View Single Post
Old 12-01-12
Valued Member

Nah, not bias.

4wd of the year is for new releases / significant updates. Paj is long in the tooth and i'm suprised the NW qualified the Paj as a new release / significant update; seems to me it is only a tart up of the NT.

The Paj would always struggle against new models (Jeep) or significant updates of older patforms (Prado 120 to 150, Disco 3 to Disco 4).

OL has always scored the Paj at top or close to top in its Best 4wd review - annual assessment of what's on the market which allows for bang for buck value to account for some of the issues with the dated design, like lower NVH level's compared to newer designs.

That said, it always seems to me that Toyo gets good wraps from the press regardless of the product - in some case warranted, others not (ie. full size wagon - LC 200 over Patrol anyday; medium wagon - Prado, Disco 4, Pajero, Pathfinder, Challenger, Grand Cherokee...pros and cons for all; utes - Hilux, Triton, Ranger/ Bt50, Navara, Amarok, Colarado/IMax...again, pros and cons for all, Hilux definatley falling behind Ranger/ Bt50 and Amarok, Triton still the only one with super-select constant 4wd which for mine is a big plus rarely acknowledged; workhorse wagons / utes / troop carriers - Defender, LC 70 series, Patrol, Wragler - all have pluses and minuses but woodies all round for the LC 70s).
Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!