X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smccask
    • May 2008
    • Perth

If anyone has an NS transfer out of a car, it'd be super useful if i can get some good pics of it! I'd need some side-on views of where it connects to the gbox and also some front-on shots. Also would be good to get a count of number of teeth in spline plus major and minor diameter of the shaft input.
    - Simon
    NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
    RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion

Comment

• smccask
      • May 2008
      • Perth

Found this... http://mmc-autoelectric.org.ua/manua...0005400ENG.HTM

I've ordered a CAN adaptor so i can start to reverse engineer the mitsi comms. Hopefully i can restore the ASC and TC and also the factory dash functions
      - Simon

Comment

• NMPajboy
        • Oct 2016
        • QLD

Will definitely be watching this with great interest Simon. Was hoping to see the NS transfer case used and keeping the superselect system but either way can't wait to see how it all fits.
        Whats your opinions on just doing a bell housing swap onto the paj transmission? I've seen it done with BMW v8s and straight 6's in Europe this way? Or would an LS kill it too quick? Even if you had to spend money getting the tranny rebuilt HD to cope, it might be worth it to keep all the shifters and mounts and shafts stock. Then either trick stock oem driveline ecu with tach signal and tps from LS or use an aftermarket transmission controller.

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

Given the amount of gen 4 transfer cases that get destroyed with a dirty diesel I can’t imagine one lasting well with a LS driven with any sympathy....

Looks like a fun project!
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• smccask
            • May 2008
            • Perth

Its possible, but both cars run a PCM covering engine and gbox so i think they are inextricably linked. Using the manual paj box might be a good option instead.
            - Simon

Comment

• smccask
              • May 2008
              • Perth

Originally posted by smccask View Post
              Its possible, but both cars run a PCM covering engine and gbox so i think they are inextricably linked. Using the manual paj box might be a good option instead.
              What breaks on them?
              - Simon

Comment

• smccask
                • May 2008
                • Perth

Got the paj in the shed today and with help.from a couple of mates we pulled the transfer off to see what's between that and gbox...and have a general look around underneath. Crazy luck... the NS transfer has the same input spline as the NH auto transfer! So I'll be able to use the NS transfer and mate up the LS1 and 4L60e. Nice! Also generally lots of room under there compared to NH..no chassis rails helps!
                Pics of transfer face here, template for adaptor plate and paj in surgery.
                Paj going in tomorrow for new airbags and indicator controls recalls
                Attached Files
                - Simon

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

Got the paj in the shed today and with help.from a couple of mates we pulled the transfer off to see what's between that and gbox...and have a general look around underneath. Crazy luck... the NS transfer has the same input spline as the NH auto transfer! So I'll be able to use the NS transfer and mate up the LS1 and 4L60e. Nice! Also generally lots of room under there compared to NH..no chassis rails helps!
                  Pics of transfer face here, template for adaptor plate and paj in surgery.
                  Paj going in tomorrow for new airbags and indicator controls recalls
                  Simon, you may be better off sticking with the NH transfer case, there are some examples on this forum of Gen 4 transfer cases failing.
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                    Simon, you may be better off sticking with the NH transfer case, there are some examples on this forum of Gen 4 transfer cases failing.
                    What are the differences between Gen 2, 3, 4 transfer cases though?

From my limited research, mainly around Gen 2.5 manual transfer cases and Gen 3 manual cases I was left with the impression the only differences were electronic activation of the transfer case in place of mechanical linkages.

I have assumed the failures in the Gen 4 transfer cases are more due to the huge increase in torque from the CRD engine compared to the older super select cases, and more spirited driving.

I will have to have another look under my NX and NJ to compare external differences. I have assumed they are identical enough that the lower low range gears available for the Gen 2 and 3 manual transfer cases will fit in the Gen 4.
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX
                    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2000
                      • Tasmania

Not sure what the differences are but you could be right in that is is a torque problem given that the NT diesel was upgraded to 440nm. However AFAIK Simon has never had a problem either with the NH auto case that he is using behind the LS motor, so who knows?

Comment

• smccask
                        • May 2008
                        • Perth

Designed the adaptor plate last night base don the measurements we did on Sunday. I reckon it'll work out pretty sweet made from 40mm ali plate. The front half with 6 bolt pattern is from Advance Adaptors (part of 50-0430 kit) and then the rear half with the crazy bolt pattern is the part that needs to be made. It should result in the bell-housing face and transfer in the original Pajero position.
                        Attached Files
                        - Simon

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

Simon, another blown Gen 4 transfer case , might be better to stick with the one you have , at least its proven!.

Comment

• smccask
                            • May 2008
                            • Perth

Hrmmm, damn hey!? I'm still leaning towards kerping the ns transfer... mainly for the vehicle speed sensor, no driveshaft mods, no console or electrics mods. I guess I'll store the nh one somewhere as a fallback plan.
                            - Simon

Comment

• smccask
                              • May 2008
                              • Perth

Spoke to the engineer (Terry Southam) Jake and i used for our NH and NL conversions today. We spoke through the details and he reckons no real dramas. Won't matter that the engine predates the car over those years as they have the same emissions tech and requirements. Will need to sort out the ASC tho, which could be a challenge.
                              - Simon

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2000
                                • Tasmania

Spoke to the engineer (Terry Southam) Jake and i used for our NH and NL conversions today. We spoke through the details and he reckons no real dramas. Won't matter that the engine predates the car over those years as they have the same emissions tech and requirements. Will need to sort out the ASC tho, which could be a challenge.
                                I'm sure you are up to it mate! That was good news to hear

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X