• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shogun 2000
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Dodges Ferry, Hobart, Tassie

So is letter legit. If i handed my pajero over to them and taken a lowball cash offer I would be sooo pissed off..
    2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

• elcidra
      • Feb 2020
      • Sydney

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
      The NL plugs directly to the inflator and the NM uses a patch lead so you will need the skills and kahunas to patch in an aftermarket 2 pin plug.
      If you are simply swapping an inflator from an NM into an NL, I don't understand why you need to patch the leads? Doesn't the plug on the NL lead fit the socket on the NM inflator? I thought the sockets on both inflators would be identical.

This is the NL module:

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

[QUOTE=elcidra;629272]If you are simply swapping an inflator from an NM into an NL, I don't understand why you need to patch the leads? Doesn't the plug on the NL lead fit the socket on the NM inflator? I thought the sockets on both inflators would be identical./QUOTE]

The NM module has a patch lead on it that doesn't appear to have a release clip on it and a single use plug to stop people like me playing with them. The NM also doesn't have the metal clips to align and hold the plug.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• elcidra
          • Feb 2020
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
          The NM module has a patch lead on it that doesn't appear to have a release clip on it and a single use plug to stop people like me playing with them. The NM also doesn't have the metal clips to align and hold the plug.
          Thanks for explaining this.

Comment

• Barneymutt
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Regents Park. Qld

I know people are probably over this, I certainly am, however, I thought I'd share with you.

I've just re-rego'ed my '98 NL with no issue. (Qld)

I've done a bit of research on the issue so I went to my local Mitsy Dealer to enquire about the process.

Dealer: "If it has the original Steering Wheel, fail. Not looking any further".

Me: "I have replaced the Steering Wheel and Airbag"

Dealer: "If it has Mitsubishi or Airbag on the Horn Pad, fail. Not looking any further".
            "If the Steering Wheel is not Genuine or no Airbag, Pass".
            "We don't have any numbers to check and don't know what we are looking for"
            "Bring it in and we'll arrange a valuation"

Me: (Flabergasted) "Well, it's not for sale and it's only voluntary on Mitsys part".

Dealer: "No, it's mandatory and you won't be able to re-register it".

Me: "Aaah.....No and Yes, I will.

Dealer: "Ok then".

Me: "So, You're not going to check it?"

Dealer: "No"

I have concluded 95% of people have no idea what they are talking about and believe what they're told.

I believe MMA is trying to get on top of this before it becomes mandatory, in which case I believe they will have to fix it. Time will tell, I could be wrong.

Although, nothing will be done at the moment due to Corona.

Comment

• elcidra
              • Feb 2020
              • Sydney

MMC has filed documents with the relevant authority in Japan concerning Recall number 4659 - Airbag device (inflator) announced on 30 Jan 2020. These documents provide notification that the formal start date for this recall in Japan is: 17 Mar 2020.

Details of improvement measures
              Replace the airbag inflator with a substitute as a preventive measure for all vehicles. As soon as the parts are ready, we will inform you again about the parts replacement.

Measures to inform automobile users and automobile disassembly and maintenance businesses
              - Users: Notify by direct mail.
              - Automobile dismantling and maintenance business: Posted in the magazine issued by Nisseiren.

- For vehicles that have undergone the improvement, a No.4659 sticker will be attached near the door striker at the driver's side door opening.

Refer: https://translate.google.com.au/tran...ml&prev=search

The replacement inflators are not available yet but just as an additional indication that MMC is serious, a comprehensive set of instructions (in Japanese but you'll get the gist) about this recall has been produced for dismantlers:

See http://www.jarp.org/pdfs/information..._ab_recall.pdf

So much for buy-backs being the only solution.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Maria Coast Tasmania.

