• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

Introducing myself

Have been lurking around here for a month or so while I have been researching my new vehicle. Great repository of information and the vibe feels really good.

My name, Stuart. Live in Brisbane. Have had a GQ Patrol TD42 for past 12 years and lurked over at Patrol4x4 forums which are also a wealth of information. Before that, a 60 series Land Cruiser, from my father and now with my brother ('cruiser is 34 years and still going strong!) Have had many other cars, Falcons, Commodores, Kingswoods, Magna, 323, 260C, a Volvo! and Sportage (currently).

Just picked up my new Pajero GLS today so looking forward to some mods/accessories (nothing wild) over time. It will be mainly an off-road tourer. Beach driving and rock climbing doesn't particularly interest me, have done a very small and basic amount of that already. I'm more about the journey and destination rather than the challenge.

First things first though - wading through the plethora of opinions on breaking/running in. Have done plenty of touring around Oz and next one planned for later this year so a bit of research and work to do before then.

Will be interested to see how many SEQueenslanders are on these forums. The Patrol scene is pretty well represented in this area so perhaps the Pajeros/Mitsi's too.
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Welcome to the forum Stuart
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

Welcome to the forum Stuart.
      If you're looking for a club, have a look at the Mitsubishi 4WD Club of QLD. (https://www.mitsu4wdclubqld.org/) Great club, great people
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Pixie_au
        • Apr 2019
        • Queensland

Thank you for that.

Will keep in mind but I don't think I have time for a club as I'm also into fishing which I don't get enough time for either.

Comment

• bennyb29
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Brisbane

Welcome, Stuart.
          Another Brisbane member here.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Pixie_au
            • Apr 2019
            • Queensland

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
            Welcome, Stuart.

Another Brisbane member here.
            Hey man, thanks. Tackled Glasshouse mountains at all? If so, how'd you go?

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

Im in bne also.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pixie_au
                • Apr 2019
                • Queensland

OK, thought I better post a few updates for the benefit of those who come afterwards...feel free to ask any questions if you are researching any of these products. I have included prices just for people who might be trying to make choices.

I picked up my NX GLS nearly 12 months ago and had some plans.

Starting off lightly, I got some nice seat covers from Gotya Seat Covers. These are the lined denim covers and are an excellent fit. I only bought for the front seats. ($406)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Queensland

Next I got a towbar

Hayman Reese ($890) fitted at local Pedders. Nothing unusual. No brake controller at this point. That came later....

Also installed the spare wheel lift. Really...what were Mitsubishi thinking...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Queensland

Next came a bigger investment

I had ARB Deluxe bull bar installed ($2,800)

Chose this for the weight (less than Iron Man) and they are manufactured in Australia (unlike TJM)

I looked at ECB, TJM, Iron Man and another one...OL? Anyway, this seemed best choice for me.

Pondered for a long time over going with alloy but decided that a bull bar is really just insurance for something that may or may not happen and in the event it did happen then i wanted to have steel there.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Queensland

Next...some electrical work

Went for the under-bonnet dual battery system using a Boss 4wd Battery Tray ($168). This is a fantastic fit and I reckon a very good quality product (as far as steel trays go)

This is managed by Projecta IDC25 DC to DC charger ($260) which you will see nestled between the two batteries. I'm not convinced this is the best position and will see how it goes in hot weather

At this time I also had a Redarc Tow Pro Elite V3 ($319) installed with the control in a fairly neat place under the right-side vent

Plus I had additional heavy gauge cables installed to the rear and a solar input Anderson plug and 12v output Anderson plug installed at the tow bar (as well as under bonnet). I had UHF aerial installed from bull bar to cabin for my 5W hand held GME. Electrical work came to around $1260 for all of the labour and cables etc.

I shouldn't need to go through the firewall again for some time.

I've also installed Ultragauge in a common spot
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Queensland

Had windows tinted with CrystalEx Ceramic through Express Tinting ($395) and Headlight/Bonnet/Weather shield kit ($161) from OCAM

Happy with both of these changes.

Pics next post...
                        Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Queensland

Most recently, a suspension upgrade

KCFR34HD King front springs
                          KCRR35HD KING rear springs
                          64105 OZTEC front struts
                          60831 OZTEC rear shock

$2,055 supply and fit plus 4-wheel alignment and remove all adjustable suspension bolts and anti-seize

Went for Oztec partly on OJ's recommendation but also my mechanic has used them (not so much on Pajeros) and couldn't fault them and there were some poor reviews on Bilsteins. We'll see how they go.

This has given suspension heights of
                          FR 530mm
                          RR 558mm
                          FL 527mm
                          RL 559mm

After each of my mods tow bar, dual battery, bull bar - I kept records of the suspension heights but it's not really important now.

I'm happy with the ride but haven't really tested it yet.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pixie_au; 13-05-20, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                            • Apr 2019
                            • Queensland

Rear set up is fairly basic

I have installed a 17mm formply sheet in the rear with access to rear seat well. Have boxed out the wheel arches and fixed a Engel fridge slide. Have also boxed out the fridge slide.

Wiring over left wheel arch is OK, might re-do it one day but was in a bit of a rush to get it done in time for a trip last year.

Bolts in to the child-restraint fittings are loose and to simply keep the holes sealed from dust. The fridge slide has a cable underneath it so i can attach the fridge to the steel loop in the floor.

My intention is to travel as light as possible, just the fridge and with most gear in either a camper trailer or van. Without a cargo barrier I don't like the idea of having gear above the rear seats.

My previous vehicle was a GQ patrol and I used to pack it to the roof!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Pixie_au
                              • Apr 2019
                              • Queensland

Next upgrade will be some All Terrains but I'm not in a hurry as I am not planning any off road trips for now.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X