• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bladesy
    • Feb 2019
    • Norah head

Replacing oils. And a question about fuel tanks

What type of oil is required for the gearbox and diffs in a 2000 model NL. Also I have an extra fuel tank with a second filler. Anyone know if these have a pump in themto get back to the main tank or does it siphon.
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Auto or manual? Is it limited slip rear diff? (Sticker on diff if you're not sure)

If you have the vehicle/glovebox manual the oils are listed there. I can list them depending on the questions above though
    Last edited by disco stu; 15-09-19, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

One way to check is search for the below link. You can change the Nulon to any brand, Castrol, Penrite etc etc. Once in it you search for your vehicle then it'll give what oil specs etc are recommended.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Bladesy
        • Feb 2019
        • Norah head

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
        Auto or manual? Is it limited slip rear diff? (Sticker on diff if you're not sure)

If you have the vehicle/glovebox manual the oils are listed there. I can list them depending on the questions above though
        Has lsd on the fill plug. It’s a manual. Sadly don’t have the manual

Comment

• Turorit
          • Oct 2016
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Bladesy View Post
          Also I have an extra fuel tank with a second filler. Anyone know if these have a pump in themto get back to the main tank or does it siphon.
          The second tank is under the rear passenger side & will have a pump to transfer back into the main tank. The pump could be internal or external.
          Below the fuel filler in the wheel arch, you can unbolt the inner arch flare to see how all the hoses are connected, perhaps post some photos here of the filler & tanks if you're not sure.

Cheers
          2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
          --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

For my 99 Escape, manual.

Castrol LSX 90 in both diffs.

I’ll have to confirm it but pretty sure I used Nulon Smooth Shift 75w-85, full synthetic GL-4 for the gearbox and transfer.
            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Yes, gl4 for gearbox and transfer case, gl5 for front diff, or whatever you used in rear diff or gearbox. Front diff doesn't sound fussy

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

To add to this topic-gearbox oil. I gather castrol made the VMX-M for the mitsubishi boxes, but how important is it to use that particular oil?

If you go by the other specs I thought any old GL4 would suit.

Reason I ask is that supercheap has the VMX (not VMX-M) on clearance for $24/4L which is about half the price of VMX-M at the moment

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Been doing some research-it looks like the VMX-M is designed to overcome hard shifting in the mits boxes, particularly between 1st and 2nd when cold. The VMX doesn't have this additive, so could lead to hard shifting.

I'm then reading about Nulon G70 additive also helping with this issue, and it seems some even add it to the VMX-M oil. I'm not sure if adding this to standard gear oil turns it into the equivalent of VMX-M though

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

Oh, G70. Forgot about that.
                    Goes in my gearbox and transfer case too.
                    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

I gather the VMX-M is not needed in transfer case. I'm tempted to just pick up some of the cheaper VMX for that and maybe front diff. Be nice to know if the G70 changes it into what I need

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X