• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Endorphin
    • Jun 2007
    • Australia

Brake scraping noise

Upon returning from the mid North Coast this week it would appear that the Paj has developed a scraping / screeching noise coming from the rear passenger wheel. So I decided to take a closer look and determined after taking the brake caliper off that it was most likely the pads that were causing the problem.

After taking the pads out, giving them a clean up and then reassembling it the noise still remained. Now that pads were about 50% worn and no metal was touching the disc. Knowing that pads can start to become problematic with noise with age etc I decided to replace them with a set of Bendix 4WD pads. It appeared the problem was fixed. Seemingly pleased with myself I went and rewarded myself with a couple of frosty beverages.

The next day we went down the South Coast only to hear it return! It would appear that a very light application of the brake and the noise goes away (whilst the brake was being applied at least). I started thinking could it be the park brake shoes that are rubbing... Several hard applications of the park brake whilst moving didn't seem to have any effect. Although the sound did go away again briefly whilst the brake was applied.

Could it be the piston causing the pads to catch or could it be the disc? Any suggestions / ideas?
    Last edited by Endorphin; 08-01-10, 06:48 AM. Reason: Typo
  • Matatak
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Perth

is the noise there by just spinning the wheel while up on a jack?

make sure the Backing plate hasnt been bent slightly onto the disc.
    05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• Endorphin
      • Jun 2007
      • Australia

Yes the noise is there when I spin the wheel whilst up on the jack and the backing plate is not touching the disc either...

Comment

• marcthelegend
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Gosnells, WA

Gday, have you checked that all the caliper bolts move freely and are not seized.

I had the same problem and put HTB grease on the bolts and the noise stopped, with the seized bolt, the caliper will drag on only one side and screech.

This is where I would start.

Cheers

Marc
        05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
        brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Endorphin
          • Jun 2007
          • Australia

Thanks Marc. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

• dank54
            • Jul 2009

While your checking the caliper slides like Marc mentioned you might as well check the wheel bearing for movement which could cause the same kind of fault?

I had the joy of owning a BF falcon previously which had dragging handbrake shoeswhich is another possibility. You have to set them up 100% otherwise they will drag, knock, not hold or squeak.
            NH GLS LWB V6 MANUAL

Comment

• Ross W
              • May 2008
              • Samford Valley, QLD

Just a comment on the suggestion of applying HTB grease to the caliper bolts - my understanding is that the recommended grease for caliper bolts is a high temp silicone grease such as Molykote 44 medium, rather than the more common clay or lithium based wheel bearing greases.

Ross
              05 NP GLX DiD Auto, ARB Steel Bar, TJM Sump & Transmission Guards, Lovells/Bilsteins - mild lift, Airtec Snorkel, Extended Breathers, GME TX3420 UHF, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, ARB Dual Battery Tray/Redarc Isolator, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bridgestone D697 LT's

Comment

• Endorphin
                • Jun 2007
                • Australia

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have fully cleaned the area with brake cleaner and a wire brush whilst trying not to inhale the dust etc. I then applied high temp bearing grease to the caliper bolts. Followed by a light application of emery paper to the disc and lastly I used some of that brake quiet paste to the back of the pads.

Figures crossed that I've silenced it for a while!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mike

Comment

• ngwagon
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • mt evelyn

how did you go? fix it? I had a noise like that when i was out and about a few weeks ago and turned out to be a stone had wedged in the caliper and cos my disks are warped the screeched at highr speeds, only found it cos i jacked her up and spun the wheel slow and pulled it apart and got it out..

Comment

• Endorphin
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Australia

Hi ngwagon,

Yes it appears to be fixed (he's says with figures crossed!).

Comment

• LOVE MY NM PAJERO
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Highfields

A simple thing to check and easily overlooked, does the inner pad have a little metal telltale letting you know the pads need replacing soon. It looks like a handle to help you remove the pad. It breaks away easy enough. Noise disappeared for me.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X