• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaz1
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Blue Mountains NSW

changing brake fluid

Are there any special issues/tricks involved with replacing the brake fluid in an NM that has ABS?

My thinking would be to follow a normal bleeding procedure for each wheel, without allowing air to enter via too low a level in the master reservoir. Get the old fluid as low as safely possible in the reservoir on one wheel before putting any new stuff in, then work around the wheels until new fluid is coming out of the bleeder.

Gaz
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
  • jace
    • Jan 2009
    • Caroline Springs

I had to replace my fluid a few months ago for my roadworthy.

All pretty straight forward really the bleeders are easy to access etc.

One idea is to empty the master cylinder with a big syringe and fill it up with the new fluid before you do any bleeding. That way you spend less time on the floor and there is less chance of getting air in the system. It also helps to keep the old fluid from contaminating the new stuff in the master cylinder.

As soon as the fluid coming out of the bleeder on each wheel changes colour you are done.

I don?t have an ABS system so can?t help you there but can?t see how it would make a difference.
    (1) 2009 NT VRX, 2' lift & Polyair bags, Intervolt Duel Battery, ARB Bullbar & Spotties, Safari Snorkel, Long Range Tank, Rear Diff Lock, Bushskinz Int/Sump Plates & Side Steps, Redark Break Controller, Killa roof rack

(2) 2010 NT Exceed, Redarc Brake Controller, Goodyear Wrangler ATs, SPV EGR mod

(3) Going soon... 2000 NM GLX, Impco/BRC LPG, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 265/75R16s, ARB Bullbar, TigerzII Winch, Snorkel, Tekonsha Brake Controller, Engine Guardian.

Comment

• Eastie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Vic

As jace said, try to get as much of the old stuff out of the reservoir first, it will save you time. Haven't done this on the paj yet, but there may be a sequence to follow given ABS and there's the possibility of being abs bleed screws for the front and back in addition to the one at each brake caliper. There will likely also be an instruction to do each wheel in a particular sequence. I haven't got the manual handy but someone will have.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• gaz1
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Blue Mountains NSW

Thanks fellas, I've had a look at the manual and its method seems to mainly be aimed at getting rid of air in the system, rather than just pushing fresh fluid through so it talks a lot about issues to do with the accumulator - but I figure if there's no air in the system, the normal procedure should be OK. The idea of the syringe is good, I'll use that to reduce the reservoir level before I start.

The sequence for RHD vehicles is left rear, right front, right rear, left front and I'm going to give it a go sometime next week. I'll file a report on any problems encountered.

Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Bleeding on the ABS is the same as any other. Just start from the caliper furthest from the master cyl and work your way around. The main concern with ABS is when changing pads and forcing the calipers (and thus the fluid) back.
          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• gaz1
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Blue Mountains NSW

Thanks Pat, I hoped that would be the case.

Gaz

Comment

• marquis
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Newcastle

--
              Marquis
              SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• dolphin
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008

all said but, i have never heard of having to change brake fluid for an RWC.
                NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• gaz1
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Blue Mountains NSW

Just wanting to clarify....the ignition switch is only turned on for the front brakes and for step 10? Not for the rears?

Thanks

Gaz

Comment

• Matatak
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • Perth

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                    Just wanting to clarify....the ignition switch is only turned on for the front brakes and for step 10? Not for the rears?

Thanks

Gaz
                    Did you read steps 7, 8, and 9? and understand them?
                    05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• gaz1
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Blue Mountains NSW

Yes that is why I sought clarification, I understood what they said but want to be sure there was no inconsistency.

Gaz

Comment

• marquis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Newcastle

When I last changed the fluid, the front brakes required the brake electric pump to be running to push the fluid through. Yours any different? (I have ABS)
                        --
                        Marquis
                        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• gaz1
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Blue Mountains NSW

I'll be doing it hopefully this week some time, and will let you know how it goes.

Gaz

Comment

• Matatak
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Perth

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                            Yes that is why I sought clarification, I understood what they said but want to be sure there was no inconsistency.

Gaz
                            So you didnt understand it ?

Steps 7, 8 and 9 tell you to repeat steps 3 to 6.
                            steps 4 is where you turn the ignition on and off....which just so happens to be within steps 3 to 6 (3, 4, 5, 6)

is that clearer, meaning Yes you do turn the ignition on for all the brakes.

(just to clarify here i'm not having a go at you)

Cheers
                            Matt
                            05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• gaz1
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Blue Mountains NSW

Life got in the way and I've only just done the fluid change today....followed Marquis's description and no problems at all. I found it easiest to take the front wheels off, the bleeder nipple is quite close to the rim and getting the auto bleeder hose and lock onto them would have been too fiddly. Rears have more clearance.

Gaz

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X