• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan1000
    • Jul 2019
    • Auckland New Zealand

Well documented gear box/ drive train vibration

Hi All,

Recently purchases an 07 Pajero. Ex Japan in fantastic condition. It is a 3.8 petrol.

It has the vibration at 2100 - 2400 rpm. Some great advice and info on this forum. I have removed the dampener block that sits behind the transmission, replaced the cross member bushes, and replaced the engine mount that is fitted to the cross member.

It has got better (my wife doesnt notice it), but I do, especially sitting at 100km on the motorway.

It seems like a lot of effort has gone into this problem. What is the outcome for people? Give up and just deal with it? Sell the truck and get another? Or is there something else to do now to deal to that final bit of vibration?

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Apart from that, great vehicle. Just need to sort out the factory stereo now too which looks like it needs a special adapter.

Thanks
    Nathan
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

What is the harmonic balancer pulley on the crankshaft like? The rubber in the pulley may be stuffed. Is the vibration engine speed related (2100 - 2499 R/min) or is it at all road speeds in different gears. I am not sure how you check the balancer pulley, but if you can isolate it to road speed or engine speed this may give you some guidance.

If it is engine speed related, you may be getting misfire in one or more cylinders at the speed range. Check the HT leads by opening the bonnet in total darkness and running the engine. If there are problems wit the HT leads you will see the leads glowing in the dark.

Comment

• Pugg
      • Mar 2016
      • Queenstown

Hey Nathan,
      can't help on the vibration.
      As for the factory stereo you can get a cd with software to change the stereo to English.
      I kept mine & loaded up the gps with nz maps, although not as good as using google maps on your phone.
      let me know if you want more details for the English swap
      cheers
      NS Super Exceed 3.8, MCC bar, Hella daytime, Bushskinz, Boos rear bumper protector, Diff and trans breathers, Safari snorkel, lift with Lovells/ Bilsteins, Runva Winch, Good year wrangler duratrac 265/60/18, plus a set of Desert Hawk Muds on a second set of wheels.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

You say you changed the cross member bushes and mount that sits on the cross member. There are 2 engine mounts also and these are the ones that normally fail causing vibration as documented in this forum. Pic below.
        Attached Files
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• 4ePikanini
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2009
          • South Africa, East London

Is the vibration there in 2H and 4H?

Have you greased the universals on the propshaft(s)?
          1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
          2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
          2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
          2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Nathan1000
            • Jul 2019
            • Auckland New Zealand

Thanks heaps. OK, I'll have a go of the engine mounts next. Hopefully that will sort it.

Comment

• Nathan1000
              • Jul 2019
              • Auckland New Zealand

And to answer the question the vibration is present in neutral, 2H and 4H. When the revs get to 2100rpm there is a vibration / resonance - like a hum and then fades at about 2400rpm.

Adding slight pressure to the gear box under the car with a jack eliminates all vibration, so it does point to the engine / gear box not being secured properly.

I should probably change the title to remove the drive train from it.

Comment

• pronvit
                • Mar 2019
                • New Zealand

I also have some vibration somewhere around 2500rpm. It's not too bad, but it gets amplified by one of my underbody protection plates. Anyway.. doing some stuff under the car I noticed the bushes on the attached photo are loose - are these the ones you replaced?
                Attached Files
                2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• benckj
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Alexandra , New Zealand

My vibration completely disappeared after removing dampner. It would even vibrate when car wasn't in motion so I'm sure it wasn't bush/mount related.

Comment

• pronvit
                    • Mar 2019
                    • New Zealand

Originally posted by benckj View Post
                    My vibration completely disappeared after removing dampner. It would even vibrate when car wasn't in motion so I'm sure it wasn't bush/mount related.
                    Can you show me somewhere which dampener it is?

My vibration depends on the engine load, so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with exhaust also.
                    2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

Comment

• benckj
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2017

The dampner is the one mentioned in first post that sits on the transmission mount. I removed this off completely after truck sat at Mitsi dealer trying to figure out where vibration was coming from. We had it on the hoist and ran it in all gears including neutral and vibration always occurred at 2200rpm. Once dampner removed the vibration all but vanished. I was surprised that Mitsi didn't know about this problem, although I do live in a rather small town.

Comment

• pronvit
                        • Mar 2019
                        • New Zealand

Thanks. Although I should've Googled myself first. So to answer my own questions, here's a good post with photos about the dampener and the bushes. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=36280 Going to order the bushes now.

Comment

• benckj
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2017

Mine didn't seem to be bush related as truck only had 64km on the clock when I imported from Japan. All the bushes and underside were pristine. Maybe if the bushes get softer over time the it will decrease but using hard new rubber would most likely increase vibrations IMO.

Comment

• Nathan1000
                            • Jul 2019
                            • Auckland New Zealand

Yep thats the bushes I replaced, while you are there you may as well do the rear engine / transmission mount.

Removing the dampener, and replacing the bushes and mount has helped but not 100%.

Will work my way through the other engine mounts now and see what happens. I'll post outcome.

Comment

• pronvit
                              • Mar 2019
                              • New Zealand

Originally posted by Nathan1000 View Post
                              while you are there you may as well do the rear engine / transmission mount.
                              How difficult is this one?
                              Last edited by pronvit; 23-08-19, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X