• Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

My NT Platinum

Hello.

I'm posting this from a motel room in Cobar, half way home after buying a Pajero in Brisbane. This is part sharing of info for anybody interested, and part recording my thoughts...

I bought my NT from a forum member - details can be found here. Dealing with Paul during the purchase was a real pleasure, and he even filled the tanks for me - that's both of them, about 170 litres of diesel thrown into the deal. Where do you find service like that these days?

As my Paj looked on the Friday afternoon:

After sealing the deal, I spent the weekend in Brisbane catching up with friends and re-visiting old haunts, and also bought a set (5 seats) of sheepskin seat covers from another forum member.

First impressions were good (duh! - I bought it!) and it was good to drive around town - despite needing a little time to become accustomed to the turbo lag when trying to merge into a gap in traffic. Turning circle is better than my NJ shorty, and I'm still not making the most of the reversing camera. I struggled to learn the MMCS navigation too, but a large part of that was carbon based error.

This morning was the beginning of the long drive back to Adelaide. The run out to Warwick was uneventful (if you discount innumerable road works), and I was very happy with the ease with which the DID pulled up Cunningham's. Average fuel consumption went from 11.7 at the bottom to 12.1 at the top.

I topped up the tanks in Warwick, and headed for the border at Goondiwindi. Through Queensland, cruising on a GPS 103 km/h, indicated consumption dropped to 11.3 - then I hit NSW, where cruising speed ramped to an indicated 120 (GPS 113) in the 110 zones. At the end of the day, average consumption was indicated at 12.0. Somewhere along the way I stopped and took these photos:

Highway performance is good, if a little noisy. But I can live with it. Overtaking, even up hills, is easy - I'll need to be careful.

I can't live with MMCS as it is. Bluetooth performance with my phone (Sony Xperia Z) is woeful. At cruising speeds, volume is simply inadequate, even with everything maxed anywhere I could find a volume adjustment. Insult to injury, it doesn't stream music, and it's not even a multi-stack CD player. I need to change this.

I suspect the front is under-damped (it gets a little "floaty" at times), and the cruise control occasionally surges/oscillates when the torque converter unlocks. Below 2k rpm, it unlocks very easily - I know this will get worse with larger tyres, but I want larger tyres anyway.

The driving lights are a nice addition, and should be even better when aligned down the road - at the moment, they illuminate tree tops very nicely.

That's enough for now - doing this on a 7 inch tablet is driving me crazy!
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

That is way to clean for you.

Nice PJ mate. Nice.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

Now as soon as you get it home spend more money on it. You're luck with you're purchase. Mine was stock!

Another post I know but. What a steal.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

Nice buy.... Bullbar, LRA tank, snorkel, spotties and a winch.
        Looks like a great setup already!
        Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Love that Paj Scott, .
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
            That is way to clean for you.

Nice PJ mate. Nice.
            Thanks Goodsy - it won't stay that clean for long. It should meet the Flinders next month, so it needs new tyres before then. TPMS? My poor bank balance...

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
            Nice buy.... Bullbar, LRA tank, snorkel, spotties and a winch.
            Looks like a great setup already!
            Cheers, Dan.
            You missed my favourite bit: Air Lockers front & rear.

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
            Love that Paj Scott, .
            Dave
            Thanks Dave - look out for it in the High Country next January.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Home!

960 km in 10.5 hours elapsed time. Didn't take any photos today.

Left Cobar a little after 7am local time, with full tanks and a hot coffee. Cruising at 113 on the GPS, economy slowly ramped down to an indicated 11.2 l/100km, then the wind sprang up. For the next 6 hours or so I had a partial head wind, which saw economy slowly ramp up to an average of 13.2 l/100km. Mid afternoon, the Barrier Highway started heading south, which meant a partial tail wind saw the economy start to ramp down again. Then I started hitting all the little towns along the way, and the speed limit dropped to 100km/h, so economy ramped down to an average 12.6l/100km by the time I hit Gawler (a bit over 900km for the day to that point).

From Gawler, I hit the hills which saw the economy ramp back up again - but I was impressed by the way the Paj handled the twisty roads. Very little trouble maintaining the speed limit, and it handles sweepers much better than I expected.

I traversed a little bit of dirt, and proved that the traction control works. As does low range, and the front and rear lockers. The last couple of km was coasting down hill, so finished the day on an indicated average of 12.6 l/100km over 960 km.

Just as the speedometer over-reads, so does the odometer and the fuel computer.

Comparing against the OziExplorer odometer, an Ozi measured 800km was recorded by the Paj as 821km on Monday, and 822km on Tuesday - a little over 2.5% high, which matched a check against one of those 5km speedo check facilities yesterday. Once I fit larger tyres, the odometer will be a little low.

When I filled up in Cobar this morning, with 959km on the trip meter, I could only squeeze 105 litres into the tanks - correcting for the odometer error, that's a genuine average of 11.1 litres/100km, not the 12.0 reported by the Paj.

