• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macpajero
    • May 2011
    • Narre Warren

NJ 3.0 high idle when cold

Have an issue and wondering any ideas from the community.
    NJ 95 3.0 285,000K
    2 months approx.When cold engine idle at 2000 rpm, thermo fan operates.
    About 30-45 secs later, thermo fan shuts down and as it slowly warms, idle starts to come down to eventually, normal idle rpm.
    This process to normal idle is, 1-1.5min approx.
    Appreciate any ideas or the cause!
    Cheers
  • Pauly Faulkner
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • Maitland, NSW

A throttle body clean is a good start as it's most likely a stuck/dirty fast idle valve and iac valve. Check the fast idle valve coolant passage isn't blocked as well (bottom of throttle body).

Common to see up around 1800-2000rpm on cold start breifly then back to around 1300-1500rpm if you don't touch accelerator, if you touch accelerator it can jump back up again breifly then settle back again and keep doing this until fast idle air valve shuts as the throttle body warms up.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• my.paj
      • Dec 2010
      • Tullamarine

The fan you are talking about is the one for the air cond in front of the radiator ?
      If so something is telling it to turn on but if the car is cold it should not be running, thats my limit.
      Rick
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• dolphin
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008

buy some Throttle body cleaner and some Air Intake Foaming clean. these will both clean the throttle body and the phenlin chamber . also remove and spray clean [ with throttle body cleaner ] the Idle Speed Control unit which is mounted on the side of throttle body.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• macpajero
          • May 2011
          • Narre Warren

Yes, it is the one in front of radiator.
          Will have to dig deeper to see why it is operating when cold.
          Cheers

Comment

• macpajero
            • May 2011
            • Narre Warren

Ok thanks for the info and advice.
            Will get to work and use the suggestions put forward.

Let you know the outcome.
            Cheers

Comment

• macpajero
              • May 2011
              • Narre Warren

Looks like the cleaning the throttle body is the first area that requires attention.
              Then progress if that fails.
              I'll find it!!

Thanks

Comment

• Bogger
                Unregistered as asked
                • May 2011

I think Mypaj is on the right track .......... I'd check air con switch for fault as given the cold weather in Vic it wouldn't take long for the air con to cycle off cutting out air con as it reaches temp (air con cold cut off temp not engine) and hence dropping idle speed. Let idle for quite awhile and see if air con cycles in and out ? It sounds like your air con is permanently on which is upping the idle speed as it's designed to do.
                Pull air con fuse and see if it fixes idle issue would be a good way to isolate the fault.

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Margate, TAS

Ok two questions

1: When you say "thermo fan in front of the radiator" i assume your not talking about the radiator clutch fan that is attached to the motor

2: when the engine is warm does it idle between 800-900RPM?
                  1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Comment

• AndyNH91
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Adelaide Hills

The two coolant hoses that go to your throttle body go into the Fast Idle Air Valve (FIAV). Works much like your thermostat except it is designed to close as the coolant temperature increases. The valve that it closes off is an air bypass to your throttle body i.e. lets more air in to the engine while the coolant is cold, hence the faster RPM. You can read about its operation in the factory service manual or the Gregory's / Haynes if you are keen.

It is adjustable, but it's a bit of a pig to get to the adjustment. You need to pry the disc out of the end of it, then unwind the collar with a set of needle nose pliers and then screw the plunger head out so that it closes the valve at a lower temperature.

No harm in the behaviour of the engine as you describe it though.
                    Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• AndyNH91
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Adelaide Hills

I guess the other way to look at it is... faster revs when the engine is cold, means it burns a bit more fuel, hence more heat and thus gets up to operating temperature faster. This is a good thing, and is a commonly misunderstood design goal of the cooling system i.e don't let the engine overheat, but at the same time allow the engine to reach operating temperature of say 80-90degC as quick as possible. This is also why you have a thermostat, so the radiator can be isolated when the car is below operating temperature. Too cold an engine is a problem as well as too hot an engine. Make sense?
                      Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Margate, TAS

if the electric fan is on in the front of the car then i would say your A/C system might be playing up.

Comment

• AndyNH91
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by P-E-T-E- View Post
                          if the electric fan is on in the front of the car then i would say your A/C system might be playing up.
                          If you wanted to fix something, I think Pete is on the right track. Pretty sure the condenser fan shouldn't be on if your A/C is switched off at the dash.
                          Andrew

Comment

• ohnyou
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Southern Cross (From Germany)

Hi
                            Just a question, can i close that hole in the middle completly so the car is idleling when cold with the normal revs?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
                              • Sep 2012
                              • Margate, TAS

when the air con is activated the A/C system will automatically increase engine RPM to help the pump operate more efficiently

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X