• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PradoEater
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Oatley

DIY Lithium battery from 3.2v cells

So I’m thinking of going down this path and build my own 12 v battery after watching this guys channel https://youtu.be/E4pN4DVPOcY

Easy enough no?!?!

Found these cells seems only calb is available in the ah I want.

Or

Has anyone done this? Your advice or experience will be appreciated.
    NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
    Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC
  • rykiel575
    • Sep 2017
    • Sydney

I nearly went down this path (having bought 200AH 3.2v winston cells) as well as a BMS but i sold my van before the project got moving.

The main constraint for me at the time was the different charging characteristics between lead acid and LiPO4 batteries (which can be overcome with a special DC DC charger but it was out of my budget at the time)
    2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• ron.dunn
      • Jul 2019
      • Central Victoria

I'd be worried about the risk of fire from anything DIY with lithium batteries.
      Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• Poita
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
        I'd be worried about the risk of fire from anything DIY with lithium batteries.
        There is a huge difference between the LiPo used in hobbiest projects and mobile phones and the LiFePO4 used in these 3.2V cells. The danger is minimal and very simple to monitor and maintain. Lots of people panic at the word lithium without knowing there are different technologies under the lithium umbrella.
        NW VRX MY2013
        Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Poita
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • Adelaide

I've built one in my camper and it's worked brilliantly.

Give the guys from EV Works or EV Power a ring, they are very helpful.

I use victron mppt and 240v charges which have dedicated lithium profile inbuilt. Enerdrive is a top shelf charger but costs quite a bit more.

Currently I don't have any cell balancing but am in the process of purchasing these which will do that:

I use the Victron to handle the low and high voltage cutoff.
          NW VRX MY2013
          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• PradoEater
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Oatley

Originally posted by Poita View Post
            I've built one in my camper and it's worked brilliantly.

Give the guys from EV Works or EV Power a ring, they are very helpful.

I use victron mppt and 240v charges which have dedicated lithium profile inbuilt. Enerdrive is a top shelf charger but costs quite a bit more.

Currently I don't have any cell balancing but am in the process of purchasing these which will do that:

I use the Victron to handle the low and high voltage cutoff.

Hi mate if you don’t mind what is the model for the victron charger? Looks like I’ll need one too
            NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
            Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• Poita
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by PradoEater View Post
              Hi mate if you don’t mind what is the model for the victron charger? Looks like I’ll need one too

I have this for the Solar in the 100/20 combo. I went with this as I use a house panel so the input voltage is higher than most normal MPPTs can handle.

Maximize the energy-harvest, driving it intelligently to achieve full charge in the shortest possible time using the SmartSolar MPPT. Learn more now.

And this for the 240V charger:
              The Blue Smart IP65 Charger is the new professional battery charger with built-in bluetooth. Find a Victron Energy dealer near you.

Both can connect to your phones bluetooth and the app gives you plenty of useful information.
              NW VRX MY2013

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X