• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
    OJ's challenger has been at MM4x4 HQ for the last week receiving some improvements to lockup-mate and auto-mate.
    We're constantly tweaking and improving auto-mate as we receive feedback.

The latest improvements to auto-mate (Challenger) are:

. adjustable shift pattern This feature available on the Pajero is now available for the Challenger too. Allowable settings of 1-10 (default is 3). Why adjust the shift pattern? With larger tyres, you can now achieve 10% better fuel economy around town (compared with current auto-mate) by just tweaking the shift pattern. If your car feel like it labours a bit, select a higher shift setting.

. Ultra low power in standby (ignition off): Just 13m A, which is 50-75% less power than a typical ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth device

. Saves LED night override setting to EEPROM. When touring in the daytime with headlights on, I found it annoying to manually override it after each rest stop. Now saves the setting between engine starts

. Pedal Controllers: Better operation if you have a pedal controller [iDrive, torque etc].

. LED in 4LLC: In 4LLc, the LED now shows you if the TCC is locked or not.

. reliability and stability improvements - automatically recovers if problems are encountered (e.g. a sw freeze caused by corrupted data from a poor OBD2 connection)

. Bug Fix: In 4LLC, using a paddle to change into SPORT mode did not lock the TCC. Only worked if shift lever was used.

I'll release details of how to obtain a software update soon.
    I have done just under 500kms since getting my Challenger back from Marshall. Having had a new prototype program installed for the last few months to compensate for the 32"/813mm tyre's I am now running.
    Well "chalk and cheese" compared to the prototype program, this latest software is great!

Currently I am running level 6 of 10 levels which is a 3% offset from the new level 3 default tune for factory diameter tyre's. Even though my tyre's have a 5% increase in circumference the +3% level 6 tune functionality is more than I could have hoped for. Fuel economy has improved, it is not quite back to the factory tyre economy but it is very close. Gear up changes are improved especially 2nd to 3rd at all accelerator pedal settings. Change from 3rd to 4th is slightly more noticable on a very light gentle accelerator but if you slightly overshoot the accelerator application then slightly back off at the 3rd to 4th change the "urge/boost" feeling you get at the 3rd to 4th change at gentle accelerator position is no longer noticeable.

Each level of user selectable tune offset is 1%, this doesn't sound much but how it effects the drive experience is significant. Level 3 is the default program for factory diameter tyre's' 30.5"/776mm. Only reason I can foresee to using level 1 or 2 would be if you have a 2wd PB Challenger as these had 245/70R16 factory tyre's and a 4.1:1 final drive ratio compared to the 3.917:1 and 265/70R16 or 265/65R17 tyre's that the 4wds have. Level 4 or 5 would suit those running a profile up in tyre's (31.5"/803mm). Level 6 for 32"/813mm tyre's and that leaves levels 7,8,9 and 10 for those running 33" or 35" tyre's.

In the last week I have done 492kms, a mixture of slow city stop start, suburban commute, freeway and steep windy hills driving, and I can not fault the new program.
    It took about hundred kms for the adaptive learning function of the INVECS II to get used to the new program but now it seems to have settled down.

Unfortunately it will be some time before I get off road or do some heavy towing but if initial impressions are an indication then I am not expecting any problems.

So if you are running oversize tyre's or simply want a more refined Auto Mate experience I suggest you get a software upgrade. If you have been sitting on the fence "umming and ahhing" on whether to invest in an Auto Mate or not, then you do not know what you are missing out on. Treat yourself to an early Christmas present!

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• colmat
      • Mar 2015
      • Taree

Does the new software update also change the selection from 4th to 5th gear? Is it possible to adjust the speed at which 5th gear is engaged? I find the challenger is more economical, more responsive and generally better to drive when left in 4th gear below 100km/h.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

I believe there is a 5th gear lock out that can be selected, I haven't tried or needed to use this function.

However Auto Mate does not hold onto TC locked 5th gear if the engine load is too great, it will change back to 4th TC locked. In some circumstances it will tend to hunt between 5th TC locked and 4th TC locked and if this becomes annoying then I just select 4th with the paddles but still leave the trans in "D".

The factory program selects 5th way too early and then unlocks the TC rather than change down to 4th TC locked.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• PeePee
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2012
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          I believe there is a 5th gear lock out that can be selected, I haven't tried or needed to use this function.

However Auto Mate does not hold onto TC locked 5th gear if the engine load is too great, it will change back to 4th TC locked. In some circumstances it will tend to hunt between 5th TC locked and 4th TC locked and if this becomes annoying then I just select 4th with the paddles but still leave the trans in "D".

The factory program selects 5th way too early and then unlocks the TC rather than change down to 4th TC locked.

OJ.
          A double click of the automate button locks out 5th gear. I select that option on a windy road or around town. When you turn the ignition off it resets to normal mode and you will need to reselect 5th lock out with another double click. A simple double click unlocks and returns 5th gear.

Really looking forward to the software update.
          MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• Challenged1
            • Oct 2019
            • Pyrenees Victoria

Oh dear,
            Now I HAVE to spend more money!

