Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Poll for Central Australia travellers... Winch: Take it or leave it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Poll for Central Australia travellers... Winch: Take it or leave it.

G'day everyone,

In my last poll I put it up to the many experienced forumites to vote on whether to take 1 or 2 spares on my trip, which as per previous poll is: "Doing 7,000km from Sydney, Longreach, Plenty Hwy, Uluru / Palm Valley / Kings Canyon, Chambers Pillar, Finke, Mt Dare, Oodnadatta, Marree, Flinders, Adelaide then home. Leaving in 4 weeks." Thanks to everyone who voted and I've now settled on 1 spare tyre plus tyre repair kit. Travelling with 1 other vehicle.

Departure day is fast approaching. Leaving in 5 days.

I've had my Warn Tabor winch out for cleaning, derusting, new parts and now reassembled with synthetic rope as opposed to steel cable. I've been doing it more for enjoyment than in readiness for my trip.

I have the dilemma of deciding whether it's worth carting 20+ kilos of winch around for this kind of trip. My gut feeling is that for the locations we're travelling, a winch is not likely to be required particularly if it's dry and is only extra weight on the bullbar (therefore increased wear and tear) over potentially many miles of corrugations.

So again, I'm leaving it to the combined wisdom of the forum. If you've travelled in these locations please chip in... If you had the option (i.e. your winch was already out BUT it would only take you 20mins or so to put back in), would you take it or leave it? I've just cable tied up all the loose cables behind the bullbar and of course disconnected it at the battery.. there's a hole where the fairlead would go.. I can whack the alloy fairlead on or leave it open for better airflow.
    Take it
    50.00%
    Leave it
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

• nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I agree that there is little chance you will find yourself in a situation needing a winch on the trip you describe, but I voted take it - for two reasons.

1. It's like insurance - you'll only need it when you don't have it.
    2. How will your front suspension perform without all that weight hanging out in front of the front axle?

If you're comfortable that you have sufficient other means of self recovery (e.g. Maxtrax) and your suspension won't be too high / too stiff without that extra weight, leave it at home.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Highly unlikely that you will need it but since you got it and have spent the time and money on the refurbish, and your intending is to refit it at sometime, I would just refit it

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

I voted no - given the choice, I would feel much more comfortable with the 2nd spare rather than the winch on a trip to those areas. As you have another vehicle to assist with a snatch if needed (Maxtracks would be far more useful & perhaps not that many strong trees to winch off in some of those areas?), but millions of very sharp stones & rocks just waiting for an unlucky tyre (or two - no tyre is bullet proof & a failure often means a detour or gamble to keep going with no spare). Is the other vehicle using the same wheels & tyres? If so, you can share spares, reducing the need for 2nd spare (but test fit to make sure unless it is similar to your car.

Have a great trip!
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

I have just completed a NT/SA outback trip (will report once I have cleaned the vehicles ) taking in quite a bit of what you intend to do. Very, very unlikely you will need to use a winch and even less likely there will be a suitable winch point available (except for another vehicle). At both Old Andado and at Dalhousie we heard reports of several vehicles (towing) who got bogged in long and deep stretches of bulldust holes north of Mt Dare on the Binns Track but were retrieved by light snatch and/or maxtrax. What we DID see was a LOT of punctured tyres and in fact one of my group punctured a camper tyre outside of William Creek on the OT. So in addition to a good spare and a repair kit it would be an idea to have tyre pressure monitor so that you catch a puncture early. My friend caught his when the pressure had dropped to 20 psi and was able to do a controlled stop with little damage to the tyre. The rocky tracks will quickly shred a tyre so you want to get onto it as soon as possible. I'm with spot01, I reckon if you have room a second spare is better use of weight on such a trip than a winch, because if you rip a sidewall, it won't be repairable and then you are totally dependent on your last good tyre.

