• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kroony
    • Nov 2016
    • QLD

NL tow ball weight

I've been reading a lot about this, but would love some actual experiences with it.
    We have a 98 3.5L NL and will be towing a windup camper (ATM 1410kg). Without being fully loaded it has a ball weight of 140kg which is perfect according to the 10% rule. The problem is the car says max ball weight of 135kg. I think I've read at least one person who has had this officially increased, but I don't know how to go about this or if I'd even need to bother. Has anyone else had to do this? Can Mitsubishi do this without mechanical changes? (we have the HD to package)
    Are the authorities lenient with 5-10kg of ball weight? I expect more so than insurance companies either way.

I am thinking of using a WDH anyway as there will be a bunch of gear in the boot too and that's basically all behind the rear axle.

Any more info or experience with this word be great.
  • LanaB
    • Nov 2012
    • Millicent, SA near some of the best sand/beach driving in Australia

is that what it says in the handbook, or what is stamped on the towbar? if its the latter, maybe an upgrade hitch/bar will be the way to go. I thought my Triton was low, at 190kg but 135kg is almost a joke. Even my Subaru Outback is 160kg.
    2005 MK Triton GLS 2.8TD manual, some fruit, much more to come.
    retired .. '94 NJ, GLS, swb, 3.0l

Comment

• Kroony
      • Nov 2016
      • QLD

It's actually stamped on the tongue and there's a sticker on the bumper. I'll be using a different tongue, and I thought of removing the sticker but I did find one species sheet for the NL that mentioned 135kg.

The funny thing is the wording of the sticker as it mentions a weight distribution device as if it would make an exception, but with no details. It says: maximum 135kg vertical tow ball load
      (then on a new line with new font) with a weight distribution device

Seems odd to mention it without an intermediate weight or a higher Max weight when fitted.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

From this NZ website;
        [url]http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/maintenance/towing/towing-weights/mitsubishi/[/ur]

Pajero 3.5 V6 manual, auto 1989 - 1994 unbraked 750kg, braked 1,800kg (std bar)
        2,500kg (heavy duty bar)

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• tomwithannl
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Kroony
          Until you have your camper fully loaded and ready for a trip your tow ball weight is irrelevant.
          As long as you are not OVER THE ATM you just redistribute the contents until you are JUST under the legal tow ball weight. The closer you can get to the legal weight without exceeding it the better the van will tow. Your 5 - 10 kg would just be a box of books in the back instead of the front.

Tom

PS: Stated in NL handbook:
          Maximum static trailer weight imposed on vehicle towbar - 135kg
          Max trailer weight, braked 2500 KG
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute
          1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
          2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Kroony
            • Nov 2016
            • QLD

This is getting worse!

Apparently, even thought the tow bar has 135kg stamped all over it, the car manual says 100kg, so that's it. I guess it's different depending on the year or something.

So now Mitsubishi has made it illegal for me to safely tow a load that the car is rated to tow by limiting my ball weight to 4% of the total weight. Looks like I'll have to keep working on this.

Comment

• tomwithannl
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Kroony
              Which car manual states 100kg?

As I stated above the hand book for a 1998 Pajero NL states this:

Maximum static trailer weight imposed on vehicle towbar - 135kg
              Max trailer weight, braked 2500 KG

PS: My vehicle is also a 1998 Pajero NL and the original owners manual definitely states it is max 135KG on the tow ball.

Tom
              1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
              1953 Morris Minor ute
              1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
              2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Kroony
                • Nov 2016
                • QLD

Here are some pictures of the manual. I got one person on the phone who said it made a difference if it was a 97 or a 98, so maybe there are some of each in 98.
                Maybe I just need to find a newer manual.
                Attached Files

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

I believe there was an "amendment" offered by MMA to fit new stickers etc about the mid '90s to increase ball weight to 250kg. I think Toyota offered a similar process for their 80 series to increase it's towing capacity from 2.5t to 3t.

I learnt about the Pajero upgrade on this forum. The thread included links to the recall information and the process involved to go to dealer to organise re tagging.

I never bothered with doing this for my NJ because it was stamped 250kg.

I think

Peter
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• twc
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Tewantin Qld

re towbar weights

Yes It can be done easily......... depending on the towbar fitted and the model of your car

I had the same probrom with my 2000 NL (3500)

Went to jayco who took one look at the tow bar { heavy duty hayman reese) and said the weights were wrong Good at the time the vehicle was released but had gone through overhaul due to later models
                    . Suggested I go to an authorised Hayman reese distributor and see about an upgrade to the tow ball weight. Very easy in the end, They took the serial/model number of the towbar fitted and the vin number of the car, checked his data base and found they matched.
                    Applied to the national transport authority ( cant recall which particular section) for a replacement placard for the towbar and the door label in the car. Now registered and legal for tow bar weight of 250kg. .....not that i want to put that much weight on the back.
                    The original towball weight on the bar was stamped max of 120kg which rules out the 135kg as in the manual. The stamp on the bar takes precedent over any manual or manufacturers documents.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X