• Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Underbody protection - what is needed - options

Hi

After a light tap on the factory bash plate I found it rather flimsy with a small depression. I have been trawling the verious threads and noticed issues with the standard mounting system failing. Also spotted on the web an issue between an owner and Mitsubishi over failure that they blamed on restricted air flow. Noted comments that ABR plares are not a good fit as well.

On Fleabay saw a stainless steel plare with the option of stronger mounts. It is 3mm plate.

What I am interested in is under body protection that fits as well as the original but much stronger. Plus sensible extension to standard protection scheme. Basically protection that considers weight.

My vehicle is a manual PC Challenger. Not been a mechanic I would prefer the protection fitted by someone familar with it. Being in Tassie cuts down the options.

Ok, I have a decent collection of tools, and can if need be, bolt things in place, but welding is above my pay grade. What I want is a trouble free systems that mean when I stuff up all that happens is grinding sound.

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • sillypoint
    • Feb 2013
    • Adelaide

On here mate the majority will say Bushskins, apparently the plates line up well and are easy to fit. I've just ordered the Intercooler sump guard combo from Kieron, and should receive them any day. Can't wait to fit them! Let you know when they are on.
    Ben
    2007 NS auto DiD, Arb bullbar, Dual battery system, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler/sump combo, Cooper AT3s

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Comments in blue
      Originally posted by Ent View Post
      Hi

After a light tap on the factory bash plate I found it rather flimsy with a small depression.
      Yes, standard plates are very thin and are really splash guards, they will bend just in deep sand so they have no chance in harder ground or rocks.
      I have been trawling the verious threads and noticed issues with the standard mounting system failing.
      Yes, the weld on the standard mounts will crack with all aftermarket plates, normally it is the 2 mounts between the front intercooler guard and the engine /front diff guard. Ok if rewelded.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ody+bashplates

Also spotted on the web an issue between an owner and Mitsubishi over failure that they blamed on restricted air flow.
      Bullbars have a greater impact on airflow
      Noted comments that ABR plares are not a good fit as well.
      The 2 installations I have seen have had the engine /front diff plate rubbing on the front diff

On Fleabay saw a stainless steel plare with the option of stronger mounts. It is 3mm plate.

What I am interested in is under body protection that fits as well as the original but much stronger. Plus sensible extension to standard protection scheme. Basically protection that considers weight.
      All sytems weigh between 20kg and 36 kg depending on whether it is a 2 or 3 plate system and 3 or 4 mm steel

Options are;
      1. 4mm folded steel Bushskinz at 36kg these are very heavy duty, that said I have bent mine a little but they have saved me dozens of times. 3 plate system including transmission. Bushskinz is a forum sponsor, Kieron has a reputation for good service, price and quality.
      2. 3mm folded and 2.5mm pressed steel ARB, front diff clearance insufficient on the installs I have seen. 3 plate system that includes transmission.
      3. 3mm folded steel TJM, 3 plate system that includes transmission.
      4. 3mm folded steel Brown Davis, this was my preferred system but it was only a 2 plate system at the time.
      5. 3mm folded steel Ironman, I have fitted one of these to a Triton and are ok for the money.
      6. There are a few ebay/ overseas system including a 5mm aluminium set but these were over $1000 AUD when I looked.
      7. Mitsubishi do an upgrade front plate as an accessory.
      8. There are a few other smaller suppliers doing custom work in WA & Qld from memory.

As there is some variation in the mount positions, many people have needed to do slight elongation or enlargement of attachment holes to get a good fit on all systems. Chassis flexes so you need the attach holes slightly over size particularly on the thicker plates.

My vehicle is a manual PC Challenger. Not been a mechanic I would prefer the protection fitted by someone familar with it. Being in Tassie cuts down the options. All systems can be mail ordered and fitted with basic hand tools (spanners, sockets, 1/4" diameter "rat tail"file, or cordless drill and 11mm dia drill bit.

Ok, I have a decent collection of tools, and can if need be, bolt things in place, but welding is above my pay grade. What I want is a trouble free systems that mean when I stuff up all that happens is grinding sound.
      You do not have the long distance corrugations in Tassie so you may not have an issue with breaking mounts but a good welding shop/mechanic can re-weld over the original welds in about 20 minutes.

