• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JK017
    • Sep 2012
    • Pinjarra WA

Oil Catch Can

A few triton owners I have spoken to have all recommended the fitment of a catch can setup to the DID engine. Basically to stop oil fowling the intercooler.

Although I have not had a good look as to where you could install one and the best way to set it up.

Looking on ebay and it appears they go inline. (eg) Hose in and house out, so no fumes are released and the oil is trapped into the canister. Unlike the one on my performance car, which vents to the atmosphere, via a filter on the top of the catch can. Which is not technically legal

Has anyone else with the DID engine gone down this path? Or care to offer an opinion. thanks
    2012 PB Challenger - TJM Nudge Bar, Uniden UHF, Narva Spotlights, Parkside Towbar, Auto Safe Cargo Barrier, Dark Tint, Dual Battery setup, custom DIY rear storage and fridge slide setup.
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Plenty if not most members that fit oil catch cans here use the closed system ones.
    The problem is not burning crankcase vapour but burning oil.

Make sure you get a decent one. The cheapies can increase crank case pressure which is bad.

What are you looking at? The Provent 200 is a great unit.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• seagoon77
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth WA

Have a look at this thread, it has some good info.

Warren
      MY11 PB White Challenger manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, STEDI Type X Pro Driving Lights, Baja Design Stealth 10" LED Light Bar, OME Suspension 2" Lift, OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks, OEM Towbar, Bushskinz Bash Plates, 3M Full Tint, Uniden 7700NB UHF, Telstra Tough Max 2 with Car Kit, Mobile One UHF & Phone Antenna's, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Narva Daytime Running Lamps, Alpine iDA-X305s Head Unit - SPR-60C Splits front - SPR-60 rear Speakers

Comment

• JK017
        • Sep 2012
        • Pinjarra WA

Cheers for the link.

Looks like to provent is the best option, rather than one of the catch cans with the steel wool.
        2012 PB Challenger - TJM Nudge Bar, Uniden UHF, Narva Spotlights, Parkside Towbar, Auto Safe Cargo Barrier, Dark Tint, Dual Battery setup, custom DIY rear storage and fridge slide setup.

Comment

• tilly
          • Apr 2012
          • Bundaberg

I want to fit a oil catcher, who has done this as I would like to know
          where the hoses connect out of and where to if possible.
          And a few pics would be great assistance.
          Please dont refer me to the Pajero forum as its a different motor

Comment

• seagoon77
            • Aug 2007
            • Perth WA

Some ideas here: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...tch+can&page=3

Warren
            MY11 PB White Challenger manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, STEDI Type X Pro Driving Lights, Baja Design Stealth 10" LED Light Bar, OME Suspension 2" Lift, OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks, OEM Towbar, Bushskinz Bash Plates, 3M Full Tint, Uniden 7700NB UHF, Telstra Tough Max 2 with Car Kit, Mobile One UHF & Phone Antenna's, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Narva Daytime Running Lamps, Alpine iDA-X305s Head Unit - SPR-60C Splits front - SPR-60 rear Speakers

Comment

• tilly
              • Apr 2012
              • Bundaberg

I spoke with my mechanic today and he thinks that using a catch
              can will stop the oil from lubricating seals and bearings in the turbo.
              As Im not knowlegable in this area perhaps some one with greater
              info can advise.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

change mechanic!

I am surprised that your mechanic thinks the Crankcase Ventilation inputs on the intake side of the turbo.
                Turbo has it's own pressurised oil supply.
                CV inputs after the turbo outlet and before the intercooler.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• RogerB
                  • Jun 2012
                  • Victor Harbor SA

Originally posted by tilly View Post
                  Sounds like the sort of thing the local Mitsubishi mechanic here would say before he engaged his brain.
                  2012 Challenger LS Auto (White), Headlight & Stoneguard protectors, Bridgestone D697 AT's, HR tow-bar, HR Brake Controller, Dual Battery, 1.5Kw Inverter, Reversing Camera, ScanGaugeII, Nudge Bar, Fyrlyt driving lights.

