• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharky
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Kilmore

Originally posted by Avanner View Post

The pumps in fuel bowsers and their crude flow meters are most accurate at full flow rates, at a slow rate they will measure unfairly to the customer.

Roy
    I worked in the industry (Fuel Deliveries) for a while and did'nt know that. Thanks for the tip
    ----------------------------
    'Steve'
    2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• puppy
      • Jul 2011
      • NSW

Originally posted by goldnugget View Post

So, in effect, if we ran some radiator/heater hoses through the fuel tank or on the fuel return line, we should be able to go further on a tank because the volume of petrol would expand...but how does (or does it?) affect the octane rating in various temps?
      I know ...its late.....goodnight
      i wonder if mister bishy will have waved his wand and done some magic to get the fuel temp where he wants it prior to injection. might just be acheived by those fuel rails sitting close to the engine between the injectors.

its interesting tho because 70 litres in the tank will not always be the same amount of petrol so how does this affect fuel economy figures. perhaps fuel economy should be quoted as 'miles per pound' or for this more modern era 'kilometres per kilogram' or 'kilograms per 100 kilometres'.

Comment

• Paddymac
        • Apr 2012
        • Cairns

Fuel tanks were normally only buried 600mm below ground level. Up here in North Queensland the fuel definitely heats up during the day, definitely need to buy your fuel early in the day

Comment

• Rendrag
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Central Coast, NSW

Originally posted by Avanner View Post
          The pumps in fuel bowsers and their crude flow meters are most accurate at full flow rates, at a slow rate they will measure unfairly to the customer.
          Really? Hrrm! That might explain why you rock up to a fuel pump which says 'Flow Rate: 5-15L/minute'.. And then spend fifteen minutes with the trigger on the pump pulled all the way in, to put 90L into the car.. Always wondered why the smeg they would wind the thing down to it's lowest flow rate! Maybe they know of this inaccuracy, and are taking advantage of it?
          VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
          Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
          '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
          '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• colcam
            • May 2009
            • Maryborough, QLD

Coincidentally there's a bloke in America working for a fuel company and he delivers the exact amount as in Melbourne.

"...Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel..."

The following sites have done some research albeit from media sources

Four refueling tips supposedly help consumers get the most from their gasoline dollars, but how useful are they?
            96 NM 3.2 DiD, 2" lift, King springs, OME Nitrocharger Sports, Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ, 40L Engel, Custom drawers, pirahna 180 dual bty system, GME TZ 3340 UHF, Rhino Rack, Fox Wing with LED's, Narva Ultima 225 spotties, laptop with Ozi Explorer, chequer plate bash plates.
            To Do: Heavy Duty side steps/sliders, winch, chip, 3" exhaust...

Comment

• captain_paj
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2012
              • Logan QLD

Originally posted by colcam View Post
              Coincidentally there's a bloke in America working for a fuel company and he delivers the exact amount as in Melbourne.

"...Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel..."

The following sites have done some research albeit from media sources

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
              Wow. So it's not just Microsoft and AOL and cancer spam, there's petrol spam too!
              1994 NJ GLS Auto, 3.0 LPG, 31s, HD springs, 50mm body lift, Firestone rear air bags

1993 NH GLS Manual, 3.0 LPG, 31s, Iron Man Torsion and Coils, Lovells Shocks, 30mm body lift, Manual Hubs, Extractors and god awful droning 2.5" exhaust

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by puppy View Post
                i wonder if mister bishy will have waved his wand and done some magic to get the fuel temp where he wants it prior to injection. might just be acheived by those fuel rails sitting close to the engine between the injectors.
                In both diesel and petrol Pajeros (and most other makes) excess fuel is returned from the injector pump / fuel rails to the tank and will eventually heat the tank up quite noticeably. In Diesels the excess fuel circulation is used to cool the pump and the excess flow is several liters per minute.

Pat
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• wrexy
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Bakers Hill, WA

So if you are pumping diesel one day avgas the next where does the flushing fuel go. Mixed in I suppose and so diluted it does not matter ? Hi octane (cetane) diesel !!
                  MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
                  Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
                  http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by wrexy View Post
                    So if you are pumping diesel one day avgas the next where does the flushing fuel go. Mixed in I suppose and so diluted it does not matter ? Hi octane (cetane) diesel !!
                    Just goes to show that the email is spam, as there's never just one pipe in fuel-pipelines systems & all the different products are piped separately in separate pipes! What governs what is pumped, is simply 'supply-demand' & capacity to store it at either end! (Notice the typo where someone failed to correctly convert all the 'gasoline' references to 'petrol'!)
                    The links to the other About webpages are interesting to read;

One point they refer to is the issue of filling up at the servo just after the tanker has refilled it not causing problems but I experienced bad fuel this way (stalling towards the end of an off-road trip 20+yrs ago), plus my latest purchase of a J-top wouldn't have been if it wasn't for some bad diesel!
                    Lately I've noticed that many older servo-tanks are being dug-up to be replaced (or the servo closed-down), with polymer-lined tanks that won't corrode/contaminate fuel. As they've made late model vehicles more fuel-efficient, they've also become less tolerant of poor-quality fuel.

Steve
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• MSF
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

The fact that the initial blurb mentions "petroline" in the text just screams "find/replace" Gas for Petrol. So it was originally written for idiots in the USA who are suckers for this stuff...

Of course it's 99% bull$hit, why do people believe everything they read without question ??

Comment

• schnitzel
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Bendigo

Originally posted by wrexy View Post
                        never seen flushing fluid used on a tanker and I've just spent seven years running tankers.
                        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X