Cheers
      cheers, old Jack.

Some previous threads;

Last edited by old Jack; 14-04-14, 08:14 AM. Reason: thread links
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Hi OldJack and others.

Thanks for the summary. Narrowed down to two options depending if Ironman have gone to the press steel option.

Bushskins as they appear well regarded and at 4mm are about as heavy duty as you can get. Only issue is on searching the web is I noticed a couple of comments that they sit somewhat lower than factory so compromise clearance. This might be internet waffle but interested to read here if this is the case.

Ironman assuming fully pressed steel. I hope that this would give the best fit and weight to strength ratio at 2.5mm. I am not going to be an extreme off-road type. But been rather unskilled may take it more out on the underbody so want something that can protect the vitals.

Though I am curious why your preferred choice OldJack? Given that they are now three plate your reason has been removed. Ok, you have spent your money but for me I have not so they might be a third option.

So if people have either be great to hear from them.

Cheers
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• PBChallengerM/T
          • Mar 2014
          • South Australia

Hi Ent & all. Another Challenger newby here (made my first post in the intro's section last night). I like you have a M/T Challenger and I fitted the MMAL genuine bash plate which I think they called "Protector Underbody". I haven't measured it, but estimate 2~3mm thick. It bolted straight up replacing the tissue paper OE part, and has survived 3 years and 50000kms on my previous vehicle a Triton ML before being fitted to my Challenger from new 1 year ago. My reasoning for a genuine part being that if it causes damage to the vehicle, I can take it back to MMAL for repairs. Other than some pealing paint or powdercoat on bash plate, its fine and still as good as new. It hit the deck plenty of times on the Triton due to the poor ground clearance on that vehicle (205R16 tyres) and no problems with the mounts on either vehicle. Depending on how serious your plans are for your car, it might be an option for you to consider.
          13MY PB Challenger M/T LS, mostly stock for now with a few OE goodies including Alloy Bullbar, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Bash Plate, Roof Bars, Rubber Floor Mats and Neoprene Seat Covers.

Comment

• 02-SR5
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • Toowoomba

X2 on the factory upgrade.

Been on mine now for nearly 3 years now.
            MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Chris4x4
              • May 2012
              • Geelong

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
              X2 on the factory upgrade.

Been on mine now for nearly 3 years now.
              Does anyone know if the Mitsu thicker bash plates extend to cover the auto? As the auto seems very exposed on these Chall's. What are the cost of these?
              Thanks Cheers
              2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• 02-SR5
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • Toowoomba

No, it just replaces the coke can cut out under the front diff actuator.
                MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Like the idea of factory bits where possible. What is the cost?

Comment

• 02-SR5
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Toowoomba

About $100 from memory

Comment

• MikeL
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Melbourne

Any tips for a good welder in NE Melbourne who can weld up my bash plate mounts without killing the ECU? Overhead welding is something I've never tried and don't want to stuff it up.
                      Now: MY14 NW with:
                      Before: MY10 PB Challenger with: lotsa experience

Comment

• 02-SR5
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • Toowoomba

I got mine repaired at the local exhaust joint.

See if there is one in your local are.

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                          About $100 from memory
                          Trip to the local dealer is in order. Been Tasmania watch $100 become much more.

Got a great reply to my email from Bushskins so ultimately will likely get their full protection kit as service looks very good from them. Ironman no response, and probably bit soon for Davis Brown. Experience has taught me that if a company is slow responding to a sales enquiry it only gets worse when chasing them to resolve an issue.

Cheers

Comment

• PBChallengerM/T
                            • Mar 2014
                            • South Australia

I reckon I also paid about $100 for the factory plate, but it was 4 years ago.
                            13MY PB Challenger M/T LS, mostly stock for now with a few OE goodies including Alloy Bullbar, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Bash Plate, Roof Bars, Rubber Floor Mats and Neoprene Seat Covers.

Comment

• PBChallengerM/T
                              • Mar 2014
                              • South Australia

And it would have been smarter of me to say its Pt No was MR936387 and thickness turns out to be 3mm.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X