Have great trip (be prepared for strong, dust-laden winds, much of the country is as dry as chips).
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
            I have just completed a NT/SA outback trip (will report once I have cleaned the vehicles ) taking in quite a bit of what you intend to do. Very, very unlikely you will need to use a winch and even less likely there will be a suitable winch point available (except for another vehicle). At both Old Andado and at Dalhousie we heard reports of several vehicles (towing) who got bogged in long and deep stretches of bulldust holes north of Mt Dare on the Binns Track but were retrieved by light snatch and/or maxtrax. What we DID see was a LOT of punctured tyres and in fact one of my group punctured a camper tyre outside of William Creek on the OT. So in addition to a good spare and a repair kit it would be an idea to have tyre pressure monitor so that you catch a puncture early. My friend caught his when the pressure had dropped to 20 psi and was able to do a controlled stop with little damage to the tyre. The rocky tracks will quickly shred a tyre so you want to get onto it as soon as possible. I'm with spot01, I reckon if you have room a second spare is better use of weight on such a trip than a winch, because if you rip a sidewall, it won't be repairable and then you are totally dependent on your last good tyre.

Have great trip (be prepared for strong, dust-laden winds, much of the country is as dry as chips).
            Sounds like a spare air filter & regular "tap outs" would be prudent (never use compressed air or wash these)
            If the cabin a/c starts to struggle, "tap out" the cabin filter also. Some have suggested the cabin filter can be washed (I kept the one they removed at last service but haven't tried this yet as it wasn't very dirty)

PS - I agree with running a TPMS, as I have used one for many years & if it saves only one tyre it has paid it's way, not to mention the safety & inconvenience. I also carry a can of tyre seal in case I need to fix a leak when I don't have the time (or desire in poor conditions) to change a tyre (but don't put the sensor back on with goo in the tyre).
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Only places I,ve really had to use a winch have been beaches, mud and tree removal. My work vehicles all had winches fitted for outback recovery, if needed. Did many k,s in central Oz country and on many tracks people wont get a permit to travel. Never needed the winch ...and I know other blokes who also never used their winch in this type of country. Leave the winch and take a second tyre carcass. Even though I always had 2 spares it was rare to get a flat or buggered tyre. 20kg of tyre is better than 20kg of winch in the areas you intend to travel. Good luck and enjoy the trip. Once you get into it you will find that it hey are not really difficult roads to travel.

ITS ALL ABOUT TYRE PRESSURE AND SPEEDS TO MATCH THE ROADS/TRACKS.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Thank you for all your excellent responses as usual. I am leaning towards leaving it, in line with current voting of 6 to 5 (leaving to taking), and now I'm considering taking a second tyre carcass haha. 4 days til departure, will update accordingly. Many thanks for all your well wishes on the trip, can't wait and hopefully not too dusty. Taking a spare air filter just in case, since I still have a bit of room for such things and it ain't heavy.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                  Thank you for all your excellent responses as usual. I am leaning towards leaving it, in line with current voting of 6 to 5 (leaving to taking), and now I'm considering taking a second tyre carcass haha. 4 days til departure, will update accordingly. Many thanks for all your well wishes on the trip, can't wait and hopefully not too dusty. Taking a spare air filter just in case, since I still have a bit of room for such things and it ain't heavy.

Half the fun is the planning....upon returning home you often have to laugh at some of the decisions you made....cheers.
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Andythiing
                    • May 2019
                    • Adelaide Hills

Let us know when Murphy’s law kicks in 👍
                    SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                    2 inch lift
                    ARB bar and snorkel
                    Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• MSF
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Winches..
                      my take is you either praise the day you bought (or 'brought' in your case) it, or curse the day you didn't.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

I am assuming this poll is only for taking a winch as a necessity for travel in Australias inland arid areas where the OP is intending to travel.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                          I am assuming this poll is only for taking a winch as a necessity for travel in Australias inland arid areas where the OP is intending to travel.

Indeed it is. Or it was, at least.

Made a roof rack for the Maxtrax tonight near the rear of the camper trailer, it can stay on when flipping it over. 30mm x 15mm tube with the genuine Maxtrax mounting pins but chopped 10mm off each. The rack is nice and solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• DaKaptin
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Brisbane, Qld

I vote leave the winch at home because you with another car.

My tip is also take a second tyre carcass and at least tools sufficient to change it on to a rim. If its not you, it might be your mate that needs the tyre.
                            2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• benckj
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2017
                              • Alexandra , New Zealand

Everytime I used a winch when on a trip was to pull someone else out of a sticky situation. Like said above its nice insurance to have but another tyre is more practical. Fully endorse a TPMS system as I use on all my cars.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X