• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

Best secondary battery tray for under-bonnet install

Hi,

Just wondering what forum members have used for their under-bonnet secondary battery tray please.
    I previously had the Piranha tray which was great, but a pain to remove the wheel arch trim to get the bolt through & I was hoping that there may be another quality brand that doesn't require this extra support piece & nut through the wheel arch?
    Can't seem to find one with my research?

I want to go under bonnet as I prefer this than using the third seat well.

Appreciate any & all replies.

Cheers,
    Sam
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
  • dbdb
    • Aug 2008
    • Adelaide Hills

I've got one from http://boss4wd.com.au/. Got it 4 1/2 years ago. Mounts using existing bolts and threaded locations. Would get another.
    14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
    04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• sam.cath
      • Dec 2014
      • Sunshine Coast

Thanks dbdb.
      Will give them a call first thing.

Hopefully it's just as strong & stable without the bolt needing to go through the wheel arch.

Cheers,
      Sam
      2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• paceman
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2018
        • Mackay

i just finished adding an ARB battery tray to my NT...

really solid and also replaces the existing plastic main battery tray...

was able to add a 60 amp deep cycle battery as the AUX and it works a treat...
        Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• sam.cath
          • Dec 2014
          • Sunshine Coast

Thanks Paceman.
          I went into our local ARB & they didn't have a clue about any tray except for the Piranha one, so I asked whether speaking to their installers would help. He said that they haven't fitted one to a Pajero for ages??
          I though that they did a double one as well.

Think I'll call Nundah in Brisbane which is their big office & ask someone down there!

Cheers Sam
          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• paceman
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2018
            • Mackay

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
            Thanks Paceman.
            I went into our local ARB & they didn't have a clue about any tray except for the Piranha one, so I asked whether speaking to their installers would help. He said that they haven't fitted one to a Pajero for ages??
            I though that they did a double one as well.

Think I'll call Nundah in Brisbane which is their big office & ask someone down there!

Cheers Sam
            try asking them for a battery tray for an NS model...

either way, you can definitely get one... i did and i fitted it myself without too much hassle...

just had to re-drill a couple of holes in the tray that didn't line up quite right...

from memory, it cost me about $200...

pics in my build thread show its placement and how i attached my traxide isolator...
            Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

I like the ARB one too because it replaces the factory plastic one that is known to brake.

If there are other brands that also do this, they would be worth considering too.
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• sam.cath
                • Dec 2014
                • Sunshine Coast

Thank guys.
                Will chase ARB a bit more on this.
                Our last OEM plastic tray did break too, so might be worth going the ARB option.

A little concerned that their installers at our local ARB branch haven't done one apparently??

Appreciate the replies.

Sam
                2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• koshari
                  • Oct 2018
                  • gippsland

i just put one in today, its a generic one from ebay, mainly bolts to existing points but does have one point that uses the same hole as the pirahna and requires access to the wheel arch, i instead just drilled another hole lower and used a self tapper, in time i will put a nutsert in the other hole to take a bolt. the size of it is excellent as it perfectly takes a supercharge MRV50 (which of course they didnt have in stock so i got a sea master marine instead which is the same size.) .

Comment

• Pixie_au
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Queensland

Installed the boss4wd one tonight (linked above). Took about 15 mins (mainly because I dropped a nut that I had to retrieve). Didn't require any drilling. Reused the guard bolt and the remaining bolts went into captive nuts on firewall and one threaded post on the guard. Looks reasonably good quality and the fact that it fitted without modification is promising. Holds N70 size battery too. All bolts supplied.

Comment

• sam.cath
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Sunshine Coast

I'm leaning towards to Boss 4WD tray.
                      I spoke to them today & it doesn't require the wheel arch fuss & seems good quality.

On a different note, I spoke to ARB in Brisbane & they said that they just replaced a tray that he thought might be a Piranha one with their ARB twin tray, because the wiring loom had been damaged by the previous tray which left the owner high & dry in the outback for some hours apparently.

Hopefully none of the major tray makers would allow good clearance to the big wiring loom, but you never know!

Cheers,
                      Sam
                      2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• Pixie_au
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Queensland

I'll be putting some hard shielding around that loom as they are touching.

Also would suggest running any wiring through the firewall grommet before fitting the tray because the tray blocks it.

Comment

• sam.cath
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Sunshine Coast

Thats not great news pixie_au
                          I thought that they would have designed it to not touch.

Any thoughts on what you're going to use to shield the wiring loom?
                          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• sam.cath
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Sunshine Coast

Its is very possible that they other chap whose wiring loom was damaged did something wrong or had it damaged through other means??
                            2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• koshari
                              • Oct 2018
                              • gippsland

i havnt connected the positive cables or the battery isolator yet as i am waiting for some fuse holders to arrive, however i will note the space between main loom and tray, i recall it seemed generous. btw i haven’t disturbed my main loom boot, i used the aux/spare boot for my cabling into the cab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X