• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Morville
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2008
    • Buxton Vic

Smartbar bullbar fitted - Headlight washers

We had the Smartbar fitted to our NW Platinum today. It looks a very neat and professional job. One thing I didn't know is that the Platinum has headlight washers. The fitter rang me to tell me about the washers saying the vehicle is technically unroadworthy without them. I told him to go ahead anyway.
    I thought it was only the Exceeds with headlight washers.
    It sounds like all Platinums will be in the same boat with a bullbar unless they can overcome the washer issue.
    Peter
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

Nice one Peter. Did you get it sey up for a winch?
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• JimmyMc1980
      • Mar 2010
      • Port Hedland

that is correct with the washers, but you only legaly require them if you have hid lights. so it should not make it unroadworthy.

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
        Nice one Peter. Did you get it sey up for a winch?
        No, I didn't get a winch compatible bar

Originally posted by JimmyMc1980 View Post
        that is correct with the washers, but you only legaly require them if you have hid lights. so it should not make it unroadworthy.
        Thanks for the info.

Someone asked recently for some pics, will do it soon.
        Peter

Comment

• Smokeydk
          • Feb 2012
          • South Australia

When I had my SmartBar fitted to my NP......they had to remove and replace the windscreen washer bottle with a smaller one......it was a hard job finding a new spot for it...I'm sure the later models would be worse

Dave
          2005 NP Pajero - Turbo Diesel DiD Auto- SmartBar, Rhino Roof Racks, full length Cargo barrier, ARB Awning, Bridgestone D697s tyres, ARB SideSteps
          Old Man Emu Coils & Nitrocharger sport shockers 40mm lift from ARB, PP Weather-shields front windows, custom built 3" exhaust system

Comment

• JanP
            • Nov 2007

Hi Dave

I also recently fitted a Smartbar to my NP Exceed.
            I assume they supplied you with a washer bottle.
            I used a short piece of steel bar, bent it at a right angle and bolted it to a convenient hole next to the radiator in front of the air cleaner. I then bolted the washer bottle holder to that.
            It meant that I could push the washer tube on the washer bottle and also use the power lead without any extensions.
            I hope this is of some help.
            Jan.

Comment

• Dion
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Brisbane

My understanding was that washers are only needed legally if there are glass lenses. The Pajero does not have glass lenses.
              2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Traveller43
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Dion View Post
                My understanding was that washers are only needed legally if there are glass lenses. The Pajero does not have glass lenses.
                The washers are necessary only if you have HID headlights. The light from HIDs is susceptible to diffusing when the headlight lens cover gets dirty. If you were to have an accident at night and the insurance company found that the washers were removed then they or the road authorities could make life difficult.

I had a Smartbar installed on my NT and was able to have the washers extended by flexible hose and screwed to the Smartbar so they still work.

It was easy to do and looks very neat.
                Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Dion
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2010
                  • Brisbane

I went back and had a proper read. Note: My Pajero doesn't have HID lights.

Australian Design Rule 13/00 :

6.2.9: Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s)
                  producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective
                  luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in
                  conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. 9/

Note 9 says:

9/
                  Contracting Parties to the respective Regulations can still prohibit the use of mechanical cleaning
                  systems when headlamps with plastic lenses, marked "PL", are installed.

I think I misread the statement about cleaning. Mechanical cleaning could be taken to mean the old style wipers, rather than any type of cleaning. So that may be a misinterpretation by me.

However, the fact remains that it only applies for beam > 2000 lumens. I wonder how bright the HID system in the Pajero actually is? There are quite a few cars out there with HID/Xenon lights and no washers.

Note that levelling is still required regardless.

2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Macster
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Melbourne

Pictures!!!! Please.

Comment

• markpeh
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Lake Clarendon QLD

If what I have been driving thru is anything to go by, headlight washers will be of little use anyway...
                      NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• twoar
                        • Feb 2012
                        • rowville, vic

Auto levelling is a requirement of the ADR's . Would be sure that the standard pajero hids would be over 2000 lumens , most of the ones online from light2light are around the 3000- 7000 lumens. With 35-70w lamps.

If you can downgrade to meet the standards go for a higher colour temp lamp. At least 6000k plus. Least then it will appear brighter.

Comment

• Smokeydk
                          • Feb 2012
                          • South Australia

Yes Jan.......a bottle was supplied........they put the bottle on the back of firewall right hand side where a duel battery would go....I origionally told them not to.....like you they finally made up a bracket to slide the bottle on to and fitted it left of the radiator above the headlight..........when I got home......there was water running everywhere........the bracket they made....had a sharp edge when it was pushed over the moulded plastic of the bottle......it sliced into it..........I had to get a new bottle and file the bracket smooth

Dave
                          2005 NP Pajero - Turbo Diesel DiD Auto- SmartBar, Rhino Roof Racks, full length Cargo barrier, ARB Awning, Bridgestone D697s tyres, ARB SideSteps
                          Old Man Emu Coils & Nitrocharger sport shockers 40mm lift from ARB, PP Weather-shields front windows, custom built 3" exhaust system

Comment

• Dion
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2010
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by twoar View Post
                            Auto levelling is a requirement of the ADR's . Would be sure that the standard pajero hids would be over 2000 lumens , most of the ones online from light2light are around the 3000- 7000 lumens. With 35-70w lamps.

If you can downgrade to meet the standards go for a higher colour temp lamp. At least 6000k plus. Least then it will appear brighter.
                            We're talking low beam lights, not high beam, remember.

2000 lumens is quite a bit of light.

Comment

• twoar
                              • Feb 2012
                              • rowville, vic

Originally posted by Dion View Post
                              We're talking low beam lights, not high beam, remember.

2000 lumens is quite a bit of light.
                              2000 lumens is a lot of light just shy of a cheap 1x25w Fluoro t5 lamp

But again projecting 2000 lumens to the ground 30 metres in front of you is a lot different.

To clarify was directed to those who have hids and have installed a front bar, and the lens washers are removed and not re-installed. You can look at downgrading your hids to suit the ADRs less than 2000 lumens.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X