X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwarius
    • Aug 2015
    • Slovakia

as madfisher said. the taste of a carp depends on enviroment. i´m from europe and we do have a lot of carp waters here. if you fish in a muddy water you have to prepare the carp with a lot of spice and aromas to overcome the smell and taste of mud. but in a clear lake with gravel bottom its a very tasty fish.

also we do consider carp as a sportfish in europe. a 15-20kg carp can figth with you for more then 20minutes when you are fishing on 0,30mm line.

its sad that because of human mistake of introducing the fish to free waters in Australia, the fish is blamend. in my opinion every fish has its beauty and its not responsible for human decisions.

happy fishing for everyone.
    2011 Black Exceed Pajero - 265/60 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3, ...space for upgrades .

Comment

• tubes
      • Jun 2015
      • south australia

I have heard that they are working on a virus that will kill the carp but no other fish. It is in the trial stages at the moment. Let's hope it will work.
      08 Ns Pajero Exceed, duel batteries,light force spot lights,roof basket,A/t tyres.

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by tubes View Post
        I have heard that they are working on a virus that will kill the carp but no other fish. It is in the trial stages at the moment. Let's hope it will work.
        I remember viewing something stating exactly that.
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Old Paj
          Pajero Club Life Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Heathcote, Vic

Carp

Yes there was an article in the Weekly Times a few weeks ago indicating a virus has been identified that kills off carp very quickly. An outbreak in Japan (I think it said in 2005) killed off 70% of carp. It has apparently been under test for 8 years and is currently awaiting approval for closed trails in local waters from I think 4 separate government departments.

I think it said that once released it was expected that our streams and rivers would be carp free within 12 months.

My concern would be the millions of rotting carp around our rivers and what their effect would be on other things.
          NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• kiwarius
            • Aug 2015
            • Slovakia

its great to hear that there is a "solution" for the habitat, to solve the problem with an introduced species. but I would be a bit concerned about it. because the most exciting thing about viruses is that they are able to mutate. just take a look at a very common flu.
            2011 Black Exceed Pajero - 265/60 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3, ...space for upgrades .

Comment

• madfisher
              • Apr 2015
              • Bathurst

Firstly the kill off rate is estimated to be 80%, so it will be like rabbits slow them down but not remove them all together.
              I to have concerns about firstly the roting carcases in water supplies, and the virus mutating and jumping species.
              As flyfishers we are becoming very efficient at catching them and removing them from the system.
              Yesterday I'm landed 9 on fly out of the beautifull Turon river up to 82cm and 16lb.

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

Originally posted by madfisher View Post
                Firstly the kill off rate is estimated to be 80%, so it will be like rabbits slow them down but not remove them all together.
                I to have concerns about firstly the roting carcases in water supplies, and the virus mutating and jumping species.
                As flyfishers we are becoming very efficient at catching them and removing them from the system.
                Yesterday I'm landed 9 on fly out of the beautifull Turon river up to 82cm and 16lb.
                If you dont mind, what fly's are you using? I have a fly rod and have done very little this may help me get used to it
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by tubes View Post
                  About 8 years ago, I helped a friend who contracts out Audio & Visual equipment and services for conferences. One of the trips we did was a marathon, covering over 12000 km in less than 20 days, including from memory 9 venues where we had to set up and after the event break up and travel to the next venue (not much time to see this wonderful country, but it was a good trip). One of the trips was all about Feral Pests. European Carp was one of the topics discussed.

At the time, they were gauging the extent of the problem. They found that the carp were breeding mainly in the Macquarrie marshes area of central West NSW, and up the Darling River. They had a fairly specific breeding season. The focus of the attack was going to be to hit them in the breeding areas, when they came there for that purpose. They were trialling fish traps of differing designs, and also the virus (Koi Herpes Virus) which was specific to the Carp, and not to the native fishes. They also were looking at genetic manipulation to produce daughterless fish so that the breeding could be controlled. Sadly, I don't have the latest information onany of these measures, but in 2008, they were all in their infancy. If you are interested, try looking up "Pestsmart" on google for the latest information.

