps aerial I mounted just under the top of the dash where the top speaker normally sits. Again mine doesnt have that spwaker so loads of room with velco to mount.

I've only just finished the install so haven't fully played with the headunit and completed learning how to drive it!!!

Safe to say I'm impressed so far with the unit and it was a very easy install with no issues apart from the screws previously mentioned. Couple of pics below of the finished product.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aussieintas; 31-08-17, 02:51 PM.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Forgot to mention.

Have done a bit of testing. Bluetooth calls work superb and have been told it was crystal clear to my caller. Also bluetooth music streaming works a treat. Have plugged in an ipod Ive got into the usb I ran through to the glovebox and again works great. Had a quick play with the settings.....sound, display etc and they are fairly straight forward to work out.

Did a very quick test on the maps that came with it and again appear good. There is a function to see how many satellites you are picking up and im getting 7 to 9 with good strength so I'm happy with gps aerial location.

The unit doesn't come with an instruction manual but it has one built in to read which is handy. All the plugs are marked, so easy to decifer and plug in. I haven't plugged all of them in, like the ones to rear dvd player, line in or sub woofer as I don't need them. I've plugged in the reverse camera in wire and that is just dangling below the unit and can easily get to it by only having to remove the heater control panel once my camera arrives.

Below is a link to dash removal showing the lot. If you are only changing headunit the only things you need to remove are the 2 vents either side of headunit, the heater control and the head unit itself. I removed a bit more as i installed the usb socket to where the rear diff lock locates and ran a new microphone to a pillar.

Thanks to the previous threads posted by members for stereo removal......much appreciated

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Turtlee
      • Apr 2013
      • Western Australia

Hi,
      Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm gonna be in the market for
      A aftermarket head unit . Seeing your one that you chose looks
      Good with the right features , although as I was searching for more
      On eBay I came across this one . Can I have your opinion on it ,how did
      You Come to choosing what you had?

Also I don't think this has a DVD slot

Regards Turtlee
      MY13 NW Pajero GLXR 3.2 Turbo Diesel
      Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates , MM Alloy Bullbar , Safari Snorkel , Turbo Timer , Factory Rear Diff Lock , GME TX 3220 , HD Front & SD Rear 2" Lovells Springs, Hercules Terra Trac AT LT275/70/17 , Roley's rear skid plate , TC + RDL Mod , EGR blank , SPV Mod.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey Turtlee.

Yes the one you have linked doesn't have slot for dvd/cd. I did look at that type myself but wanted the option to play the odd CD if I wanted. Certainly looks ok and the specs are pretty good. Screen resolutuon same as mine, only 16gb memory compared to 32gb in mine......not really an issue unless you want heaps of stuff stored. You can always use a 32gb sd card for extra songs etc. 2gb ram and quad core processor all good.

I went for mine as I wanted android operating system as i think its better than the wince ones, it was very much plug and play and came with everything i needed.

I will be doing an update write up soon on my system but so far have been very happy.

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Just realised the one you're looking at has android 7.1 so should be that bit better.

Suppose the big question for you is would you be happy with no dvd/cd function....if not it would be a goer.

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Couple of night pics of unit. The buttons have fully adjustable colours and managed to match it with the pajero.
            Attached Files

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

A couple more
              Attached Files

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

The reverse camera has arrived in the post and ive splashed out on a new set of rear speakers, link below.

Also purchased a bit of sound deadener to put on side panels during install to negate vibration etc.

Need a full day to take out interior trim to install speakers and run wires for reverse camera.....but work is getting in the way.

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• starjunk
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Turtlee View Post
                  Hi,
                  Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm gonna be in the market for
                  A aftermarket head unit . Seeing your one that you chose looks
                  Good with the right features , although as I was searching for more
                  On eBay I came across this one . Can I have your opinion on it ,how did
                  You Come to choosing what you had?

Also I don't think this has a DVD slot

Regards Turtlee
                  Wow, that's quite a decent size screen on that one, and it runs the same software as mine by the look of it. The only thing I don't like about that one (or mine), and I think one of the major reasons why AussieInTas chose the one he did, is that the volume control is push button instead of rotary encoder. I find that really inconvenient, but it's a personal preference. I think a rotary dial is better as you can reach for it without taking your eyes off the road. Must get myself a set of the steering wheel controls I reckon.
                  '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                  '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                  '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                  '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

Yeah forgot to say i like the rotary dial for volume control. That said i do have steering wheel controls and have set up the mode button to be the mute button, but still find myself using the rotary more often than not.

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Turtlee
                      • Apr 2013
                      • Western Australia

Would Be nice to have the DVD slot but I guess the future is Portable HDD or usb , I don't mind not having dials As I use the steering controls mostly .

I'm gonna ask a few more questions before I take the dive .
                      Will do a write up as well if all goes to plan .
                      Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates , MM Alloy Bullbar , Safari Snorkel , Turbo Timer , Factory Rear Diff Lock , GME TX 3220 , HD Front & SD Rear 2" Lovells Springs, Hercules Terra Trac AT LT275/70/17 , Roley's rear skid plate , TC + RDL Mod , EGR blank , SPV Mod.

Comment

• starjunk
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Sydney

Would Be nice to have the DVD slot but I guess the future is Portable HDD or usb , I don't mind not having dials As I use the steering controls mostly .

I'm gonna ask a few more questions before I take the dive .
                        Will do a write up as well if all goes to plan .
                        Yep, ask the seller a few questions to see how well they respond ; I needed some after sales service with mine and was impressed by the customer service, in spite of poor English and being told: "please do not worry, friend"
                        They were very helpful.

Comment

• Turtlee
                          • Apr 2013
                          • Western Australia

One more thing , have you guys been able to install and use Torque pro?
                          That's one of my main reasons I want a head unit , I'm currently using a
                          10.1" galaxy tab to view my temps. Finding a good spot to mount isn't easy .

Comment

• starjunk
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Sydney

One more thing , have you guys been able to install and use Torque pro?
                            That's one of my main reasons I want a head unit , I'm currently using a
                            10.1" galaxy tab to view my temps. Finding a good spot to mount isn't easy .
                            Yep, actually came preinstalled on my headunit, so didn't even have to pay! Bought a high quality Bluetooth dongle, and it works like a charm.

Comment

• aussieintas
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Sorell, Tasmania

My unit also came installed with Torque Pro, just haven't had the time to set it up yet. Because its android based you'll be able to install the app yourself if not pre installed on the unit you buy.

Previously
                              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...