View Single Post
Old 30-01-11
Valued Member

Ahhh, sorry, it didn't occur to me that your seats are laid out differently in the NS, than they are in the NJ! - We have a solid centre row seat, and then two fold-down rear seats, so we try to fill the centre row first

I guess talk to your local child-restraint place, they'll know what you can and can't do..

When I got the NJ, and discovered the factory restraints are above the rear door (so you can't USE the third row seats if you have restraints in the centre row! Plus you need stupidly long straps!), I headed straight down to our local bloke to get his thoughts.. Well, more to check that my thoughts were ok - I probably have a bit more leeway than you, since the NJ came out before the 'new' restraint ADR came in, so it's not a case of 'use any extra possible locations shown in the manual, or get it engineered', it's just 'make sure mounting angles conform to the ADR'..

Given our commodore wagons have the anchor points *ON* the back of the seats, he said that gave precedent for putting new anchor points in, which are simply mounted to the main rear rail of the centre row seat. (Though he usually fabricated a rail which bolted to the floor behind the seat, and mounted them to that, as it's a MAJOR hassle to get the seat apart to the point that you can get a socket into the back of the seat rail..) It meant getting some BLOODY long hardened steel bolts, as that rail is 3" deep, but hooking restraints in now is much easier! And it means one less thing you have to un-hook if you need to slide the centre row forward!

And then (the easy one!), two holes drilled in the floor (carefully for the drivers side, as the tank is 2" below the floor there ) behind the rear seats, and two anchor points put in there (using the large washers they come with on either side of the floor).

But yeah, our local fitting station was *really* helpful - When he initially thought it was newer than it is, he was going on about having to bring it back on the day of the week he has an engineer in for the morning to approve stuff, etc, and he'd need to do all the work, etc.. But once he found out it was an early 1994 model, he didn't seem to care that he wasn't going to get any work out of it because I was wanted to do it myself, he just grabbed a copy of the ADR and ran me through how things should to be mounted etc etc..

So yeah, I guess unless someone on here pipes up and has already gone through it, you'll probably need to find your local fitting station and see what they say?

Cheers,

Damien
'84 BMW K100RT Starship