At each of the shipping locks on the Murray, they have installed fish ladders to allow the native fish to migrate up and downstream as they wish, but to exclude Carp from the process. The theory was that native fish could jump up a 230 mm waterfall but the Carp could not (WRONG!). Anyway, they built the ladders at each of the barrages on the Murray, consisting of individual boxes with a Vee notch allowing water to flow down forom one box to the next. They have a mesh barrier at the top, where they can catch all the fish trying to migrate. They manually sort out the natives and Carp and dump the carp into a bin. This is really a token effort at Carp control, but at least is worth a try. Initially, they didn't cover the fish boxes, and the birds had a wonderful time feeding on the fish. They have now covered the ladders to stop this.

At Yarrawonga, instead of a fish ladder, they have a fish lift. This is a vertical shaft, with a gate at the top and bottom of the shaft. They close off the bottom gate and let the water fill the shaft. A grille floor is then raised and any fish in the lift are brought to the top. Again, Carp are invited to enter a wheelie bin whilst the native fish are allowed to pass through into the reservoir. Apparently a few years ago, a large Murray Cod took up residence in the lift shaft. He rode up & down for a few weeks, quietly ambushing anything which came into the lift shaft. Eventually he too was lifted out of the shaft and placed into the reservoir to continue his feeding as he should have been doing.

Comment

• Ausdigga
                    • Sep 2013
                    • East Gippsland

Another use for carp!

When locals catch carp and wonder what to do with them I offer to get rid of them, and I do , in my veggie patch where I intend growing pumpkins ,we get up to 24 Queensland blues off one vine ( verified ) Try it if you grow your own.
                    Pajero NW,2013 GLX.R Full egr block,catch can, spare wheel lifter, bushskinz plates, full width shelf,engel fridge, OME suspension and 50mm lift, SPV mod.BD Aux tank, fan cooled transmission cooler with more to come! Towing an Opalite 540 caravan.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ausdigga View Post
                      When locals catch carp and wonder what to do with them I offer to get rid of them, and I do , in my veggie patch where I intend growing pumpkins ,we get up to 24 Queensland blues off one vine ( verified ) Try it if you grow your own.

Any fish is a fantastic garden fertiliser..
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Lost1
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                        If you dont mind, what fly's are you using? I have a fly rod and have done very little this may help me get used to it
                        Not sure what madfisher uses, I have created a burley trail using bread and used a piece of white foam as a fly. Get the foam balls from spotlight, about 5-6mm diameter. From memory a size 6 or 8 hook did the job. Bit like larger version of the trout roe fly. Works best in a lagoon or other still water.

If you found a yellow ball you could use corn to attract the Carp.

Bit off topic, but I use the same fly and tactics to catch mullet. The mullet usually end up as live or slab baits for mulloway. A 6wt rod and light tippet means you have a bit of fun.
                        09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• madfisher
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Bathurst

In reply to what flies we use, its a case of match the hatch. We fish mainly wild mountain rivers like the Turon, winburdale, Abercrombie rivers etc and find different flies work best in different streams. In the Turon it has a huge population of nymphs , so I tend to use a large nymph pattern on a long shank 8 hook, usually with a black glass bead near the eye.(You can buy theses at spotlight) Woolly worms in size 8, with a small red tag also work well.
                          We do not burley, but rely on casting to feeding carp spotted . Poloriods and a wide brimmed hat are essential. We will often cover up to 5ks one way.
                          Woolly buggars also work well, and often pink works well , and is easily seen so you know when the carp sucks it down. I use a 6wt fly rod with a 7wt line for easy close in casting, but usually use 12lb fluro tippet.
                          Their is masses of videos on you tube on how to catch carp on fly.
                          Its great fun, but a challenge and its helping our native fish.
                          Cheers Pete

Comment

• silk
                            • Oct 2015
                            • blair athol

crabs

best bait in the country for catching crabs in drop nets

Comment

• peejay68au
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • nsw

Read a news article the other day that they are releasing the herpes virus into I think the Murray to kill the carp.

Won't be drinking the water me thinks.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Jimboy
                                • May 2015
                                • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Did someone say Carp?!

Cheers,
                                Jim.
                                4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X