• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starjunk
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
    Great work. I will be up for one with the following - 1 switch 2 gauges compartment and usb. But I will measure the size of the usb recess I would need. What is the largest diameter hole you can get in that entire top to bottom space please?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    So if I understand correctly, you're looking at a smaller compartment, so that you get 2 gauges, a switch, a compartment AND a USB connection...?
    Why not use one of these, and I'll make the compartment smaller and fit an extra switch hole... Makes it look nice and neat, USB same shape as switch. Just a thought. And with that as an arrangement, I would suggest having the USB on the passenger side of the compartment.
    image.jpg
    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• rodsfromday
      • Jul 2017
      • Kingaroy

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
      So if I understand correctly, you're looking at a smaller compartment, so that you get 2 gauges, a switch, a compartment AND a USB connection...?
      Why not use one of these, and I'll make the compartment smaller and fit an extra switch hole... Makes it look nice and neat, USB same shape as switch. Just a thought. And with that as an arrangement, I would suggest having the USB on the passenger side of the compartment.
      [ATTACH]37242[/ATTACH]
      Something like this. I was looking at something like the first diagram. I want to fit a small speaker in there for my UHF. But I also like that usb pic you have. How does that hook up to allow for charging and audio? With the new radio i would like to get, I will bring the usb cable out to that location so I can easily plug in my sub stick with my music. Hope it makes sense

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

45mm would be the max. It's a squeeze, but do-able.
        Unless you wanted to sacrifice the flap, but I have a better idea.... To mount the speaker on the top of the compartment, facing down into it. Then you could use a much larger speaker, which will improve sound quality. Maybe a 3 inch speaker.
        You'd have to tell me the dimensions of your speaker, ie diameter of diaphragm and distance between the holes. And not cram your compartment full of stuff :-)
        The USB device I suggested has one port for audio that has a USB lead coming out of it, and one port for charging that has power wires. Easy. I can supply this.
        So this is what I'm thinking.... Sorry for the poor quality doodle. Fat fingers.
        image.jpg

Comment

• starjunk
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2011
          • Sydney

With this you would retain the flap.
          The reason I put the switch next to the voltmeters is because if you have 2 batteries you'll probably have a link switch for starting off the second battery, so that's a logical place for it the USB on the passenger side means that there will be no chance of cables getting in the driver's way.

Comment

• rodsfromday
            • Jul 2017
            • Kingaroy

Was thinking of doing one of these speakers. Just lying around so I thought i might use it somewhere.
            The battery gauges will be as follows. Batt 1 will be for main car voltage while batt 2 will be reading my little pop top camper battery voltage being fed from roof mounted solar panels.

Comment

• rodsfromday
              • Jul 2017
              • Kingaroy

Speaker diameter 41mm

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Got it. Ok. I'll hav a play with the design. Thickness of speaker edge, and a side profile photo will be useful. I hope that speaker will be loud enough. Maybe try it first? Looks like it's come out of an old telephone....

Comment

• rodsfromday
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Kingaroy

38mm hole diameter should be ok. Yes i hope its going to be loud enough. I will test later on. I have a bit bigger one as well that i could use with about 60mm diameter. Thanx

Comment

• starjunk
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Sydney

38mm hole diameter should be ok. Yes i hope its going to be loud enough. I will test later on. I have a bit bigger one as well that i could use with about 60mm diameter. Thanx

Test the speakers yet? Which one did you settle on? Small or big?

Comment

• rodsfromday
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Kingaroy

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                      Test the speakers yet? Which one did you settle on? Small or big?
                      Hey. My apologies, its been a madhouse here. I haven't had time to test but will in the next couple of days. Sorry for the holdup.
                      Thanx

Comment

• rodsfromday
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Kingaroy

I will go with the bigger speaker. It was my daughter's school project and runs a 9V amplifier. I will get a regulated 9V supply for it.
                        So its 1 switch, 2 gauges and that USB connector. Is that correct?

Comment

• starjunk
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • Sydney

I will go with the bigger speaker. It was my daughter's school project and runs a 9V amplifier. I will get a regulated 9V supply for it.
                          So its 1 switch, 2 gauges and that USB connector. Is that correct?
                          Yep, sounds right. I'll send you a PM to confirm a couple of things.

Comment

• starjunk
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Sydney

Can't seem to pm pictures, so have to post this here... Apologies for that.
                            Rodsfromday, this is what I have come up with for you. It retains the flap, and places the speaker on top of the compartment, downward facing. What do you think?
                            I can only fit 2 switch receptacles, one each side, which you can use for either USB or for a switch.
                            Cheers, Starjunk.
                            image.jpg

Comment

• rodsfromday
                              • Jul 2017
                              • Kingaroy

Dont know how I missed this post, sorry. Could have had it already. What is the square opening underneath the gauges? Yip that looks good. I already fitted my LED light bar switch next to the sonar button but i knew i had to leave enough slack in the wires for this. So I will have a switch one side and USB on the other. This is the end of my USB extension cable for my HU, normally plug my USB stick in for music. If that could be accommodated/recessed in there as well, it would be excellent. Dimensions 16mmX10mm opening. Will then just glue it in. Sorry for all the mucking around.
                              Let's make it happen. By the way, how do I remove that holder, please?
                              Thanx
                              Rodney
                              Attached Files

Comment

• starjunk
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2011
                                • Sydney

Dont know how I missed this post, sorry. Could have had it already. What is the square opening underneath the gauges? Yip that looks good. I already fitted my LED light bar switch next to the sonar button but i knew i had to leave enough slack in the wires for this. So I will have a switch one side and USB on the other. This is the end of my USB extension cable for my HU, normally plug my USB stick in for music. If that could be accommodated/recessed in there as well, it would be excellent. Dimensions 16mmX10mm opening. Will then just glue it in. Sorry for all the mucking around.
                                Let's make it happen. By the way, how do I remove that holder, please?
                                Thanx
                                Rodney
                                I'll send you a PM

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X