While the Australian recall remains "voluntary" MMAL can dictate ALL the conditions. It's only official obligation is to "remove the faulty part from the market place". MMAL have decided to do this by OFFERING to buy back the affected vehicles. They do not have to offer a replacement or repair of the part in fact they don't have to offer an alternative to the buy back at all. There is no time limit to a voluntary recall and there is no legal obligation for the consumer to oblige them in selling them their vehicle.
                Note what wording is used in a voluntary recall letter, it is full of words like MAY, RECOMMEND, SUGGEST, POSSIBILITY, etc. Nowhere will you see MUST, MANDATORY or WILL, they are just hoping this FIX will appease the govt.
                BUT if the federal government decides that MMAL is not taking all necessary actions to remove the affected parts from the market place a mandatory recall can be put in place. At that point the federal minister for consumer affairs dictates the details. He can stipulate how the affected part will be removed (and he could well decide that a buy back is OK....or not) from service and the time line for this to take place. I feel MMAL is hoping enough people let their Pajero's be bought back so they can use the figures to justify this as THE way for a manditory recall to be conditioned.
                I made a decision when this recall was first instigated that there was no way I would allow a corporation to dictate to me when I should sell, and in consequence buy, a vehicle.
                I have five vehicles, all of which serve a specific function and my NL does exactly what I want of it. When (or if) the time comes to sell it I would rather it goes cheap to someone who will appreciate it's condition and use it for what it was intended for than see it crushed.
                My vehicle is no longer subject to this recall and I will be driving it for some years to come.
                These are my personal views only and should only be read as such.

Tom
                1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                1953 Morris Minor ute
                1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• harry000
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Berwick

Finally got my offer after 8 weeks and multiple calls.

I'm very happy with the offer of $7,520. Although I dont get back all the money I put into the car it is higher than I was expecting.

Comment

• Scrambler
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by harry000 View Post

I'm very happy with the offer of $7,520. Although I dont get back all the money I put into the car it is higher than I was expecting.
                    Glad someone got more than they were expecting. I got 1/2 what I could prove I had spent in the last 18 months. Some wrecker has a bargain. But it did get me into the Pajero I would have bought if I could have back then, other than the ABS and airbags I wanted...
                    =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                    =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• tomwithannl
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by harry000 View Post

That's a pretty good offer. Getting more into the price of replacing it with something not too bad. But then again only if you are happy getting rid of the NL anyway.

Tom
                      1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                      1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• (AUST)Mod
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Perth

Just got $7999 for an Exceed in Perth

Comment

• aussieguy
                          • Oct 2015
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by (AUST)Mod View Post
                          Just got $7999 for an Exceed in Perth
                          Thats more like it, now if you wanted to buy a same year 4x4 wagon your in the money you'd expect.

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
                          That's a pretty good offer. Getting more into the price of replacing it with something not too bad. But then again only if you are happy getting rid of the NL anyway.

Tom
                          I brought a NL Escape because it was cheap ($1200 with 320K) then spent $8K making it a weapon so < $10K for a very capable go almost anywhere vehicle.
                          Biggest expense was 66% reduction gears and new heavy duty clutch $3k just for parts.
                          $2.5 for engine and maintenance to repair anything that was worn.
                          2" lift
                          33" tyres
                          and another $3k on bits that could be removed and used on another vehicle.

Nothing they offer will buy confidence and NL specific mods that have been done.
                          Last edited by aussieguy; 26-04-20, 01:57 PM.
                          05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                          02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by aussieguy View Post
                            Thats more like it, now if you wanted to buy a same year 4x4 wagon your in the money you'd expect.

yep I can see NL non airbag models also commanding a higher value as well now and this allows owners to make a viable purchase for replacement
                            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• tomwithannl
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by aussieguy View Post

Nothing they offer will buy confidence and NL specific mods that have been done.
                              You nailed it with the confidence reference.
                              No matter what you buy with the money offered when could you trust it, with confidence, to take you "there AND back"?
                              If you were someone who didn't use their NL for 4x4ing or towing then maybe letting it be bought back and buying a sedan etc would make sense, but if you use it for "getting away" I for one wouldn't (and don't) want to start from scratch with another vehicle.

Tom
                              1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• neilo
                                • Feb 2008

About to part with my favourite vehicle, it's only got about a week of rego left. It's been a great car it's done 320000ks doesn't use oil it's gas converted five speed manual. I also own a NW paj but I prefer my NL. It really pees me off being left at the mercy of mitsi as to what they will give me for it. Still can't see why the bags can't simply be removed and I can carry on driving it.
                                NW diesel auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X