• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAS
    • Aug 2019
    • Qld

Sunshine coast challenger owners

Hi. I'm new to the forum and will do a proper introduction soon. As for right now, I would really like a suggestion for a mechanic on the sunny coast. I think there is a chance I have done a big end bearing.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Howdee .. that’s a bit of bad news (if it’s the big end bearings) first one I have heard of ... let’s hope it’s not ... how many kms on the vehicle?

Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a second hand motor ? As I see a rebuild $$$ ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• RAS
      • Aug 2019
      • Qld

So before I drove to work, I removed the aircon belt and that stopped some of the drumming knocking sounds (thought I had found the problem). But on the way home the engine got really rough and the engine also sounded louder.
      When I got home I had the wife give it a little rev and I could hear the sound was coming from the timing belt cover.
      I have read that a failed balance belt can have this effect.
      I will pull the inspection cover in the morning.
      Could driving without the aircon belt add extra pressure to the balance belt or harmonic balancer?

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi and Welcome Ras,

If the balance belt has broken then the engine will run rough but rpm will not flucuate.
        Balance belts that fail normally take out the timing belt and this is not a good situation so get the cover off and have a look. It could be a belt tensioner problem, if you are really lucky.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• RAS
          • Aug 2019
          • Qld

Fingers crossed. I aleady have a full trimming belt kit and water pump on the way. I was getting ready to do a major service in the next two weeks.
          Any come faults with the aircon compressor?

Comment

• cobra84
            • Jun 2018
            • Tasmania

Hi Ras,

I had a similar issue with my '98 challenger. Turned out to be that I had sheared the pin for the harmonic balancer. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but that ended up being a cheap fix thankfully, might be worth a check also.

Comment

• RAS
              • Aug 2019
              • Qld

Cobra84. Mate that's right where I'm looking now.
              It would be good if there was someone on the sunshine coast that wants to let me listen to their engine (trying to workout what sounds are normal for this engine).

Comment

• RAS
                • Aug 2019
                • Qld

Harmonic balancer has a very slight wobble. Can't budge it with my hands. It's $350 from the dealer and I've read a few tritons have had balancer problems so I might change it anyway.

Balance belt looked ok but I'm still not convinced (odd noise from bottom front of engine). I'll change it anyway as I already had a full gates kit ordered.

I changed the idler pulley. left the aircon disconnected and this has solved most of the noise issues but it still has a lot of vibration in the cab and the engine has a harder shutdown than normal.
                I'm wondering about engine mounts but no one else seems to have trouble with them. I've got 225k on the clock so might be time.

I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

• RAS
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Qld

Did the balance belt/timing belt and all associated parts.
                  Balance belt was one tooth off and very loose. There are no squeaks or squeals left but still hasn't fixed the extra vibration.
                  It can have a really hard shut down sometimes. So I'm checking out the engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

Comment

• zippo
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Queensland

Overland4x4 at (07) 5479 4955 | 72 Sugar Rd, Maroochydore http://www.overland4wd.com.au/should be able to help you. I haven't used them but my Challenger was built and maintained by them for the previous owner from new till I bought it.
                    White PC, MY13 LS Auto. Diesel Smart Engine Chip, Windbooster Throttle Controller, M&M Auto-Mate, Full-width Intercooler, 3 Inch Stainless Exhaust, Safari Snorkel, Tough Dog Adjustable Suspension, Rear Air Bags, Diff breathers, Heavy Duty Tow Bar, X Cross Sports Front Bar, LED Bar Light, Toyo Open Country 275/65/17 Tyres, UHF CB, GSL Trailer Brake Controller, Pro 200 catch can, EGR mod.

Comment

• zippo
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Queensland

Overland4x4 at http://www.overland4wd.com.au/should be able to help you. I haven't used them but my Challenger was built and maintained by them for the previous owner from new till I bought it.
                      (07) 5479 4955 | 72 Sugar Rd, Maroochydore
                      White PC, MY13 LS Auto. Diesel Smart Engine Chip, Windbooster Throttle Controller, M&M Auto-Mate, Full-width Intercooler, 3 Inch Stainless Exhaust, Safari Snorkel, Tough Dog Adjustable Suspension, Rear Air Bags, Diff breathers, Heavy Duty Tow Bar, X Cross Sports Front Bar, LED Bar Light, Toyo Open Country 275/65/17 Tyres, UHF CB, GSL Trailer Brake Controller, Pro 200 catch can, EGR mod.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

"....Balance belt was one tooth off and very loose....."

That's a worry.
                        What distance/time had the old belts done ?

I've seen reference to a procedure for an intermediate check of balance belt but it doesn't appear on service schedules.
                        Tensioning of the balance belt only occurs upon initial installation as the tensioner is then locked in place by its mounting bolts.
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• BMChallenger
                          • Jun 2012
                          • Sunshine Coast, QLD

if this is still an active forum. I live on the Sunshine Coast at Coolum. I have previously used Coolum Motors and would still recommend but had a couple of poor responses on another car and overcharging so have moved to Marcoola Tyre and Auto. The guys there are brilliant. Big 4wd enthusiasts and now look after my challenger and my patrol. Hope that helps
                          2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!

Comment

• itsamitsi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2015
                            • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                            "....Balance belt was one tooth off and very loose....."

That's a worry.
                            What distance/time had the old belts done ?

I've seen reference to a procedure for an intermediate check of balance belt but it doesn't appear on service schedules.
                            Tensioning of the balance belt only occurs upon initial installation as the tensioner is then locked in place by its mounting bolts.
                            I think it's a poor design only having the initial tensioning and then never again until replacement. Mine had a fair bit of slop in it @ 106K, not enough to make it jump but another 20K and I think it could. Possibly if this belt had an auto tensioner it would break far earlier than 100K as there is not much in it, a very small belt for it's intended purpose. IIRC there are some plugs in the timing cover which may line up with the adjuster for the balance belt.
                            Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Port Augusta - SA

As you say, there are apparently plugs in the timing cover to make an adjustment to the balancer belt tension (I haven't actually checked it).

A little trap that could catch you out is the sequence of tightening the tensioner's two mounting bolts.
                              The upper pivot bolt (flange head) MUST be tightened AFTER the lower socket head bolt.
                              This eliminates the tendency for tightening of the pivot bolt to move the tensioner and slacken the belt.

Edit:
                              I'm informed that the engine must be at TDC during adjustment, so the top timing cover comes off to line up the timing marks.
                              I looked at the access plugs and they are thin metal with integral spring clips that hold them in the lower timing cover (just below and to the side of the fan pulley). It's easy to prise out the plugs with your fingernail.
                              The job would be easier if the radiator fan was removed, but not essential. Serpentine belt and aircon belt can remain in place.
                              The tensioner bolt heads sit about 85mm behind the timing cover so a short extension and a 1/4 drive 10mm socket would be required.
                              The long leg of a 6mm Allen Key will reach the lower socket headed bolt, or use a short 1/4 drive extension with a 6mm hex driver bit.
                              Torque of bolts is a modest 23Nm.
                              If you lose sight of either of the access plugs when they spring out of the timing cover . . . have a look in the bottom of the radiator cowling. Don't ask how I know this.
                              Last edited by Kingbrown; 19-10-19, 10:26 AM.
                              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X