Below Nav Bar

Collapse

SSB 130Ah Dry cell instead of Auxiliary battery setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aceisnow
    • Dec 2015
    • melbourne

SSB 130Ah Dry cell instead of Auxiliary battery setup?

Hey everyone,

Got some good info off a bloke off facebook so thought i would look into it a little more.

It is regarding Auxiliary Battery Set ups. Instead of setting one up he runs a single SSB battery 130 AH and 1000cc AMPs. He runs a direct positive into a multi plug box in the rear. I think it was a 25 amp wire. The only other thing is an inline fuse at the battery end.

Now keep in mind this is just one persons way of doing things and i am interested in finding out if anyone has done similar and pros and cons as i am not the most electrically minded person.

But for someone who wants to run a fridge and some lights for a few days this sounds like a good option.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Sounds ok. Make sure your cable is big enough.
    You need to make sure you can still start it after a few days. Fuse is definitely necessary will be alot of grunt from that cable.. You can put a 100w solar panel on and your good for 1 week posdibly longer.
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• aceisnow
      • Dec 2015
      • melbourne

So is the charging of the battery an issue? Do they run low quickly?

It should be fine for normal day to day though yeah? And just charge up when or before and after trips?

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I have 2 x 130 SSB as aux in the rear of my nw. Been in about 18 months and all good. I put an 80 amp , high CCA SSB STOP/START battery in to replace the factory original start battery. The SSB was rat shit after 20 months. I believe because it is an AGM the engine bay heat caused its early demise. Lesson learnt...no more AGM,s in engine bay. I put a high cca century 4wd battery in.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by aceisnow View Post
          Hey everyone,

Got some good info off a bloke off facebook so thought i would look into it a little more.

It is regarding Auxiliary Battery Set ups. Instead of setting one up he runs a single SSB battery 130 AH and 1000cc AMPs. He runs a direct positive into a multi plug box in the rear. I think it was a 25 amp wire. The only other thing is an inline fuse at the battery end.

Now keep in mind this is just one persons way of doing things and i am interested in finding out if anyone has done similar and pros and cons as i am not the most electrically minded person.

But for someone who wants to run a fridge and some lights for a few days this sounds like a good option.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
          Do you mean only having one battery and using it as both a deep cycle and cranking battery?
          Thats risky. Running a fridge and lights for a fews days could easily leave you stranded with a flat battery. If considering this setup then think about adding a battery monitor, a solar panel or carry a portable jump starter. Running the battery down too low will also decrease it's lifespan.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• aceisnow
            • Dec 2015
            • melbourne

So Dicko1

So you don't think the ssb drycell could live in the engine bay?

Aspey yes thats what i meant. Trying to see if its doable. As far as i have learnt the main issue is recharging so a charger /solar is a must. I don't have an aux now so just using my engine bay battery. So i would be in the same position if i got the ssb with only one battery but it potentially can power more.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

So Dicko1

Aspey yes thats what i meant. Trying to see if its doable. As far as i have learnt the main issue is recharging so a charger /solar is a must. I don't have an aux now so just using my engine bay battery. So i would be in the same position if i got the ssb with only one battery but it potentially can power more.

tHEY CLAIM THAT THEY ARE OK TO USE IN THE ENGINE BAY. mAYBE i WAS UNLUCKY. oNE GOOD THING. i TOOK IT STRAIGHT TO AN AUTHORISED ssb DEALER , SHOWED MY ORIGINAL INVOICE (FROM AN INTERSTATE SUPPLIER) AND NO WORRIES...GAVE ME A BRAND NEW BATTERY. uNFORTUNATELY i HAD ALREADY PURCHASED A NEW CENTURY. nEW BATTERY IS STILL IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX SITTING ON WORKBENCH.
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Aspey
                • Dec 2015
                • Great Southern Land

So Dicko1

The HVT range are supposed to be fine for under the bonnet, I hope so as I have 2 of them. They also have a 3 year warranty. No problem with what you suggest except you run the risk of flattening your battery and being left stranded. That can be a big deal if your in the middle of nowhere. Others will probably chime in with some more technical advice.
                NP VRX DID

Comment

• twisted32
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Aspey View Post
                  The HVT range are supposed to be fine for under the bonnet, I hope so as I have 2 of them. They also have a 3 year warranty. No problem with what you suggest except you run the risk of flattening your battery and being left stranded. That can be a big deal if your in the middle of nowhere. Others will probably chime in with some more technical advice.
                  From personal experience their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.
                  I chose the SSB AGM due to their under bonnet claim. Failed in 2.5 years and refused to warrant it.
                  Bit the bullet and trying a Nothstar this time (that hurt $). Will see how this one goes...
                  MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
                    From personal experience their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.
                    I chose the SSB AGM due to their under bonnet claim. Failed in 2.5 years and refused to warrant it.
                    Bit the bullet and trying a Nothstar this time (that hurt $). Will see how this one goes...
                    The only AGM batteries I have got a long life out of was metal jacketed Oodessey, I got 7 years of great performance out of an identical pair fitted in the cranking and aux positions in my Jackaroo and another 3-4 years of reduced performance before I changed them to Optima red and yellow tops. Yellow Top last about 3 years and the Red Yop about 5 years so disappointed with life after the Oodessey batteries.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      The only AGM batteries I have got a long life out of was metal jacketed Oodessey, I got 7 years of great performance out of an identical pair fitted in the cranking and aux positions in my Jackaroo and another 3-4 years of reduced performance before I changed them to Optima red and yellow tops. Yellow Top last about 3 years and the Red Yop about 5 years so disappointed with life after the Oodessey batteries.

OJ.
                      I had a top of the range in Odyssey battery in my Harley. Got about 15 months and it was dead. Wasn't happy as I paid top dollar. Supplier wasn't interested in my issues! Went for a SSB Lithium over 2 years ago and the battery is still fantastic. Just wish I could afford Lithium for the camper and car. Regardless of which battery you choose they can all fail. I was going to go for Optima but then after web searching reviews and forums I found too many failures from the brand! Luck of the draw. I do look after my batteries too!
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• aceisnow
                        • Dec 2015
                        • melbourne

So i guess from your advice it is a decent option just have to be wary of battery drainage. I think if i can stay on top of that with either a charger or solar its a far better option for me to do instead of a costly aux set up.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

So i guess from your advice it is a decent option just have to be wary of battery drainage. I think if i can stay on top of that with either a charger or solar its a far better option for me to do instead of a costly aux set up.

Solar can be used when camping and also at home to top up battery when your not using it...as good as a charger.
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• aceisnow
                            • Dec 2015
                            • melbourne

Thanks guys.

I still wonder why more people dont do this option.

I'm in two minds. I might be safe and go a portable battery box (kickass style or similar) as my understanding is just not as good as i would like it to be with the electrical/battery side of things.

Last thing i want to do is be caught out in the middle of no where but i have never had a Aux battery before and have been 4wding for arounf 2 years. I guess its a high priority for some and maybe should be for mine.

Unfortunately the cost to get a pro to put a spare under the bonnet and run all the work lights and cable etc to the rear is just to expensive right now.

Cheers

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Nothing wrong with a portable setup. Can be very convenient. Get a 100watt solar panel and a GOOD regulator and you should be right for 3 day long weekends!
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X