View Single Post
Old 16-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
I have owned my PS for 12 months now (from new). Yesterday I had peek at the vent hose from the cam cover to turbo and was amazed at the amount of oil residue coating the inside of the tube.

Having researched as much as possible and read countless reviews (mostly from people who sell them) etc, I am contemplating the fitment of a catch can but would like to reach out to forum members with technical knowledge in this area , with a few questions.

1) Does the turbo rely on the oil residue from the breather to form any additional lubrication function at all.
2) What is the difference between a catch can and an oil separater.

3) Does anyone know what Mitsubishi's take is on the fitment of a catch can.
4) If a catch can prevents major carbon build up by removing oil residue that is otherwise mixed with the EGR, then why does the manufacturer not install the device.

It is my intention to keep this vehicle for some considerable time and I want to make sure it is well maintained and serves me well.

Any advice is appreciated.
The turbo apparently has a separate oil lubricating system to its bearings and does not rely on the oil found in the blow back fumes. Due to the newer standards in pollution prevention the crank case vent, which was previously vented out to the open air is now routed back so that the blow by gases are burnt in the cylinder, unfortunately en-route it meets coats the manifold where the hot EGR gases chars and carbonizes the film of oil and I suspect the burnt residue from the cylinder would also muddy the DPF.
The classic Catch can available cheap on eBay is just an empty can or filled with steel wool which traps and precipitates the oil in the gases, very inefficient, the oil separator does the same with filter paper and is very very efficient. Any block in the catch can circuit, will increase pressures in the crank case and possibly lead to blown gaskets/seals so a pressure relieving safety valve is essential.
I have installed the provent kit from western filters, which includes dedicated hoses and a bracket mount specific for the PS. The only skill required is to tighten a few nuts. It also has a back pressure safety valve. Some manufacturers have a OEM system which reroutes the oil catch back into the crank case, the residue is a black tarry thick fluid which I would definitely not empty back into the crank case. Of course you are expected to dispose the residue in a environmentally friendly manner and not tip it into a drain. I can confirm that it does catch a lot of dirty oil, can't say if it has a long term benefit, I am convinced it does no harm.
The MM service in charge appreciated the provent system verbally, I didn't ask for an official approval, as I didn't want them to come up with a disclaimer and denial. I have included a pic of the installation.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Provent Installed.jpg (63.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by orthodoxs; 17-01-20 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Grammer correction