• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blocks
    • Apr 2019
    • Brisbane

NS pajero 3.2 stop with no power

Hi All

Firstly, sorry as a post like this has been done a thousand times. I have done a good amount of searching on here and it seems there could be a number of things that have caused my issue.
    I'll likely take it to a dealer but since I have 4 days at home over easter I may as well have a crack at some of the things. Should mention its 2007 3.2 DID Auto with 204km

Backstory:
    Wife was driving into shopping centre carpark and went over a speed hump and as she accelerated it had no power. She pulled to the side and kept going but was sluggish so she drove into a side street. We decided to call RACQ and they came and put the scan tool on and found no codes. Checked battery etc and he tried to drive the car but found a lack of power. We had the car towed home. Car had only travelled about 5km that day, around 10am in the morning.

Later that arvo I drove the car, around the block with no problems. Checked with my scan tool and found no codes. Determined she should drive the car the next day.
    Car was driven about 3km to the shops with no problems. An hour later (10am again) the wife drove about 1km and the car started to splutter and lose power. She parked in a side street and walked home!. Once again I picked the car up around 5.30pm and drove about 4km home without issue. I changed the fuel filter, but did find anything I would call alarming.

So here are a list of things I am considering looking at or have read that may be an issue:
    Keen to here thoughts on these others

Fuel filter - replaced but only driven around the block
    MAF - I cleaned it but should have thrown a code anyway I believe?
    In tank filter - saw a post on this giving a guy grief
    Check all under bonnet electrical connections - Intermittent and wont throw codes
    EGR - I wont have gaskets etc so not sure on this. Would it give a code
    SCV - not sure if this gives code. Have seen posts on similar symptoms
    Manifolds - sounds like an issue I don't know enough about

Anything else????

Appreciate any advice, if you have gotten this far! I will be sure to report back the result after the weekend or it goes to the shop. Lots of posts like this that don't post the resolution so will be sure to give mine.

Cheers
    Blocks
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

I’m no expert (but I’ll have a go anyway!) but it sounds like elec or computer. Try disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for a couple of hours before reconnecting - to reset everything. Simple and cheap and doesn’t damage anything.
    Good luck and I’m interested to hear what happens
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

Someone else had this issue. For them it was an electrical plug located behind the center console panels in the foot well.

Also. How full is the tank? I have read of people is south africa with similar issues when the fuel level is low. This was due to a dent in the tank directly under the pick up.

And last but not least you might want to investigate if you have algae in your tank. This can cause intermittent problems due to fuel starvation.

If you disconnect your fuel intake and return lines and place them in container with diesel in it. Then run the car it may help isolate the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Blocks
        • Apr 2019
        • Brisbane

Thanks. Yes, should have mentioned the fuel bit. My wife mentioned when she fueled up last week it was lower than ever before. Light was on, gauge was way down as she forgot she was low.

Will try the battery disconnect also.

Comment

• christopher
          • Mar 2012
          • Chidlow W.A.

If your fuel tank is at 1/4 or below and this happens odds are the lower pickup filter in the tank is the issue, easily checked if you fill up to full and problem goes away

Had same problem in my NT when tank was on 1/4 but was parked on a slope, nose up, would not start, clogged pickup filter.
          Last edited by christopher; 17-04-19, 07:26 PM.
          2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Could be a number pf things but always check the easy ones first. As has been suggested check the in tank filter first.

We are 300,000k plus on ours but always use quality fuel from two companies plus diesel additives and 2 stroke. Never had a problem.

Diesel prices today in the Sydney basin vary from 139.9 at el cheapos to 154.9 at mainstream.

There has to be a reason.

Comment

• kiwi1973
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • New Zealand

I suspect fuel starvation issue.

When you replaced fuel filter I presume you primed diesel through using the primer pump on top of the fuel filter assembly. Were there any issues priming or was that all fine?

As others have queried, what is current fuel level in tank - is it at least half full?

The in tank filter is easy to check. Worth checking, even if just to eliminate it from question. I just replaced mine a few days ago. Lift right side rear seat forward and locate hatch under seat. Unbolt hatch, reach down and unbolt another hatch within. (Hatch cover will come up and out of you tilt it just right). Then you can see through to the hatch on the tank itself. Six 8mm nuts, remove fuel hoses and that whole assembly lifts out. In tank filter should be attached - mine wasn't as a dent to the tank had smashed it off.
              2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Blocks
                • Apr 2019
                • Brisbane

Thanks for your comments. Tank was filled, now about 3/4. I have driven the car all around the neighbourhood the last couple of evenings, cant get the problem to replicate! I will drive it tomorrow during the heat of the day and see if that makes some sort of difference.

Will also check the in tank fuel filter and trace all the lines. We only fill up at bp, will be interesting to see what I find.

I hate not finding a cause.

Out of interest, will a dealer scan instrument pick up something that my scan guage wont?

Comment

• Blocks
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Brisbane

Thought I would update. Never got to the bottom of the issue, a few hundred kays later and it has not happened since fuel filter was changed.

Strict instructions to the wife not to run the car till its basically empty.

I did try to remove the in tank fuel filter. It's not a fun task with not a lot of room to work. I found it difficult to get the 8mm bolts moving and still broke 2 bolts after soaking them in WD40. After the second bolt I stopped as any more than that and I would have been concerned about leaks.

If you read this and are attempting the job, soak the bolts with WD40 etc a few times the day before to ensure you give yourself a good chance at not breaking bolts.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X