• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cate03
    • Jun 2010
    • Sydney

Side Steps - How tough are they?

I've been fortunate on my 4WD adventures not to hook up on my side steps so far.
    Having a previous 4WD with mega sliders, I used to give them a pounding without any concern, however, I'm cautious with the body mounted steps on the Challenger.
    Question is, has anyone inadvertently had the opportunity to test the strength/durability of the Challenger steps, and how did they hold up?

Cheers,
    Carl
  • jimsiron
    • Feb 2010
    • Mildura, gateway to the outback

More decoration than functional.
    2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

They only do two things...

...reduces stone-chipping + helps your kids climb in.
      Don't expect them to do anything more!

Cheers
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Usually first to kiss goodbye on a good track.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• LukeS
          • Mar 2010
          • Brisbane

agree. my experiance with them is they are stronger then the alloy platform type side step but they still only bolt to the body and not the chassis rail. I've already bent one side up once so will be replacing them with sliders this year.
          Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

I have seen these type of steps destroyed on other vehicles so would not like to hit anything with them at all.

I would like to fit sliders but would like to know the effect on the side impact for the airbags. Would sliders actually be legal on a vehicle fitted with side airbags? Given that front bars have to be airbag compatible I would like any opinion, facts about the legal side of things.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Brisbane

I have given mine a few good hits. I feel they are quite a lot stronger than the Triton aluminum ones. I still would not wish to weigh the whole car on them tho. Maybe somebody will develop the sliders soon. I would purchase them (what haven't I purchased ) and could not really see that they would alter the air bags to greatly. IMO the more steel between me and the next guy the better!
              NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• LukeS
                • Mar 2010
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
                Maybe somebody will develop the sliders soon. I would purchase them (what haven't I purchased ) and could not really see that they would alter the air bags to greatly. IMO the more steel between me and the next guy the better!
                I've have beached mine on the side step.. nothing a 2 man bounce couldnt fix... But they are better then the old alloy steps.

APT fabrications in Tingalpa will do up a custom set fitted for $700. They do a good job too, a mate just got some done for his cruiser - very nice and I think on the challenger their is an inch or so clearance to be gained!
                Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X