The headwind today made the torque converter unlock a lot more regularly, and the Paj shudders just before it does. Watching the tachometer approaching a rise, the car shudders several times (feels like the engine is mis-firing?) before the revs rise from 2200 to 2500. Something is not right - I'm hoping there's an outstanding software upgrade that can help this.

I've decided I'll take the TPMS out of my shorty to install in this one - will make purchasing the new tyres a little less painful. I also need a better solution for running power to all the geek toys I want on the dash, and I need a spot to mount the car PC & touch screen. Then there's a fridge slide to be installed (if the fridge fits the space in the storage system), and the fun starts trying to figure out how to pack everything for a trip away next month.

Somewhere along the way, I need to find time to go to work - to pay for all this.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

I organised for a mate (Pete) to help me take both my Pajeros out, to find somewhere to take a few photos of them together.

The weather wasn't real good, but we managed to find a reasonable spot to park them side by side.

I thought the NT was the large one...

I'm gonna miss my shorty.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Look on the bright side Scott. Room for Pete's guitar now!
                  Dave
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

Nice Scott.. great pic of the 2 together

nj swb ? nt lwb
                    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Took it in for a rego check today. All good - except for the window tinting. Too dark on all Windows. Minimum transmission required is 35% - mine are all 15%.

Edit: Complete Windscreens removed all the tinting in an hour, for $100 - got back to the inspection centre inside 2 hours of leaving, they didn't even walk over to the vehicle. Saw it as I drove in to the carpark, handed over the paperwork in the office and I was away again.

Stamp duty hurt.

Now have new numberplates. Black on white looks good on the car.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Still no pics, but I'm continuing to ramble.

I've taken the fridge slide out of my shorty, and made it fit the NT. I thought I had plenty of space to play with, but you'd swear the storage system was built around the slide assembly. Even the fridge only just clears, yet I thought I had plenty of height. I still need to attack a few more bolts with the angle grinder - they've been cut off with bolt cutters, leaving some sharp edges that protrude a little further than I like.

So - fridge is in. But not powered up yet. Power is there, just need to decide how far to go with the electrics. Do I want a fuse block? Do I want the low-battery cut-out from my shorty?

Ultragauge is in, and temporarily bodged into place. Haven't spent enough time configuring it yet, but it's interesting snatching glances at fuel rail pressure, boost pressure and "kW2" (whatever that is...). For the record, I've seen 22000psi fuel rail, 22psi boost, and 160kW... Instantaneous fuel consumption is simply wrong - I must sort that out one day...

Inawise TPMS from the shorty is sitting in front of the transmission shifter, and powered up. Now I just need to install the pressure sensors, which I'll do when I buy the new tyres.

The brake controller has been removed, but I've installed a multi-pole connector so I can easily plug it back in if I need it. I'm not sure if it was working anyway - there was an open circuit buried inside the electrical tape. Sorting that out was an experience - it's interesting to see how others do their wiring. One circuit using black for permanent +12V, another using red to chassis. I'm slowly sorting out what's what, and have killed spotlights in the process. Oh, well...

Anybody want some H/Ts?

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• grhyso
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Perth

I'm still setting up my Ultragague but there is a section to alter the fuel consumption, I still can't get it right.

I currently have displayed 6: KPH, Boost, Instantaneous fuel consumption, eng temp, battery voltage and intake temp.

Not 100% about this setup yet but I did have the EGR valve position until I had my blank plate fitted and a bit after to see how it actually works etc.
                          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Not a lot of progress to report, but at last some new pics.

I worked out that the aux battery was stuffed. Before I bought the NT, the dual battery looked like this:

I did some measurements, did some googling, bought a battery, learned to measure more accurately. I missed the lip on the bottom of the battery tray, so my nice new 85Ah AGM battery was about 5mm too long to fit. Fortunately, I have a good friend who can weld (all I can do is spatter bird shit and give myself sunburn) so extending the tray was a relatively simple modification. Then he welded a stud to replace the mounting bolt that wouldn't fit with the bigger battery. Then I discovered that new battery was also taller, so the mounting bracket for the Projecta would no longer fit where it was - leading to the welding of a second stud to the tray.

Thanks Pete!

Being a little on the slack side, it took me another week or two to paint the tray and get everything mounted back under the bonnet - then I had to work out how to connect it all, given that the new battery had M6 sockets rather than conventional battery posts.

I dug out some bits and pieces left over from a dear departed previous car, spent a bit more time contemplating over a beer or three, then cobbled together a solution over another couple of weekends. My aux battery now looks like this:

I've also been playing with a replacement for MMCS that I bought from Extnix. I've got a mod working that allows me to choose either Igo 8 or OziExplorer, but I haven't figured out how to get my car PC to display to the Aux video input. I'm thinking I should give up on that, and install it as it is. Maybe this weekend?

At some stage, I also need to get my hands on the Bushskinz sliders I bought from a fellow forumite - Dave (Pickle) collected them for me, but my idea of driving over to collect them doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. I'll keep thinking about that one...

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nik
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Perth

That's a great rig you've picked up. Great finding a vehicle where someone has done the hard work for you, especially when they've done a good job of it like it looks the previous owner has done on yours.
                              2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X