View Single Post
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
Have a look at Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBAqxSXFyb4&t=4s.

John's style may not appeal to all but he has some interesting things to say about catch cans.
My personal take on things

He has a point as many have pointed out, fit a useful one if you so wish.

Ag machinery which I sell, many are Diesel & many Tier II emissions which in lamens terms means PCV is none existent & crankcase still as all use to vents out on the ground.

No emission controls on Ag equipment required although many sold here built for other markets do have emissions.

A new engine can breath heavy & visually a fair bit of oil in the scheme of things, stick you finger up the pipe & see what you find & becomes less, cleans up fair bit when engine "runs in", but it is still present.
General advice is run engine in at 80% load where possible, bed rings in as per manufacturers info. Putter around no loads you do run the real risk of increased blow by for the life of the engine.
I can recall having newish machines back plenty of oil burn for a new engine, treatment, dyno under load for extended period of time

As the engine ages, they create more blowby & can run like that for in a vehicles instance 10,000's to 100,000's k's no troubles at all & can drop the odd drop of oil out the crank case breather onto your lovely clean concrete actually, not just vapours.

My point being the contents of the crank case vented gases does have oil present, some engines & some brands will be worse than others for a whole lot of reasons as some will have more exhaust EGR carbon than others.

That oil vapor will not cause catastrophic engine failure mixing with EGR carbon & gunking up the air intake, making some engines belch black smoke/ unburnt fuel under loads, lack torque & power etc as they age.

My personal view, for engine health I would much prefer crank case vapor/ blow by to be as clean as it can be going back into the engine intake.
Or vented onto the ground as they always originally were & still are without emission controls.