• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisfarru
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Central Coast NSW

Ryco RCC350K catch can - WARNING

Got this catch can from RYCO because it looked like a nice bit of kit. Couldn't get a provent because of its size and my snorkel. Install was easy but weeks later I blew a hose of the turbo solenoid and noted the dipstick had popped. On FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.

I spoke to a knowledgeable guy (Matthew) at Ryco and he tells me that he heard heaps of similar reports from Pajero users. Apparently something to do with the way our diesel motors scavenge causing high crankcase pressures which cause the internal valve in the catch can to trip and block off flow completely. The fix is to pry open the top of the can, remove the valve and resealing the whole unit with glue or silicon.

Because of this issue, they have updated the catch can and the new one is RCC351K. So make sure if you buy one, don't get any old stock 350s.
    NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Well damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bb2wa
      • Apr 2018
      • Perth

Originally posted by chrisfarru View Post
      Got this catch can from RYCO because it looked like a nice bit of kit. Couldn't get a provent because of its size and my snorkel. Install was easy but weeks later I blew a hose of the turbo solenoid and noted the dipstick had popped. On FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.

I spoke to a knowledgeable guy (Matthew) at Ryco and he tells me that he heard heaps of similar reports from Pajero users. Apparently something to do with the way our diesel motors scavenge causing high crankcase pressures which cause the internal valve in the catch can to trip and block off flow completely. The fix is to pry open the top of the can, remove the valve and resealing the whole unit with glue or silicon.

Because of this issue, they have updated the catch can and the new one is RCC351K. So make sure if you buy one, don't get any old stock 350s.
      Sent a query to Ryco. This was the response:

No there is no issue. The RCC350 is suitable for diesel vehicles. The RCC351 now suits both petrol and diesel vehicles. No upgrade is required for the one you have.
      2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• chrisfarru
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Central Coast NSW

Call Ryco and ask to speak to Matthew H, the Kiwi bloke.
        NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can

Comment

• Silverfox
          • Apr 2010
          • Adelaide

Spoke with my mechanic after reading the opening post as I have the RCC350.
          He called the Ryco rep in Adelaide and gave him my number.

The Ryco rep called me and assured me there is no issue with the RCC350.

The RCC351 was developed to cater for high performance diesel motors or those that have been modified with greater output than factory.

For the standard NS diesel there is no issue with the RCC350.

Top bloke and was absolutley definitive there is no issue with the RCC350 for the standard NS.

Comment

• Silverfox
            • Apr 2010
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by bb2wa View Post
            Sent a query to Ryco. This was the response:

No there is no issue. The RCC350 is suitable for diesel vehicles. The RCC351 now suits both petrol and diesel vehicles. No upgrade is required for the one you have.
            Why would you need a CC for a petrol motor??

Comment

• Kingmarz
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2016
              • South Island New Zealand

The RCC351 was developed to cater for high performance diesel motors or those that have been modified with greater output than factory.

To me they’re admitting there’s a problem.
              What about a standard NS towing?
              What about a standard NS fully loaded with bars, rails etc?
              What about a standard NS naturally running more boost as stock (as they do when they age)
              What about a standard NS being pushed hard on soft sand?

I bet it wouldn’t have kept up with the massive amounts of blowby from my old 4m40.
              02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Silverfox View Post
                Spoke with my mechanic after reading the opening post as I have the RCC350.
                He called the Ryco rep in Adelaide and gave him my number.

The Ryco rep called me and assured me there is no issue with the RCC350.

Top bloke and was absolutley definitive there is no issue with the RCC350 for the standard NS.

Sounds like a croc to me. Ryco saw a chance to make some money and dived in. To tell me that the product is fine for an NS but no good for an NS that has more hp from an ECU remap sounds like complete bullsite. The can is no good for the slightly modified NS but is ok on the more powerful NW...HAHAHA. RRYCO JUST WONT ADMIT THEY GOT IT WRONG.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• MatthewP
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • North of Brisbane

Petrol engines with Direct injection get oil crud build up on the back of the inlet valves.

With Port injection there isn't an issue because the oil vapour doesn't get a chance to build up because of the petrol flowing over the valve
                  05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• chrisfarru
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Central Coast NSW

Total BS!

The RYCO guy told me clearly they had heaps of issues with this catch can and that's why they discontinued it. I removed the diaphragm and springs like he asked me and he assured me that would fix the problem.

Comment

• El_Freddo
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Bridgewater, Vic

The opening post sounds like bs. “On FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.” classic.

How does that happen? It can’t.

I’m yet to get a catch can, it’s on my to do list - and I’ve read many times that you pay for what you get with these.

Now waits for the can of worms to open with all the videos and comparisons.

Cheers

Bennie
                      2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by El_Freddo View Post
                        The opening post sounds like bs. “On FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.” classic.

How does that happen? It can’t.

I’m yet to get a catch can, it’s on my to do list - and I’ve read many times that you pay for what you get with these.

Now waits for the can of worms to open with all the videos and comparisons.

Cheers

Bennie

4 1/2 years ago I bought the Pro Vent for my NW. There were few catch cans on the market. Proven product with zero safety issues. Since then the copy cats and let’s make some money mobs have moved in with catch cans. . I,m still on my original filter (have a spare) and glad I went with the best.
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

ProVent® Style Universal Oil Separator

ProVent 200 Catch Can

ProVent® Style Oil Catch Can

Which one is genuine?

Comment

• chrisfarru
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • Central Coast NSW

Dear Bennie, If you bothered to read my post I said I wished I got a Provent but it said clearly it won't fit with my snorkel. The can was just too big for the location. The Provent can was only $50 more than the Ryco

When I read about the issues with the same can from someone else, if it's FB or a forum or flipping twitter I don't care, that's when it dawned on me the issues I had were because of the can.

The guy from Ryco clearly told me there's an issue with this can that is easily fixed and that's what I did. When the crankcase pressure is too high, there's an internal valve in the can that shuts the flow completely causing very high crankcase pressures causing damage to seals and will pop your dipstick.

He's the man to talk to at Ryco
                            [email protected]

Comment

• pharb
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Tyers,Vic

Catch cans have purpose on all internal combustion engines, petrol or diesel.

Combustion pressure leaks past piston rings into the sump, pressurising the sump and forcing oil mist and contamination into the inlet manifold.

Of course more an issue with higher performance or modified engines because they are more likely to spend time with larger throttle openings with resultant higher combustion pressure.

Have a look at some old Street Machine mags and you will probably see quite a number of very shiney catch cans.

Catch cans are very fashionable with diesels in recent years due to the added issue of EGR gas cooking the oil blow by and creating restricted inlet manifolds.

EGRs have only been utilised in diesels since late1990's, but the up take of smaller cubic displacement, higher turbo boost and common rail injection providing lots of power but in doing so inadvertantly generated larger combustion pressures and more combustion blow by.
                              PCOV Member 1107.
                              Daily driver NX GLX
                              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X