• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outback_aussie
    • Nov 2010
    • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Clunk at Random

G'Day,

I've noticed mostly recently there is a single loud clunk that comes from the front of my Pajero at random times, often when it is wet (could be co-incidental) but I've noticed it most often when driving down the driveway/street braking (straight line) and once or twice when turning the car off (stopped).

All when in 2WD no steering, just braking (even softly) but I'm left puzled as it is irregular and irritating not to know

Cheers, Tayler.
    2002 Pajero NM GLX 3.5L Manual

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
  • green monster
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Adelaide

if you havnt already done so , then I suggest you change your front swaybar D bushes they are behind the front bash plate and very easy to do, I had a similar issue and it fixed it straight away, they are also fairly cheap ,
    cheers Cam
    NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Darwiniandude
      Valued Member
      • May 2008
      • Adelaide

outback, you jinxed me!

I read this thread this morning, and today while driving around when I pull up and stop most of the time I get a clunk fr the front end exactly as you describe. Will inspect tomorrow.

This thread needs a warning attached, do not read, symptoms contagious!

Adelaide
      2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• outback_aussie
        • Nov 2010
        • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
        outback, you jinxed me!

I read this thread this morning, and today while driving around when I pull up and stop most of the time I get a clunk fr the front end exactly as you describe. Will inspect tomorrow.

This thread needs a warning attached, do not read, symptoms contagious!

Haha sorry to jinx you! At least we both have something more to check on thanks to Green Monster Haven't looked yet to find the source but also haven't heard it in a while so I'll be on the lookout

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Comment

• mmannion
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Birth place of QLD

I have also had something similar lately but only when reversing while turning the wheel. I have checked everything in the front inc all bushes and ball joints and everything is good with no play or movement except when I use a pry bar on the front sway bar it moves side to side through the D bushes so I think I will replace them and see how it goes.
          02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• Dakar-01
            • Jul 2008
            • Geraldton

yeh id check the front swaybar bushes for sure... and after repacing them... be sure to bolt the brackets back on nice and tight...
            after replacing my swaybar links and bushes only after a few rugged tracks I was getting all sorts of noises from under the front... was a little scared that 'd messed up such a simple job.. tho apon inspection i found that all nuts and bolt included in the removl and fefitting needed a good nipp up... especially the swaybar bush brackets.
            Need to invest in a torsion wrench
            2004 MK Triton v6. 2.5zorst. Xtractors no cat' highflow muffler. KN airflow n Hiclone. (Nuthin lost). Spots n worlights n patrol wheels with 265 75 16 yoko at.
            Nolothaned swaybar. Next on list is suspension an hd control arms

Comment

• Bundyk
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2012
              • North Nowra

Originally posted by outback_aussie View Post
              G'Day,

I've noticed mostly recently there is a single loud clunk that comes from the front of my Pajero at random times, often when it is wet (could be co-incidental) but I've noticed it most often when driving down the driveway/street braking (straight line) and once or twice when turning the car off (stopped).

All when in 2WD no steering, just braking (even softly) but I'm left puzled as it is irregular and irritating not to know

Cheers, Tayler.
              not that im trying to go against everyone else, but whats mentioned in red above makes me think it might not be suspension. Suspension wont make noise if the car has stopped. Put the car into 4H and drive around for a while. Should the noise disappear I would be looking at the SuperSelect system.
              Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • Maitland, NSW

My front sway bar link rubbers are rooted, only a few percent of them left and it makes a little clunk as i start to reverse and turn out the driveway so i concur with the swaybar bushes/link rubbers being the culprit.

I get that clunking noise with the brakes as well Tayler. Usually when i start to roll out the driveway and apply the brakes on and off as i go down. I was thinking along the lines of control arm bushes possibly.
                97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• outback_aussie
                  • Nov 2010
                  • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
                  not that im trying to go against everyone else, but whats mentioned in red above makes me think it might not be suspension. Suspension wont make noise if the car has stopped. Put the car into 4H and drive around for a while. Should the noise disappear I would be looking at the SuperSelect system.
                  Yeah you have a point mate but it happens so randomly (and not very often) that I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. I'm thinking when I turn the car off (only time it happens when I'm not moving) the side to side motion could be causing the sway bar to move slightly? Not sure...

Don't know how to change the bushes either so it could be a while until I figure this one out haha

Comment

• Bundyk
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • North Nowra

Mounting bushes are dead easy,

1. Take front bash plate off. This will reveal the sway bar mount bushes. (roughly just below the radiator)
                    2. remove the brackets that hold the bushes in place. They are "D" shaped, and each one is held on by 2 10mm bolts.
                    3. The bushes have a slit in them so they just pull off the sway bar.
                    4 Install in reverse order. (remember to add grease between bush and bar if using Nolathane or similar)

Having said all that, I still dont think its your mounting bushes, or your swaybar at all. Swaybar noise wouldnt come and go, once its there, its there.
                    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• hootnah
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • nunawading, vic.

I had a similar noise when reversing whilst turning then braking......it was the driver side cv joint.
                      Cheers, Jim.
                      99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!

Comment

• Dakar-01
                        • Jul 2008
                        • Geraldton

So remove the swaybar totally and see if noise is still there... if it is then its not your swaybar bushes or links... helped me before coing down the path of CVs
                        2004 MK Triton v6. 2.5zorst. Xtractors no cat' highflow muffler. KN airflow n Hiclone. (Nuthin lost). Spots n worlights n patrol wheels with 265 75 16 yoko at.
                        Nolothaned swaybar. Next on list is suspension an hd control arms

Comment

• mmannion
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Birth place of QLD

New swaybar D bushes fixed the clunk for me. Got the Nolathane ones from autobarn for $24 a set, tightened up the cornering nicely too so happy days. The original rubber ones didn't look bad at all but new ones made all the difference. Did both front and rear.
                          02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• Darwiniandude
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2008
                            • Adelaide

Going to try and change bushes today. Pretty sure that's all it is, as a few weeks back when I did a trans flush I disconnected the wrong hose so trans fluid sprayed over the bar and at least one of the old bushes so I think that would've helped them start to slide around a bit although I did clean it up.
                            Adelaide
                            2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• Darwiniandude
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2008
                              • Adelaide

Not home at the moment, but all the parts catalogues list 28mm and 29mm bushes, but they class NM and NP as the same vehicle search.

Anyone know off hand if the NP is 28mm or 29mm?
                              Adelaide

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X