Comment

• RMX
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by tilly View Post
                    As Im not knowlegable in this area perhaps some one with greater
                    info can advise.
                    Interesting theory...... Your mechanic obviously hasn't noticed the oil feed and return from the turbo.
                    The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

*Click links above to be taken to each build post*

Comment

• Morville
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      I am surprised that your mechanic thinks the Crankcase Ventilation inputs on the intake side of the turbo.
                      Turbo has it's own pressurised oil supply.
                      CV inputs after the turbo outlet and before the intercooler.

cheers, old Jack.
                      Actually your mechanic is correct, the crankcase ventilation inputs before the turbo. If it was after the turbo the turbo pressure would prevent the crankcase being ventilated.
                      Peter

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Old Jack is wrong!

Your right Peter, I should have looked under the bonnet to check.

The CV is connected between the turbo inlet and the air box, I pulled the hose off and the fitting out expecting some kind of valve but no nothing, I haven't remove the engine cover yet so I don't know if there is a valve at the engine end of the CV hose.

I still standby my comments that the turbo is not lubricated by the oil in the CV gases.

cheers, old Jack.
                        Attached Files
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• fuelconsumption
                          • Feb 2012
                          • Canberra

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Your right Peter, I should have looked under the bonnet to check.

The CV is connected between the turbo inlet and the air box, I pulled the hose off and the fitting out expecting some kind of valve but no nothing, I haven't remove the engine cover yet so I don't know if there is a valve at the engine end of the CV hose.

I still standby my comments that the turbo is not lubricated by the oil in the CV gases.

cheers, old Jack.
                          G'day, OJ. Yes, the rocker cover is plumbed direct to the turbo inlet, with no valve of any sort at either end. It's very easy for me to see this, because one of the first things I did after buying the car was to rip off and discard that ridiculous plastic engine cover, pretentious lump of garbage that it is. Why would anyone want to look at a cheap, fake piece of black plastic rather than the beautiful engine? Beats me, people are so strange
                          And yes, the turbo has it's own force fed oil supply for the bearings.

BTW, I like your approach. Rave when you are right, but make an immediate, frank and full admission when you are not, which in your case is fortunately not often
                          Vehicles: Challenger, MY2012, Manual base model, ECB Bbar, HR Towbar, Skinz, 8.0 l/100km. Railcar, 200cc 4-stroke industrial engine, 2.5l/100k. Mountain bike#1, 32cc 4-stroke, CVT transmission, full suspension, 1.5l/100km. Mountain bike#2, biological engine, 0.0 l/100km

Comment

• JK017
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Pinjarra WA

When I had the pipe that goes to the throttle body off today there is a definate oil film inside the pipe and the last thing that I would wand in the intercooler.

As for catch can, I was thinking best place in the tight engine bay would be behind the right headlight.

However I am looking into fitting the TJM AirTech Snorkel. Could someone post a pix of where this snorkel runs on the inside of the engine bay. As fitting a catch can now might be more of a problem.

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

JK, I have been thinking about a catch can for some months as I to don't like the idea of oil condensing in the intercooler (this must reduce the intercooler efficiency) and from what I have read, the combined effect with the EGR gases can really clag up the intake manifold. Interestingly when I asked a Mits Tech about catch cans it was NO NO NO but couldn't explain why!

From my research, it appears the "Provent" catch can is the safest and best option but the problem is the PV200 is very large and the Challenger is limited for space to fit a PV200, apparently the diameter of the connecting hoses is critical so as not to build up back pressure, so I am a little concerned about lengthening the hoses by 3 times if the PV is mounted behind the headlight or some other distance from the turbo inlet as this will add back pressure also.

There is a smaller PV150 that is suited for the engine size and I will see if it is possible to mount this on the side of the airbox, so the hoses are as short as possible but the PV is far enough away from the heat of the turbo.

I will post a reply in the next few days on progress.

cheers, old Jack.

BTW, thanks FC for your kind words and I won't take the "rave when you are right" comment the wrong way.
                              Last edited by old Jack; 16-12-12, 08:23 AM. Reason: BTW for FC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X