• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulF
    • Oct 2009
    • Mareeba

Rear coil spring insulators

Hello all

I have just replaced my rear rear springs on the NS Pajero after one broke!!! I have done a straight swop (King Springs). I noticed that the lower insulators were in a pretty bad state but pressed ahead in any case. I am now getting the occasional "clunk" from the rear end and I was wondering whether I should have replaced the flogged out insulators? I am assuming they prevent metal to metal contact, but some people say they only prevent road noise and are not essential. Has anyone had the same issues?

I broke the spring when I jacked up the car off the rear diff support to replace the back breaks - I assumed as they had done over 200,000 kms I should not have been surprised that they broke!! In replacing the springs I followed the various instructions posted on the forum, which was great. Other than perhaps replacing the rear insulators, is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Kind regards, Paul
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Is the clunk happening when driving along over bumps, potholes etc. If so it may well be the insulators......also what was the condition of the upper insulators. They stop metal on metal contact and not just road noise.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

With a body on chassis construction like the Challenger there are no coil insulators top or bottom on the rear coils but on the Monocoque constructed Pajero there are coils insulators installed top and bottom. Top insulators are pretty robust but the bottom insulators wear out very quickly, genuine MM rubber insulators last the longest and to date we have not been able to find a more durable alternative.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• twisted32
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        With a body on chassis construction like the Challenger there are no coil insulators top or bottom on the rear coils but on the Monocoque constructed Pajero there are coils insulators installed top and bottom. Top insulators are pretty robust but the bottom insulators wear out very quickly, genuine MM rubber insulators last the longest and to date we have not been able to find a more durable alternative.

OJ.
        Not sure about that OJ, I have not had any issues since changing to the Polytuff polyurethane lower isolators with the EHD springs.
        MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
          Not sure about that OJ, I have not had any issues since changing to the Polytuff polyurethane lower isolators with the EHD springs.
          Well you kept that a secret, problem is it has been a long time since we have had a catch up or trip together. NJswb, M&M and Pajero 12 all need new bottom coil rubbers so it looks like some more suspension working bee(r)s!

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Well you kept that a secret, problem is it has been a long time since we have had a catch up or trip together. NJswb, M&M and Pajero 12 all need new bottom coil rubbers so it looks like some more suspension working bee(r)s!

OJ.
            Add me to the list needing new bottom coil insulators!
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
              Add me to the list needing new bottom coil insulators!
              That would be a big day, 8 rear coils lower spring pads to change in a single day, might need to be another pizza and beer suspension day! 3 rear suspension is our current record!

OJ.

Comment

• PaulF
                • Oct 2009
                • Mareeba

...thanks all for the advice - I didn't check the condition of the upper insulators but I have bitten the bullet and ordered upper and lower replacements. This will be my third set of insulators - not bad for a vehicle that has done 330,000kms and has done five 'tours of duty' to the Cape!!!

I ordered the replacement insulators from Kieron at bushskinz4x4.

Kind regards, Paul

Comment

• Dunk
                  • Jan 2008
                  • melbourne

Originally posted by PaulF View Post
                  ...thanks all for the advice - I didn't check the condition of the upper insulators but I have bitten the bullet and ordered upper and lower replacements. This will be my third set of insulators - not bad for a vehicle that has done 330,000kms and has done five 'tours of duty' to the Cape!!!

I ordered the replacement insulators from Kieron at bushskinz4x4.

Kind regards, Paul
                  On my NH l used some hose l split down the middle put on spring worked perfect cheap alternative though on my NW get proper insulators

Comment

• Backpaje
                    • Oct 2014
                    • Blackburn Vic

A few years ago now i replaced originals with the Bilstein Lovells setup in MD. Ever since the rear top of springs have squeeked like mad over speed humps etc. I found the springs are wider in the top coil to that of the housing and therefore rubbing on the outer edge of the springs and nothing to do with the top insulators that are in good nick.......
                    Worth a look.
                    2007 VRX DID Auto Champagne; MM Bull bar; 100w HID Spotties; SPV Mod; Cooper ST Maxx 265/65/18's; Prodigy P2 controller; full roof racks; diff and trans breathers. B&L S/D lift kit; polyairs; internal LED's; Bushskinz X4 bash plates; dual battery kit; waeco cfx 40; Auto valve kit upgrade
                    Lots to come in time ;

Comment

• NTBenny
                      • May 2017
                      • Newcastle

^^^^^ I believe this is exactly what my rear Lovells are doing. Any sharp bump and they squeak. I replaced the upper and lower spring insulators with the PolyTuff items on the weekend and I could clearly see the chaffing of the spring tops on the suspension upper steel work. Sadly the new insulators have made no improvement to the squeaking. Bugger! Has raised the rear of the car approx. 10mm though. My OEM bottom insulators were shot.

Benny
                      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• geopaj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                        ^^^^^ I believe this is exactly what my rear Lovells are doing. Any sharp bump and they squeak. I replaced the upper and lower spring insulators with the PolyTuff items on the weekend and I could clearly see the chaffing of the spring tops on the suspension upper steel work. Sadly the new insulators have made no improvement to the squeaking. Bugger! Has raised the rear of the car approx. 10mm though. My OEM bottom insulators were shot.

Benny
                        I bet it’s the handbrake shoe squeaking. It’s not an uncommon issue for Gen 4 Pajs
                        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• NTBenny
                          • May 2017
                          • Newcastle

Hmmm that's a thought. Might have to take a look at them. Squeaking did seem to start after I installed the springs though.

For those looking to replace their rear spring insulators the PolyTuff part numbers are MC0147K (Upper) and MC0148K (Lower). They are thicker than the OEM units and look like they should last. Time will tell though.

http://www.polytuff.com.au/#

Benny.
                          Last edited by NTBenny; 05-12-18, 08:21 AM.
                          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• geopaj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                            Hmmm that's a thought. Might have to take a look at them. Squeaking did seem to start after I installed the springs though.

For those looking to replace their rear spring insulators the PolyTuff part numbers are MC0147K (Upper) and MC0148K (Lower). They are thicker than the OEM units and look like they should last. Time will tell though.

http://www.polytuff.com.au/#

Benny.
                            Find a section of road where the squeak is repeatable, and drive it while putting some pressure on the handbrake (enough to provide some resistance and thus remove the free play from the handbrake shoes).

If the squeak stops, it will confirm it’s the handbrake shoes.
                            Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• NTBenny
                              • May 2017
                              • Newcastle

Thanks very much for the tip, I will try that.

Benny.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X