• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

Victoria guidelines are a bit ambiguous

Vehicles manufactored after June 1995 can only have steering wheels fitted that are specified by the manufactorers as suitable for that vehicle....

this could read that a non airbag wheel can be fitted to an airbag vehicle as long as all other non airbag options are present...
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

So I was wrong - again.

It appears that the powers that be may accept Stu's modification of simply removing the airbag, but it reads that they may expect to see the non-airbag steering wheel rather than removing / deactivating the airbag.

Is the NL non-airbag steering wheel the same as all earlier Gen 2s?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• damo03
        • Dec 2012
        • Newcastle NSW &Melbourne VIC

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
        for those interested --- I am trying very hard to find where these quotes came from but I am struggling and as the post is 8 years old it is likely they could have been superceded and no longer appllicable...

Optional Airbag in Vehicle Required to Meet ADR 69/..
        If a vehicle was required to meet ADR 69/.. and it was originally fitted with an airbag that was optional equipment on that particular model or variant, the airbag need not be present, complete or operational provided the vehicle is fitted with all equipment (eg steering wheel, steering column, seat belts) that would have been fitted had the vehicle been originally manufactured without the airbag; i.e. the vehicle must be shown to still comply with the requirements of ADR 69/..
        Optional Drivers Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to Meet ADR 69/..
        For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a driver’s airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational provided the impact energy absorption characteristics of the steering wheel and steering column are equivalent to those of the non-airbag variant; i.e. the vehicle must comply with the requirements of ADR 10/..
        Optional Passenger Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to meet ADR 69/..
        For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a passenger airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational.
        I'm going to call Vicroads tomorrow to see if I can potentially fit a non airbag wheel to my NL (from a NL GLS) and remove the passenger airbag. I suspect that I may need an "engineer" to approve this modification. Last time I used an approved engineer for my vehicle modifications was 15 years ago and cost me $700 so it's probably a higher fee now.
        2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

all other states say nothing that I have been able to find over the last few hours ---- some do state removal of an airbag is illegal but its not in a document that is referable its just comments on forums ----

I have searched ADR 69 several times to find anything --- even something that says we cant ---- all I can find is interpretations that specify aftermarket wheels are illegal... nothing about same model optional wheels

It appears to me that these clauses may have been removed in new versions over the last few years to avoid the exact situation we are looking into --- and to stop backyarders trying to bypass recall situations
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by damo03 View Post
            I'm going to call Vicroads tomorrow to see if I can potentially fit a non airbag wheel to my NL (from a NL GLS) and remove the passenger airbag. I suspect that I may need an "engineer" to approve this modification. Last time I used an approved engineer for my vehicle modifications was 15 years ago and cost me $700 so it's probably a higher fee now.

the requirement is for the full safety package --- seatbelts and dash included so you cant retain the passenger bag or the standard seatbelts also non steering bag columns can be different but I very much doubt this ---- they have to be a collapsing collumn for non airbag wheels... where airbag columns can be collapsing or not manufactorers choice

the dash is a pretty easy swap out though and gives you the jesus bar.... which I wanted for my pasengers due to my offroad antics
            Last edited by stumagoo; 19-01-20, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              So I was wrong - again.

It appears that the powers that be may accept Stu's modification of simply removing the airbag, but it reads that they may expect to see the non-airbag steering wheel rather than removing / deactivating the airbag.

Is the NL non-airbag steering wheel the same as all earlier Gen 2s?

yes but no ---- it bolts on the same but is a 4 spoke wheel the earlier is a 3 spoke ---- accept for the odd import exceed that has a drivers airbag

the steering wheel in a non airbag NL is the same - it has a bracket to be swapped but its easy to swap them---- I have an Exceed wodgrain and leather airbag wheel with the non airbag center - I just needed the bracket and the horn pad --- it fitted straight in

low end blister side and escapes had these wheel centers

it seems to me that removal and retrofitting may be a viable option we just need to find out how to get it accepted

Comment

• damo03
                • Dec 2012
                • Newcastle NSW &Melbourne VIC

Here's a NL GLS that doesn't have the airbags. See how the wheel is identical except it doesn't have the SRS airbag symbol in the lower centre of the horn pad.

2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

also does not have a passenger side airbag ---- which use the same style canister and egnition as the steering wheel

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by damo03 View Post
                    Here's a NL GLS that doesn't have the airbags. See how the wheel is identical except it doesn't have the SRS airbag symbol in the lower centre of the horn pad.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6487914/?Cr=9

being the same fitment and column and a factory option there should be no need for an engineer... as there is no modification required to fit ---- it is a standard mitsi /adr approved option

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

ok NCOP11 VSB14 which is supposed to apply to WA

section 4.9 pager 24

4.9STEERING WHEELS Replacement steering wheels must not affect compliance with ADR10 (after 1970) and ADR69 (after June 1995). Unless a steering wheel is marked, or has accompanying information, as having been tested to the appropriate ADR, it must not be used as a replacement. In addition, for vehicles required to comply with ADR 69,the steering wheel assembly must be identical to one fitted as an option to the same model by the vehicle manufacturer, or alternatively, a steering wheel that has been certified by the replacement wheel manufacturer as a complying wheel for the specific make and model may be used. Replacement steering wheels should not be less than 330mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel should be of a similar design.Removable steering wheels must not be fitted.

this clearly states that if available as an option then it can be fitted to another vehicle. now we just have to get the authorities to allow it

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/.../NCOP11_Section_LS...

