• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Add me to the list of slow learners, err, warmers...
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Ben470
      • Sep 2018
      • Perth, Western Australia

Just to give you my 5 cents worth, my 2007 NS DiD takes 15 minutes to warm up on a cold day, 10 minutes at absolute best, replaced thermostat with Daycos DT57e (there were several options apparently this is the right one?) And same deal, no changes.
      Only noteworthy item is that radiator fan runs constantly from start up?
      Cheers,

Comment

• Moci
        • Sep 2014
        • Balkan, Europe

Originally posted by Ben470 View Post
        Just to give you my 5 cents worth, my 2007 NS DiD takes 15 minutes to warm up on a cold day, 10 minutes at absolute best, replaced thermostat with Daycos DT57e (there were several options apparently this is the right one?) And same deal, no changes.
        Only noteworthy item is that radiator fan runs constantly from start up?
        Cheers,

I wanted to try with new thermostat but now I see that all 3.2 DiD are so hard to warm up, so perhaps it's normal.
        My radiator fan also runs constantly, and in winter I put board (cover) in front of radiator for winter driving but I got the same result.
        In the city in winter it's very hard to warm up, but on the open road results are better.

Cheers
        NP Pajero 3.2DiD auto GLS Exceed 2004 LWB Gold metallic color, 275/50 R20 MAK wheels ET20 polished, 2" Lift kit, EGR blanked off, Chip, Leather electric seats, Xenon lights, LED/Angel eyes projector headlights, Led daytime lights in bumper, Led roof lights, Led tail lights, Full led interior, Led dash, Color factory display, Chrome bullbar, Dual battery, Rear spoiler with lip, Tinted windows, Kenwood sound system, TeamHeko wind deflectors, 2din DVD player with reverse camera and GPS navigation

Comment

• basil
          • Apr 2012
          • Gembrook

When the mornings are freezing cold in early spring, I too am in the 10 minute bracket to warm up, in fact even when the temp gauge starts to move, if I then go down long decents with little or no throttle, it will actually drop a bit until I put the boot into it again. This is normal for me year in year out.
          There is a certain temp that once it is below that with moist air in the mix, it struggles to get up to temp until medium throttle is used.
          If I go another way to work were I have to use lots of throttle straight away, then it gets up to temp quickly. I live in the hills by the way which probably magnifies this affect a bit.

Cheers,

Comment

• Ben470
            • Sep 2018

Yeah right, well after hunting around for the right thermostat (this was not easy for the 2007 NS, no auto shop could tell me the correct product to use) I ended up buying Dayco's DT57e (stamped to open at 77 degrees C). Happy (...and sad) to report that the engine warms up still in around 10-12 minutes when nursing it up to temp.

You can go for several brands and options for thermostats in the NS, can anyone confirm for me that the DT57e is actually a valid product for the 2007 NS DiD Pajero?

Another thing that has me confused is the difference between the 4m41-u and 4m41-T. I can't for the life of me work out which motor I have - I know that's stupid, but it doesn't seem to be written anywhere on the manual, service book, engine bay or engine itself.

Just a hint, if pulling out the thermostat on these cars (unlike many other cars) you won'ty just loose a trickly of coolant, you'll drop at least 50% so would recommend having loads of spare coolant on hand. I'm using Penrite's 7-year long life green and flushing it soon.

Ben

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

I remember reading somewhere some time ago the T is the 125kms output engine say in the NS and the U is the engine with 147kws as in the NT and onwards. In short its the same motor just different turbo.

It was some time ago and I'll be happy to be corrected
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ben470
                • Sep 2018

Yeah right, okay... I keep hearing about the NS being a 4m41T so I'm going with the Dayco DT57e. Fingers crossed.
                Cheers,

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

That is the correct thermostat bud. The tech manual stats thermostat valve opening temperature is 76.5 +-2 so all good.

Just my thoughts for everyone. My NS takes around 10 to 12 minutes of normal driving for the temp gauge to show at normal temp. Warm air starts to come from the vents probably within a few mins. I think this is quite normal for a vehicle nowadays and am not concerned at all.

As others have said it takes time for the enginge to warm up and then show on the guage. Remember the temp gauge is showing the temp of coolant not the enginge itself. Takes a bit of time for the metal and oils to warm up and then the coolant to do its thing and remove the heat from around the block and all the passages etc.

Every vehicle I've had over 35 years is about the same in terms of warm up time.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ben470
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                    That is the correct thermostat bud. The tech manual stats thermostat valve opening temperature is 76.5 +-2 so all good.

Just my thoughts for everyone. My NS takes around 10 to 12 minutes of normal driving for the temp gauge to show at normal temp. Warm air starts to come from the vents probably within a few mins. I think this is quite normal for a vehicle nowadays and am not concerned at all.

As others have said it takes time for the enginge to warm up and then show on the guage. Remember the temp gauge is showing the temp of coolant not the enginge itself. Takes a bit of time for the metal and oils to warm up and then the coolant to do its thing and remove the heat from around the block and all the passages etc.

Every vehicle I've had over 35 years is about the same in terms of warm up time.
                    Ayee, someone who knows four technicians and a mechanic
                    Could not give me that answer. Wrapped.
                    Sadly as an update the torque wrench was faulty and ended up snapping a bolt in the thermostat housing so again I'm in the sticky.
                    Thanks for the above, a good point about the coolant. I feel silly not thinking about that myself.
                    Cheers,
                    Ben

Comment

• El_Freddo
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                      I'm not sure what the connection is with the engine being turbo charged and taking longer to warm up.... In my opinion it's irrelevant.

The reason the diesel takes longer to warm up than an equivalent petrol engine is because the diesel block is one big lump of metal you're trying to heat up - hence it takes longer.
                      Also the fact that diesel is more efficient in putting power into motion rather than heat when compared to that of petrol. I can’t remember exact figures, but I think petrol is something like 23% efficient and diesel 70% or there abouts. The rest is lost in heat. Basically this means a petrol engine will always warm up quicker than a diesel engine in the same conditions.

Cheers

Bennie
                      2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• haz77
                        • May 2013
                        • nz

You cant compare petrol & diesel warm up times,,,

My Paj Diesel also takes a good 10mins to get warm, my Toyota Hilux diesel is getting warm before I reach the end of the drive!

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

A lot depends on the ambient temperature at the time of startup. I live in a cold climate and in winter, it takes at least 20 km of driving at highway speed before the Scangauge tells me the cooling water temperature has reached 86 Deg C. Last week I was in Queensland and it was HOT - over 30 Deg C before we left our caravan, but it only took about 4 km before the temp reached 86 Deg C.

Comment

• Kingmarz
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2016
                            • South Island New Zealand

I’ve just upgraded to a NM Pajero 4m41 from a Challenger 4m40 and can honestly say the 4m41 takes about 5-10 longer to worm up and my 4m40 is just the same as any other car which makes me wonder why as they’re apparently the same block? Bigger water passages in 4m41 head to prevent previous generation head cracking issues? Better thermal efficiency with DID?
                            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X