• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mulcher
    • Mar 2019
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Enthymeme View Post
    I suppose the message hasn't yet filtered down to the front line / dealerships. Other manufacturers seem to be taking this more seriously than MM. Should I be surprised?

I'm genuinely curious to understand how many forum members have / will stop driving their vehicles until the matter is resolved. I, for one, stopped driving my Pajero as soon as the ACCC notice was published. How many others have done the same, I wonder?
    Thought I'd chime in, hi all. Sources claim that it's pretty simple to disconnect the airbag wiring at the base of the steering column after removing the lower shroud and column cover. Then, open the glovebox and move the little pieces on each side that stop it from opening all the way, giving access to the wiring for the passengers airbag. Apparently, it's just a matter of removing the SRS warning light from under the dash cluster while the shroud is off. Voila.

Still driving until Mitsubishi work out what they're going to do about the situation.

Comment

• [TUFFTR]
      • Jun 2018
      • Victoria

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
      That is only IF Mitsubishi decides to have the replacement bags manufactured. Legaly they don't have too ------Just offer a buy back. Time will tell!

This is from the ACCC website.

What are manufacturers doing to address the issue?
      Affected manufacturers are offering to buyback vehicles or are providing alternative transportation for those owners who choose to wait for parts to be manufactured. Not all affected manufacturers intend to manufacture replacements parts.

Tom
      Of course.
      I've just spent 6 months solid on this car doing upgrades, 3.8L conversion including clutch, snorkel, lift, tyres, interior, don't get me started!
      If there's a buyback scheme I'm going to be PISSED. I don't want money for it. Just want to drive it. Guess I'll walk down that path if/when the time comes.
      1993 Mitsubishi Magna/4L V6 DOHC 24v
      1991 Mitsubishi Pajero High-Roof JDM Import/4D56T
      2009 Mitsubishi Pajero NT VRX/3.2 DiD

Comment

• tomwithannl
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Expensive option: No1

I don't know if this would be accepted by the ACCC---------- and I don't have a lazy $1500 to find out.

Tom
        1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
        1953 Morris Minor ute
        1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
        2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• tomwithannl
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

SRS airbag / bullbar conundrum

I know I have put up a lot about the SRS airbag drama but it really bugs me and sometimes I need to vent!
          Here is another thought. My 1998 GLS has a Bocar aluminium bull bar fitted from new (and now even has a winch fitted). These bars were manufactured well before SRS airbags were considered for the Pajero's and I am sure these bars were not made to any "SRS airbag compatibility" rule. They were certainly available for the earlier models.
          Now I am not sure but I believe the front sensors for the NL Pajero are inertia triggered and are timed for the front end crumple to take place. Now with a bullbar fitted the crumple zone doesn't work the same so the timing is different. The airbag would deploy at the wrong time, much sooner. (remember we are talking microseconds)
          So now they are telling me that my airbag has a problem. Well guess what, I think my car had an SRS airbag problem from the day in 1998 when it left the selling dealer who fitted the bullbar.
          I know this is an entirely different situation but it still has the possibility of causing "death or injury" which is the same reasoning behind the SRS airbag recall.
          Maybe a bullbar recall needs to be considered?
          Just joking. PLEASE just let me pull the fuse and get on with the rest of my life...however long that may be.
          Tom
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• Pajerama
            • Dec 2011
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Enthymeme View Post
            I suppose the message hasn't yet filtered down to the front line / dealerships. Other manufacturers seem to be taking this more seriously than MM. Should I be surprised?

I'm genuinely curious to understand how many forum members have / will stop driving their vehicles until the matter is resolved. I, for one, stopped driving my Pajero as soon as the ACCC notice was published. How many others have done the same, I wonder?
            I stopped driving the NL as soon as I saw the ACCC notice. I used it every day to drive to the train station and park in one of the unpaved car parking areas and as a weekend general load carrier. Very occasionally it did some offroad work. My VIN is on the published list and now I'm reluctant to drive it, even though I'm sure the odds of injury due to airbag miss-deployment are low.

My wife uses my NT now to transport the toddler so I'm driving her Mazda 3 - which I do love anyway!

But I still miss the NL. Ironic that I looked for a GLS with dual airbags thinking it would improve the safety, but I did wonder after the NT airbag recall if the NL airbags were going to be any good after 20+ years. I got the same email response as others from MMAL, I sent a followup email yesterday requesting an update.

