• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lihammer
    • Apr 2012
    • Melbourne

Removal of door panels and standard size of speakers

Hi All,

I'm wanting to install some new speakers in the front and back doors of the Paj. The old ones sound pretty ordinary to be honest.

Can I get some instructions on how to remove the front and rear door panels to access both lots of speakers.

I could have a go at doing this, but I'm wanting to do as minimal damage as I can and seeming as I haven't done this before (in the Pajero) it could get nasty.

Also can someone let me know what size the standard speakers are.

Any help is much appreciated,

Liam.
  • -tom-
    • Jul 2013
    • Fremantle

Hi Liam

I recently put some Rockford Fosgate 6.75" components in my NM GLS and they fitted perfectly. I had to drill 4 new holes to mount the woofer as the holes for the factory speakers didn't line up. You will have to separate the speaker wire from the rest of the wiring in the door and run the cable into the door cavity, this is because the factory speakers are wired at the front of the woofer, most aftermarket speakers are wired from behind. It would be a good idea to have both door trims off at the same time so you can make sure you have your positive and negative cables the same way round on both left an right speakers, if you get it wrong, sound output will be reduced greatly. My GLS does not have tweeters but does have the grilles in the back of the mirrors which makes adding them easy. The tweeters I have fitted nice and snug behind the grilles with no fixing at all.

Removing the DRIVERS door trim
    1. Remove the trim around the door opener, this is probably the most difficult part. Its held on by 2 metal clips, one at the top and one at the bottom. Poking around with a couple of small screw drivers is the best way. I can't remember exactly how to do it. Ill have a look tomorrow and let you know.
    2. Remove the 2 screws at the top right hand edge of the door, they have little caps on them.
    3. Using a small flat head screw driver, lever up on the window controls, working the front and back of the console a little at a time until you can pull it straight up.
    4. Remove the arm rest trim by pulling up and remove the large screw underneath
    5. Remove the trim from the back of the mirror simply by pulling it out. It is attached with 2 small trim clips.
    6. Starting from the corner where the speaker is located pull the trim outwards and work your way along the bottom and then up the sides. It takes a fair amount of force for the clips to let go. I broke a couple of mine but they are easily replaced.
    7. Disconnect the wiring for the courtesy light at the bottom of the door.
    8. You should now be able to lift the door up and off.

I haven't removed the rear door trims yet but they appear to be fixed in exactly the same way.

Hope this helps!
    Tom
    2000 NM Pajero GLS V6 Auto

Comment

• Easykill1978
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Melbourne Vic

yup thats the one..
      the car speakers are 6.5inch dual cone 15watt speakers.. terrible speakers...
      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Burko
        • Sep 2013
        • Brisbane

Found this when I was contemplating doing the same.

Paul
        2001 NM 3.5 Exceed. Whisbar HD roof racks, UHF, HID spots, Elec brake control, air con control moved, K&N air filter. (SOLD )

2017 MQ GLS Triton Auto. Whispbar HD racks. EKO Canopy.

Comment

• stretch69
          • Feb 2014
          • adelaide

I wanna install some components in my NJ soon but I was thinking wouldn't heaps of water get in your door when you drive through creeks etc?

Comment

• -tom-
            • Jul 2013
            • Fremantle

If that amount of water got in, yours speakers would be the least of your problems.
            2000 NM Pajero GLS V6 Auto

Comment

• Lihammer
              • Apr 2012
              • Melbourne

Thanks folks.

Really appreciate your help.

I'll be replacing the speakers this weekend.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X