• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErOsion9o
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Wiring up a DCDC charger

Hi members,

Ive just installed a Supercheap Ridge Ryder 20a DCDC charger in the rear seat well
    of my NT pajero.

I ran 4gauge 100amp cable from the main battery to the back, from there i used 4gauge to connect the aux battery to the dcdc charger and 6gauge 50amp for the negatives. All positive connections have a 100/50A fuses. The fuses are not blown.

Upon switching it on for the first time, the charger came on for about 5 seconds and hasnt been back on since. The main battery is outputting over 13.5 volts (12.8 is required for the unit to work).

The only thing i havent done is run a negative shared cable from the main battery to dcdc/aux battery. Is this required? I have a good solid earth connection for the charger and the aux battery.
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

You should not need separate negative feeds no - earthing to the chassis should be fine.

Where are you measuring the 13.5 volts? right at the main battery or at the input to the DC-DC charger? The only thing could be you are getting a severe voltage drop under load but even then the DC-DC charger SHOULD kick in and then kick straight back out again. Maybe it's just faulty?

You've tried all this with the vehicle running? that should bring the main battery voltage up to over 14 V
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• ErOsion9o
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
      Where are you measuring the 13.5 volts? right at the main battery or at the input to the DC-DC charger? The only thing could be you are getting a severe voltage drop under load but even then the DC-DC charger SHOULD kick in and then kick straight back out again. Maybe it's just faulty?
      I have just tested to voltage on the DCDC charger whilst the car was running. On the DC in+ and the negative output i was getting a reading of .04 V. On main battery it was reading over 14v.

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

.04? that's not good...
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• ErOsion9o
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Does that mean possible faulty charger?

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

If you're getting 0.04 V on the DC + input then you have a wiring problem. You need to chase back along your +ve supply until you find more volts, then figure out what stopped them getting through.

Unless I've misunderstood your post?
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ErOsion9o
              • May 2018
              • Perth

Ive used pre-existing 4g cable that was once connected to a stereo amp rated at 100a. My assumption would be that the cable is damaged.

I will re-wire with 6b&s under the chassis. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

The only reason i am skeptical of it being a wiring issue is that the charger did turn on for ~5 seconds the first time i tested it. Could it be internal damage?

**after troubleshooting at lunch, i found the fuse near the main battery to be blown - i will replace after work and report back**
              Last edited by ErOsion9o; 13-09-18, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by ErOsion9o View Post
                Ive used pre-existing 4g cable that was once connected to a stereo amp rated at 100a. My assumption would be that the cable is damaged.

I will re-wire with 6b&s under the chassis. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

The only reason i am skeptical of it being a wiring issue is that the charger did turn on for ~5 seconds the first time i tested it. Could it be internal damage?

**after troubleshooting at lunch, i found the fuse near the main battery to be blown - i will replace after work and report back**
                Check all your work before you go slapping another fuse in. Run over your wires to make sure you don't have a short somewhere.
                It's possible you may have done it during the install

I stuck on in my carvan a few weeks back and have had no issues with it .
                I can confirm it requires the 12.8v to become active and start charging

Comment

• Sparky3975
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Botanic Ridge, Vic

As has already been mentioned, check the resistance/continuity and shorts to earth on the existing cable? It may be an easy repair rather than running more cabling. Just ensure you have fused the cables correctly too. I recently installed a BCDC and mine is protected with 40Amp fuses in/out.
                  2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

• ErOsion9o
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

So the issue was a faulty 100a fuse, no signs of it being damaged or broken however upon testing another fuse, all is working.

Cheers, hope this helps someone in the future.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X