Comment

• tomwithannl
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Recall. Today 9.03am

This was through the ACCC web site that directs to MMAL.
              Note that this is on a MMAL letter head and asks that you contact your local dealer to have the matter rectified. Guess what? My local dealer (over an hour away) told me that my vehicle doesn't appear on any recall and I would have to bring the vehicle in so they could check the VIN. So I called MMAL and was told that they are not yet sure what they are doing about the problem. All they said was that I could keep driving the Pajero until they contacted me with an official recall letter telling me how they will rectify the fault. And at this time A. They are still unsure if the airbags will have to be replaced???as no Mitsubishi Nardi airback has faulted. B. If it goes further they don't know if the would replace the part or buy back the vehicle.
              To clarify they were unaware that the ACCC had put this up on their web site.
              We are putting our lives in these peoples hands.
              1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• gemster
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Gold Coast

I can just imagine that MM will have to train the young ones on how to replace airbags in an NL... I also think that pulling the fuse to disable the Air-bags is illegal...

Man im so happy I don't have airbags... I looked at several NL's before I looked at Geopaj's, and that was one of the first things He told me was No Airbags... I cannot see how this Buy-back is going to work on a 20yr old car... Will they work on 'Market Value' ?.... If so I can see some arguments happening...

Gemster....
                Last edited by gemster; 15-01-20, 10:46 AM.
                YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• tomwithannl
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                  I can just imagine that MM will have to train the young ones on how to replace airbags in an NL...

Gemster....
                  I hate the thought of anyone else working on my cars. That hasn't happened since I was about 15 and started my apprenticeship! but I certainly hope they go the replacement rather than a buy back!
                  Like a few others on this forum my NL is worth much more than money.
                  If they were to do a buy back I would imagine that allowing for the various conditions they would pay between $2500 and $5000.
                  This is just my guestamate after looking at how they worked out the price for the BMW and AUDI buyback.

How much would I have to spend to get a vehicle that would be a replacement?
                  Here is what it would need and remember I have owned mine for near on 20years!
                  Full service history
                  Automatic
                  7 seats
                  Leather trim
                  Dual A/C
                  Bullbar, towbar, window tint, weathershields, winch, seat covers, tray mats, brand new tyres rev camera. The list goes on, and on. Then there is the rego (transfer etc) and maybe an increase in insurance.
                  Tow my 2t caravan
                  But the main problem is that I know my Pajero. I feel confident in its ability and would not hesitate driving it around Aust tomorrow.
                  How long (and how much would it cost) to bring a replacement up to the standard I keep the Pajero?
                  I also like the fact that monetarily I can have it as a second (or third car) but know it is ready to go when the need arises.
                  As you can see by my signature I have other vehicles and I feel the same about all of them.
                  I know I am jumping the gun but the point is I don't want to get rid of my Pajero, full stop! It would be the hardest to replace.

As a side note I wonder if the steering wheel from the NM onward would be a straight replacement for the NL?
                  Anyone tried?

Tom
                  1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

the next factor is the passenger side aiirbag.... these use the same technology as the steering wheel airbag (as the takata issues has shown) NL's with a steering wheel airbag likely have a passenger one as well - and there are NK's with airbags as well.... are they going to look into the passenger air bags???

I just hope I dont lose my rego as I have no airbags left to replace lol
                    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Barneymutt
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Regents Park. Qld

These vehicles were still manufactured in Asia until 2010 and China (Last I checked, 2018), so, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.

Comment

• harry000
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Berwick

Just called my local dealership. He basically said I need to have the car towed to the dealership and not drive it.

He said they won't be replacing the part and Mitsubishi will be buying back the cars.

I only bought the car in November and have spent a whole bunch of money on it. Fuming.

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Today was emailed the gov safety recall notice

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• 2lateagain
                            • Jul 2019
                            • South of Nowra NSW

Can someone put up the VIN numbers please as it is Microsoft Office which I do not have unless the list is too long. What happens if I do not want to sell, are they going to cancel Rego and force them off the road.

Graham
                            1999 NL Exceed.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by 2lateagain View Post
                              What happens if I do not want to sell, are they going to cancel Rego and force them off the road.
                              Once they have a legitimate excuse ("unsafe on the road") the government can buy back anything they want - but they must pay a fair price. If you won't sell it to Mitsubishi then the government could insist that you sell it to them - and pass the bill to Mitsubishi.

If you're desperate to keep you NL start talking to an approved engineer about finding an alternative air bag. It might be possible to have a Gen 3 or Gen 4 steering wheel & air bag installed & certified.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• disco stu
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2018
                                • Wollongong

So changing interior/steering wheel to non airbag speed isn't enough to satisfy them? Just seems funny if not considering I have an NL here with no airbag and it's considered perfectly safe. They'll do it with engine changes if that engine was available in that model...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X