• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bugeater
    • Jun 2018
    • Melbourne

Upgrade order

Being new to all this, but wanting to explore the high country, I intend to make upgrades to my Pajero Sport, but not sure the order. In winter most km are going up to the ski fields and summer will be fishing and camping up in the mountains. Occasionally I'll probably tow a trailer with a motorcycle on it to track days.

So these seem to be the standard list of upgrades:
    • bullbar
    • winch
    • suspension lift/upgrade
    • new tires/wheels (maybe sized up)
    • tow bar
    • bash plates
    • snorkel

But I'm not sure what the best order would be given I can't do it all at once.
    I'm thinking bash plates isn't a bad first step. Then I was considering getting a set of 17" rims and 265/70R17 muddies (so one size up). Then at some point the bullbar and a lift (since the suspension will need to be upgraded with the bullbar anyway). Towbar will probably come when I actually need it (plus a roofrack at some point).

This is all planning long term, since I need to do some training etc first. But does anyone think that perhaps the lift/bullbar earlier is a better option than say tires?
  • johndavis125262
    • Apr 2013
    • brisbane

its up to you mine so far was bull bar towbar same time (dont want a winch) bash plates snorkel new tyres when worn out old ones leaving suspension lift/upgrade to last after ive finished what im doing in the back .fridge draws they have weight so do suspension last instead of 3x times regards john

Originally posted by bugeater View Post
    Being new to all this, but wanting to explore the high country, I intend to make upgrades to my Pajero Sport, but not sure the order. In winter most km are going up to the ski fields and summer will be fishing and camping up in the mountains. Occasionally I'll probably tow a trailer with a motorcycle on it to track days.

So these seem to be the standard list of upgrades:
    • bullbar
    • winch
    • suspension lift/upgrade
    • new tires/wheels (maybe sized up)
    • tow bar
    • bash plates
    • snorkel

But I'm not sure what the best order would be given I can't do it all at once.
    I'm thinking bash plates isn't a bad first step. Then I was considering getting a set of 17" rims and 265/70R17 muddies (so one size up). Then at some point the bullbar and a lift (since the suspension will need to be upgraded with the bullbar anyway). Towbar will probably come when I actually need it (plus a roofrack at some point).

This is all planning long term, since I need to do some training etc first. But does anyone think that perhaps the lift/bullbar earlier is a better option than say tires?

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
      • Mar 2018
      • Western Australia

If you get an alloy bullbar you probably don't need the suspension upgrade as the bar is much lighter.

Alloy bars also have another advantage. Steel bars are very rigid and any impact is fully transmitted to the chassis. This can cause distortion to the chassis that can not be easily corrected, meaning that wheel alignment and transmission never run true again.

Alloy bars distort and soak up much of the impact energy, not passing it all to the chassis of the vehicle. Of course that usually, but not always, means the bar is a write off after a big hit, but the vehicle usually escapes undamaged.
      I have hit a big roo with an alloy bar which bent back , but when I loosened the mounting bolts it sprang back into shape with no damage done.

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

I agree that bashplates are a prudent first step if you plan to go anywhere offroad. That's even more important if you delay the lift/suspension so your clearance is limited.

Not all front bars will take a winch, so even if you delay getting a winch, be clear in your mind if you will someday want one before deciding on a bar. And BTW consider a Smartbar - a bit pricey but lighter than steel and (I think) alloy (especially the non-winch compatible model), will survive intact by not just absorbing energy by deforming but bouncing back after collisions that will permanently damage other types, and will similarly protect the vehicle's front end.

At the end of the day the order of events is dictated by exactly where you will drive. For example you might easily delay a snorkel till way down the line, but if you are going to cross the Murray at Tom Groggin next weekend, it might be your number one priority.

One last thing, a pair (or two) of Maxtrax can mitigate the effects of not having the lift and tyres that you'll eventually want to get. And you'll want the Maxis in any case, so why not get them early?

Have fun
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• ron2503
          • Dec 2017
          • Alex Hills

I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I did it. Bullbar and Towbar at delivery because I wanted spotlights and CB aerial and we needed to be able to tow from day one. Bash plates next (essential ). Suspension upgrade and lift as well as Long range tank was next. Will be doing tyres when OEM's die. (Original tyres have done well so far in sand, dirt, rocks and mud). In hindsight I would have swapped tyres at delivery and traded the originals. I'm not in a hurry to install snorkel as I don't think I'll be going through 1m water. Next extra will be roof rack and maxtrax.
          2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
          Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
          Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• bugeater
            • Jun 2018
            • Melbourne

Thanks guys. I do have Maxtracs or whatever they are called. Bought them, a compressor and tyre repair kit on the first day.

I'm a bit annoyed about the fact they come with H/T tires and not at least A/Ts. It's why I'm considering a second set of M/Ts which I'll put on in summer and keep the H/Ts for family trips and winter jaunts up to the snow (since that's mostly big highway trips). But I want to put on bigger M/Ts, but aren't sure how big I can go without needing some lift. But if I get lift now I'll need to redo it later when I get a bull bar... plus I have an exceed, so the radar and the headlight washers are a problem for a lot of bars....

Guess I need to join the Pajero Club and do some training. That should help. But bash plates seem like a good step.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

A suspension lift will not increase the maximum tyre size you can fit, only a body lift can do this. Clearance on the rear side of the front wheel arch I believe is the limiting factor so you can go up one tyre profile size from 265/60R-18 to 265/65R-18.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X