• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicomte
    • Mar 2011
    • Normanhurst

Advice sought. New head unit, USB power, Want to keep mirror reverse camera

Hi all

I've decided to go with some budget conscious upgrades. In my NP I upgraded the head unit to a Kenwood/Garmin one a few years back, but then it got written off and I'm wary of overspend given the meantime I bought a Garmin RV 775 MT-S with HEMA maps.

Anyway project as follows. Should I pay someone, or something here with some experience able to help in Sydney Northern Suburbs?

# Note.
    - Will leave existing reverse cam connected to inbuilt display in rear view mirror. Just need to makes sure it still works after head unit replaced. Possible?
    - I'm game to try replacing the headunit myself, but wiring in extra USB sockets is beyond me.

2013 Pajero NW GLX-R (Gen 4)
    1. Replace radio head-unit from factory non-rockford with JVC KW-M960BW double din
    - I am mail-ordering all harnesses so should be easy plug out/in.
    - install microphone in driver side A pillar
    - reconnecting one USB from new headunit to existing factory USB socket in glovebox
    - run lead from back of headunit to second USB to come out in card holder below aircon unit, maybe drill hole in back and put in a grommet with USB coming through?
    - This unit doesn't have nav maps, but connects to Android Auto. Manual suggests I need to put GPS on dash for android auto to pickup/use maps?

2. Install Garmin 56 dashcam at center top behind rear view mirror, (powered via USB)
    - I'm thinking hardwiring to fuse box
    - while putting in head unit mic, may run cable via driver side A pillar trim (existing factory mic is crap in my opinion)

3. Install Narva USB-A/USB-C 81106BL base of centre dash, next to existing aux cigarette socket
    There is a blank plate for where Exceed/VRX would have seat heating.
    Looks "easy" to access once you undo trim plate above dash in each footwell, unscrew and remove them, unscrew centre section and pop out radio/aircon units.

4. Install Narva dual USB-A 81108BL rear of centre console - maybe behind hand brake.
    There is an aux power in centre console, however I understand from Paj enthusiasts on this forum, wiring to aux in centre console isn't very high gauge.

It may be good to run new wire from dash under centre console to back to power new USB.
    Easy to remove by removing cupholders and unscrewing, sliding back and out.

Was looking at back of centre console for backseat, but saw comments that that's a licence for broken parts with kids/junk kicking USB leads.

I'll supply ( if/when it turns up in mail):
    * Fascia plate
    * JVC KW-M960BW -
    -- Pictures https://au.jvc.com/car/av_receivers/kw_m960bw/
    -- Manual https://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-3343-00.pdf
    * Aerpro Wiring Harness - Suit JVC / Kenwood Head Units, APP8KE4
    * Aepro JVC patch lead suits control harness c APJVCPL
    -- https://au.jvc.com/car/av_receivers/...ing_Remote.pdf
    * Narva USB-A/USB-C 81106BL
    * Narva dual USB-A 81108BL

Don't know about fuse taps/adaptors and fuses for stuff.
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by vicomte View Post
    Hi all

- Will leave existing reverse cam connected to inbuilt display in rear view mirror. Just need to makes sure it still works after head unit replaced. Possible?
    Yes, I did it in my NW, spliced into the video feed - I have the original rear-view mirror feed AND the new head-unit displaying when in reverse.

- I'm game to try replacing the headunit myself, but wiring in extra USB sockets is beyond me.
    Seems a bit backwards? Wiring in USB sockets is easy. Just 2 wires (assuming you just need them for recharging purposes?)

I spent months planning my head-unit install, mind you I used zero adaptors or plug and play looms. Way more complex than 2 wires for a USB socket!

- while putting in head unit mic, may run cable via driver side A pillar trim (existing factory mic is crap in my opinion)
    Yes it is. I put the new Mic in the roof console behind one of the blanking plugs.

There is an aux power in centre console, however I understand from Paj enthusiasts on this forum, wiring to aux in centre console isn't very high gauge.
    No It's fine for the small amount of current a USB charging socket needs.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• vicomte
      • Mar 2011
      • Normanhurst

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
      Yes, I did it in my NW, spliced into the video feed - I have the original rear-view mirror feed AND the new head-unit displaying when in reverse.
      That's beyond me, other than some kind of RCA splitter I'm not sure how to do this or if the power needs to be upped to feed to both the new head unit and rear view mirror. Any basic tip on how that works? Anything complex about how you did that? Is the existing camera feed to the rear-view mirror going through the radio in the dash? how do you access that? is it RCA?

My existing setup looks like this: https://aerpro.com/sites/default/fil...?itok=Q49J93Pn

Seems a bit backwards? Wiring in USB sockets is easy. Just 2 wires (assuming you just need them for recharging purposes?)
      Yeah just for charging. With the exception of the two USB' accesses for the headunit, one for android auto, the other just for tunes or whatever, the other Narva USB plugs are meant for plugging in GPS/phones/tablet for road trips.