Comment

• gemster
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Gold Coast

I wonder if the buy-back only applies to registered Cars... If not I know where 2 NL's with airbags are and I could make some good $$ on-selling them to MM...

I really hope you Fellas that are caught up in this have a happy outcome and can keep them on the road...
                        I feel that there should be another option than JUST a buy-back as you are being forced into a corner with no Escape..(no pun intended)

Im also curious as what 'Guide' they will use to establish the buy-back amount.. As when I had my little prang, the Insurance Co said My NL was worth $3900... But I got this bumped up to $6000 with the 'Improvements' fitted to it..

Gemster...
                        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• 98NL GL
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Cairns

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                          Queensland is ok as of their guides in 2017 (cant link as its a PDF download only)

but it states here v> It is acceptable to replace a vehicle’s steering wheel without specific approval, provided the replacement steering wheel
                          does not affect compliance with ADR 10 (after 1970) and ADR 69 (after June 1995). Unless a steering wheel is marked or
                          has accompanying information indicating it has been tested to the appropriate ADR, it must not be used as a replacement.
                          In addition, for vehicles required to comply with ADR 69, the steering wheel assembly must be identical to one fitted as an Minor Modifications – VSI G19.7 - 6 -
                          option to the same model by the vehicle manufacturer, or alternatively, a steering wheel that has been certified by the
                          replacement wheel manufacturer as a complying wheel for the specific make and model may be used.
                          Replacement steering wheels should not be less than 330mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with
                          a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel should be of a similar design.

Thank God for that...I will go ahead and change to a non airbag steering wheel next week.
                          XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
                          1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
                          1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
                          2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• tomwithannl
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • Maria Coast Tasmania.

stumagoo.
                            Your doing well, almost up to where I am

Fact 1
                            ADR10 applied to vehicles manufactured after 1988 but did not apply to off road passenger vehicles class MC.
                            Fact2
                            ADR 69 Applied to off road passenger vehicles MC BUT ONLY FOR "NEW MODELS" from 1/1998!
                            As NLs were first produced in 1997 it made them a "current model" so this ADR does not apply. But this was still only a basic crash test and air bags were not required on any vehicle for it to pass.
                            Fact3
                            ADR 73 Applied to passenger cars only!(and only from 2000) Off road vehicles were exempt and was the first ADR that incorporated wording with regards the requirements for manufacturers that did fit air bags to there cars. It was NOT an ADR that made airbags mandatory. There still isn't one.

Putting it basically the MMAL NL Pajero built between 1997 and 2000 did NOT require airbags to meet any applicable ADR's at the time of manufacture.

That's the facts as can be checked by anyone looking on the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislation._
                            __________________________________________________ ________________

I even read into it that the NL did not have to meet ANY frontal impact ADR's at all (they were either not applicable or exempt)

Now my interpretation (and what I have sent to the ACCC) is that if an NL pajero that had the SRS airbag option fitted has them removed and any replaced parts are from the equivalent model that did not have the SRS airbag option that vehicle would still meet the required ADR's for its date of manufacture.
                            (Just like you have done stumagoo)

Now, that is how I have worded it for the bureaucrats but reading the relevant ADR's CLOSELY not only is removing the SRS airbags fully legal the fact is there there were NO ADR's that covered NL Pajeros with regards frontal impact between 1997 and 2000.

I think the answer is to simply remove the SRS air bag from the drivers side, (you could fit a non airbag wheel of any kind, as long as it met AS), disconnect the passengers side airbag, just put a bit of tape or a sticker over the SRS writing, remove the SRS globe and present their car to a MMAL dealer and simply state that "This car does not have an air bag fitted and I wish to have my vehicle VIN removed from the recall list.

If nobody else wants to try I will be later next week....... if I am not in surgery and if I am this will be a low priority as I wont be allowed to drive for at least 4 weeks.)

Tom
                            Last edited by tomwithannl; 19-01-20, 05:14 PM.
                            1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                            1953 Morris Minor ute
                            1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                            2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• tomwithannl
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                              I wonder if the buy-back only applies to registered Cars... If not I know where 2 NL's with airbags are and I could make some good $$ on-selling them to MM...

I really hope you Fellas that are caught up in this have a happy outcome and can keep them on the road...
                              I feel that there should be another option than JUST a buy-back as you are being forced into a corner with no Escape..(no pun intended)

Im also curious as what 'Guide' they will use to establish the buy-back amount.. As when I had my little prang, the Insurance Co said My NL was worth $3900... But I got this bumped up to $6000 with the 'Improvements' fitted to it..

Gemster...
                              Yes, they have to be registered (and there is a short time for unregistered) and the starting point is the market value. They usually use red book as a guide. There is negotiation depending on condition. I don't think it will come to this!

Tom
                              1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                              1953 Morris Minor ute
                              1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                              2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• stumagoo
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • Perth WA S.O.R

ADR do not demand a drivers airbag in MC vehicles - that is 4x4's - (not sure about others) Landrover Discos met ADR69 with no airbags as late as 2016 --- 7x series landcruisers met the impact rules until a similar time and I suspect both could after this but airbags are being used now to not just meet ADR's but to improve ancap ratings for ease of sales

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X