Comment

• colmat
              • Mar 2015
              • Taree

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

OJ.
              Thanks OJ, I'm hoping to avoid the need to lock out 5th gear everytime I jump in car but would rather see the car delay engaging 5th until higher speeds. Can either you or M&M confirm whether the adjustable settings achieve this effect? Is there a graph/table available showing the difference in rpm/speed/gear changes for each level? Thanks

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by colmat View Post
                Thanks OJ, I'm hoping to avoid the need to lock out 5th gear everytime I jump in car but would rather see the car delay engaging 5th until higher speeds. Can either you or M&M confirm whether the adjustable settings achieve this effect? Is there a graph/table available showing the difference in rpm/speed/gear changes for each level? Thanks
                When in Auto Mate mode, 5th gear is only selected when there is enough vehicle speed is sufficient to be able to have the TC locked and not have the engine labour. The only time I can think that you might want to lock out 5th gear is if you were towing. Occasionally I find Auto Mate hunts between TC locked 4th and 5th so I just paddle shift down to 4th until the road flattens out and the average speed increases then paddle shift back to 5th.

The new adjustable feature of the new software, shifts all gear up shifts and down shifts by 1% per level, there are 10 levels to choose from, level 4 is for standard diameter tyre's, I am currently running level 6 with my 38mm oversize diameter tyre's.
                You can not alter individual gear shift points because of the possible negative effect to the gear up and down shifts of the adjacent gears.

Once you have had Auto Mate on your Challenger you will wonder why you procrastinated for so long.

OJ.

Comment

• m_and_m
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by colmat View Post
                  Hi colmat,
                  As OJ said, the latest version of the sw allows you to adjust the gear shift pattern to increase or decease from my default setting (which is 3). So, yes, you can adjust 5th gear until a higher speed (for the same engine load).
                  Also, in SPORT mode you can disable the pedal_mode function if you want. Pedal_mode will unlock the TCC if, for the current RPM, there is not enough torque to accelerate or hold the speed. So, with pedal_mode OFF in SPORT, the TCC will stay locked regardless, and driver has full control of when to change the gears for more power.

Auto-mate is very customisable, and can be adjusted to suit driver preference and vehicle customisation (like large tyres).
                  2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                  2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                  Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• pb4x2
                    • May 2015
                    • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Hi OJ / Marshall,
                    Sounds like the update will suit my vehicle perfectly and I will apply for one in the near future. My 2012 PB is a 2wd with a 3.9:1 diff and up sized 265 70 16 ht tyres so identical to standard 4wd. Driving in a 70 kph zone is a pain as it hunts between 4th and 5th so being able to adjust the up shift to about 75 kph will be brilliant.
                    2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• Gusey
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Townsville

Hi Marshall

Can you please advise what would I expect from the update? I have a remap "Roosystems touring and towing", 265/75r16's and an IDrive, just trying to ascertain the benefits other than the fuel savings.

Cheers
                      2015 PC Auto/ Roo Systems ECU Remap/ 2.5inch Roo Systems Exhaust/ Safari Snorkel/ M&M 4x4 Auto Mate/ Munji EGR Delete/ OME Lift Kit/ 265 75 R16 Hankook A/T's/ Smartbar/ Rhino Flatrack/ ARB Awning/ 80ltr fridge/ 120ah Dual Battery/ GME UHF/ Diff Breathers.

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

2019 Software Update

Originally posted by Gusey View Post
                        Hi Marshall

Can you please advise what would I expect from the update? I have a remap "Roosystems touring and towing", 265/75r16's and an IDrive, just trying to ascertain the benefits other than the fuel savings.

Cheers
                        Hi Gusey,

Improvement are as follows:

1. lower standby power consumption (13 mA - a typical OBD reader is 30mA)
                        2. With the iDrive on, you may have found the gear changes a little delayed once you backoff the accelerator. This has been is improved.
                        3. Larger tyres: With larger tyres, under light acceleration the gear shifts were a little too early causing the engine to labour a little after the gear change (using more fuel). Having adjustable shift pattern setting now allows you to shift the change points a little higher to compensate for the larger tyres. Also allows you to adjust if you just prefer the shifts a higher revs.
                        4. The headlight LED overhead setting is now stored in EEPROM. I found it annoying to need to reset it after every rest break when touring with headlights on.
                        5. Improved robustness to error conditions (such as bad CANBUs data due to a poor/dodgy connection)
                        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                          • Feb 2014
                          • Adelaide

Adjustable shift pattern setting

Hi Marshall,
                          Is the adjusted shift pattern setting covered in the install manual? as I cannot see this in your online user manual.

Looking forward to buying/ installing.

Cheers
                          Paul T
                          PB Challenger 4x4 Auto

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
                            Hi Marshall,
                            Is the adjusted shift pattern setting covered in the install manual? as I cannot see this in your online user manual.

Looking forward to buying/ installing.

Cheers
                            Paul T
                            PB Challenger 4x4 Auto
                            Thanks. I realise now that I need to update the manual link on the web site.
                            The new operating manual has the details.
                            Will get to it soon.

Comment

• Gusey
                              • Nov 2015
                              • Townsville

Refitted the module after receiving the update, set the shift pattern to compensate for the larger tyres and all I can say is thanks Marshall, so much better, great job.
                              2015 PC Auto/ Roo Systems ECU Remap/ 2.5inch Roo Systems Exhaust/ Safari Snorkel/ M&M 4x4 Auto Mate/ Munji EGR Delete/ OME Lift Kit/ 265 75 R16 Hankook A/T's/ Smartbar/ Rhino Flatrack/ ARB Awning/ 80ltr fridge/ 120ah Dual Battery/ GME UHF/ Diff Breathers.

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Gusey View Post
                                Refitted the module after receiving the update, set the shift pattern to compensate for the larger tyres and all I can say is thanks Marshall, so much better, great job.
                                Are you using level 5 or 6?

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X