Thanks for the tip - I know the basics of electricity/AC/DC and connecting like-colour cables, but must admit, have never done anything power orientated in a car beyond changing a car battery. Tapping into main/ignition power isn't something I've done before, or where to begin to do it.

Once again, I wish there was a basic half day course on car electricals/mechanics to do the basics.

I spent months planning my head-unit install, mind you I used zero adaptors or plug and play looms. Way more complex than 2 wires for a USB socket!
      I'm not that old. But work has been crazy lately. I guess right now, just don't have the mental stamina to work it all out to be honest, just glad to be in a job, given everything going on.

Looking to solve it without too much fuss. I know if I pay an auto electrician, he'll do what I ask him to, but it may not be 'right' or 'best'. Hence why I've gotten back on forum here, as others have worked out the wins/fails on setups and have advice on what works. I've lurked here for years, and usually found I don't actually need to ask a question as most have been asked before and someone has the answer.

Comment

• vicomte
        • Mar 2011
        • Normanhurst

Update

I have foregone the USB ports till when I get back from a camping trip planned next week. In the meantime, I took the advice/images/youtubes from here, pulled out the aircon vents, aircon controls, fascia, and then Mitsubishi Motors 8701A262 unit.

Lost a couple of those white clips in the process!

I put in a
        * CHMB6C as primary harness.
        * APP8KE4 as secondary harness.
        * APJVCPL from C2 Box to do steering wheel remote.

Also ran wires for the Garman 56 while running the microphone wire.

Plugged the blue/yellow cable from the CHMB6C / APJVCPL to the blue/yellow in the APP8KE4.

Grounded the park brake (thanks for that tip too!)

Replaced fascia. Put it all together and then realised that while the steering wheel, including volume up/down, 'mode' and forward/back seem to work, the call buttons don't.
        a) the 'smart' (Left) button and 'pickup call' (middle) tell the radio to 'Att'enuate.
        b) the hang-up (Right) button, does nothing.

Have rung Aerpro / TDJ, they didn't have any easy fixes. Suggested that I take out the APJVCPL and put in a APUNIPL2 to 'teach' it to 'self learn' all the steering wheel buttons. He didn't agree that the guide here would be any use:

Thoughts?

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

I would expect the "sync" process described at the bottom of your linked document would be required.

The fact that some buttons are working suggests that the wiring is correct - you simply need to teach your head unit which buttons do what.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

Thoughts?
            Can't help with the adaptor specifics sorry as I did not use any.
            Steering wheel control is 2 wires and each button press presents a unique resistance.
            The Pioneer unit I have 'learns' the button pressed via a setup menu - basically you press what function you want to program and then press the corresponding steering wheel button.

If your headunit has a similar function that may work for you without the adaptors.
            If it cannot 'learn' I guess you are going down the track of getting the adaptors to work.

For my Pioneer, I had to select 'No adaptor' and them 'Korean' and not 'Japanese' vehicle in the setup. It must change the range of resistances it's looking for or something..
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• technogeekery
              • Oct 2015
              • Sydney

I can't give any advice on this as I'm non-technical, and wouldn't dream of trying this complex an install. But I just replaced same non-rockford head unit with an Alpine ILX702d, and upgraded factory speakers with Alpine rears and Morel Maximus splits for the front. Total transformation in the sound, and super nice having Android Auto for nav, DAB radio etc. I used Auto Acoustics in St Peters for the work and they did a decent job. Integrates nicely, both visually (looks great) and practically (reversing camera, steering wheel controls, USB etc all work, fascia is perfect and it feels & looks like factory. They also did soundproofing when they had the door panels off. $2.5k all up, so not a cheap upgrade, but it took an expert auto electrician a full day to install and integrate, so its not an easy job.

Comment

• gas55
                • Apr 2015
                • Port Macquarie

My head unit has the usual 'learn' features for volume up-down, next track etc. and mode, but does not recognise the original phone buttons.
                Maybe only applicable to MMC unit?
                But anyway, it recognises a call and connects straight away, and cuts off if the other person hangs up or you hang up or tap the screen.
                Greg

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by gas55 View Post
                  My head unit has the usual 'learn' features for volume up-down, next track etc. and mode, but does not recognise the original phone buttons.
                  Maybe only applicable to MMC unit?
                  But anyway, it recognises a call and connects straight away, and cuts off if the other person hangs up or you hang up or tap the screen.
                  Did you wire up your SWC buttons yourself, or does your head unit use a CANbus adaptor for the controls?
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• gas55
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Port Macquarie

The unit (Dig Options) has in the programming a section to set up the car, with type of sound, equaliser, etc.etc
                    Including the ability to select mode, radio, sound up/down etc. by selecting the feature, selecting the button on the SW and storing.
                    But will not accept anything to do with the phone. Doesn't worry us tho'.
                    The unit is Pajero specific and came with a dash fascia. The worst feature is the minute boot-up, as it is a small computer.
                    Greg.
                    Greg

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X