• Show
Clear All
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Advice please

Hi guys,

I have a big tipping trailer with a cage on it . Sometimes I have the need to winch stuff onto it if it’s too heavy . What I do is pass the winch cable over the top of the cage & winch stuff on from the back .
    Of course the cable is then running metal to metal on the top of the cage frame.

What I’d like to have is some sort of roller guide there to help . I thought of a winch roller but would like something a bit better with proper bearings or something.
    Any suggestions?
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Maybe a(modified) roller off a boat trailer?? Being soft the cable will not get damaged. Of course the roller won't last forever but they shouldn't be too expensive to replace.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Scooby
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2011
      • Ipswich, Qld.

Do you always run the cable in the one spot or does move from side to side?
      What is the deflection angle of the winch over the cage?
      You could try splitting black poly pipe and run that over the cage frame if the angle is not too sharp.
      Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Water pump bearing?

Make some brackets out of some angle. Drill hole in one side of each bit of angle to pass the bearing shaft through so bearing is cradled between the pieces of angle.

Bolt or weld angle to top of cage. Weld bearing shaft to angle with good sized tacks to stop it rattling around. The angle protruding higher than bearing will stop which rope sliding off, but because nothing on top can still remove rope.

As an apprentice we used to make "skate boards" with water pump bearings welded to bottom of steel plates (about 600mm square) to slide truck dual wheel and hub assemblies on and off axles. They lasted forever.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

Change to synthetic rope and it’ll happily run over the top of the trailer?
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Get a piece of 12 mm galvanised pipe and fit it over a piece of 8 or 10 mm rod. Weld the rod to the trailer cage at each end. The pipe will act as a roller. It will also rattle like hell!

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

If you go for a boat roller, get the blue ones.
              These are made for ally hull boats, and I imagine would be less likely to disintegrate with the steel cable compared to other rollers.
              They make skids for the bunk style (as opposed to roller style) trailer out of the blue material too, so I reckon the blue stuff should take a cable sliding over it..
              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Don't.

That cage is designed to hold in loose and light loads, not take the strain of a cable pushing down on the top rail. Sooner or later it's going to bend, or worse.

Cut a hole somewhere that allows a straight line pull from your winch to whatever it is that you're loading. Put a flap door on it if you must or need to. Then work smarter and safer.
                Chris

Comment

• Scrambler
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                  Don't.

That cage is designed to hold in loose and light loads, not take the strain of a cable pushing down on the top rail. Sooner or later it's going to bend, or worse.

Cut a hole somewhere that allows a straight line pull from your winch to whatever it is that you're loading. Put a flap door on it if you must or need to. Then work smarter and safer.
                  While I like the flap idea, don't assume on the cage. I've had a trailer where I'd have trusted the cage more than the chassis.

Where is the winch? How are you bracing the trailer to your car, assuming the winch is on the car?

How about an offset hitch or winch to pull through the cage section off centre (assuming a central brace for the cage) rather than over the top of the rail? Might still want a roller but have less strain.
                  =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                  =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2000
                    • Tasmania

Hi guys , thanks for the sugestions , the cage is pretty heavy duty for what I’ll be doing . I think I will modify a winch roller to just slip over the top bar , so that I can just position it in place when I need it & take it off when not in use . Thanks for your replies
                    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X