• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dclinton
    • Jan 2015
    • Central Coast NSW

Cheap torque converter lockup kit project

Ok guys, I’ve had a crazy idea to try and build a cheap torque converter lockup system for the NS using an Arduino to replicate the PWM signal the trans ECU sends to the TCC solenoid.

I don’t spose anyone knows the PWM frequency the ECU outputs? I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find any specific reference to it.

I can’t think of a way to figure it out without an oscilloscope, anyone got any ideas? I think it’ll be trial and error to get the right frequency where things stand at the moment.

If I can pull it off, I reckon it can be done with about $50 worth of bits from Jaycar. With the Arduino being easily programmed, I think there’d be a heap of scope to add functionality based on other inputs like vehicle speed, throttle input and gear selection.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I'd think very carefully before you did that. I'm not a tech expert but seeing the amount of testing MM did in conjunction with OJ to produce his kit, it's not something which you can just build and plug in.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dclinton
      • Jan 2015
      • Central Coast NSW

What I plan on building won’t have any canbus functionality like the MM kit. I’m doing this out of necessity, the Mrs won’t approve the funds to buy a proper kit, so I’m having a crack at building my own. Lol.
      Initially it’ll only be a simple on/off setup, but I might try adding to it after I get the basics working.

The ECU PWM signal prevents burning out the solenoid by switching the signal on and off rapidly instead of giving it constant 12v and also allows partial lockup by varying the duty cycle of the signal. The idea is to get the arduino to generate a 5v PWM signal that switches a mosfet to handle the full 12v of the car’s electrical system. After a ton of research, I’ve got a pretty good idea of how the system works, I just need to figure out the frequency.

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Good luck with it
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Pre MM, I developed my own basic kit for the Aisin transmission, and I expect the same process would work for the Jatco.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          At a high level:

1. Looking at the circuit diagram, I identified the wires to the lock-up solenoid.
          2. I cut the wires and installed in series a simple "power meter" that monitored both voltage and current, and hooked up a multimeter to check the frequency (it's a PWM circuit).
          3. I went for a few drives under different conditions to make the lock-up activate, and recorded voltage & current being applied to the lock-up solenoid.
          4. Then I designed & built a circuit that would
          a. Apply to the solenoid the required voltage at approximately the right frequency, and
          b. Apply a resistor to the output of the A/T ECU, to ensure the right current flows when the A/T ECU attempts to lock the converter while my circuit has it locked.
          For the Aisin, I measured the PWM at 200Hz (using my multi-meter - nothing flash), but I didn't achieve that with my simple circuit. I only used a 555 Timer to do the PWM, and with standard values for resistors and capacitors (that I had on hand) it was either about 180Hz, or somewhere closer to 300Hz. I don't recall why the gap was so large, and I vaguely recall going with the lower frequency. I did have some issues with my final stage transistor overheating, until I realised it was conducting but not saturating - so dissipating too much power. A simple resistor change fixed that.

Yes, the NT factory programming includes a partial lockup that I didn't bother with, and I believe Marshall (m_and_m) found that later models don't do it. The factory system also ramps the PWM output, which I believe is primarily to provide smooth, unobtrusive lockup - I was more than happy to simply turn it on and off.

My lockup generated some occasional fault codes that seemed to happen if I switched my kit about the same time that the factory ECU was also attempting to lock or unlock. Not the end of the world.

The kit is still in my Paj, but not wired up - I got an offer on a lockup-mate that was too good to refuse.

Good luck.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dclinton
            • Jan 2015
            • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Pre MM, I developed my own basic kit for the Aisin transmission, and I expect the same process would work for the Jatco.

For the Aisin, I measured the PWM at 200Hz (using my multi-meter - nothing flash), but I didn't achieve that with my simple circuit. I only used a 555 Timer to do the PWM, and with standard values for resistors and capacitors (that I had on hand) it was either about 180Hz, or somewhere closer to 300Hz. I don't recall why the gap was so large, and I vaguely recall going with the lower frequency. I did have some issues with my final stage transistor overheating, until I realised it was conducting but not saturating - so dissipating too much power. A simple resistor change fixed that.

Yes, the NT factory programming includes a partial lockup that I didn't bother with, and I believe Marshall (m_and_m) found that later models don't do it. The factory system also ramps the PWM output, which I believe is primarily to provide smooth, unobtrusive lockup - I was more than happy to simply turn it on and off.

My lockup generated some occasional fault codes that seemed to happen if I switched my kit about the same time that the factory ECU was also attempting to lock or unlock. Not the end of the world.

The kit is still in my Paj, but not wired up - I got an offer on a lockup-mate that was too good to refuse.

Good luck.
            Thanks mate, that's hugely helpful!! I don't spose you recall what sort of resistor you used to simulate the solenoid load?

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

This will be interesting. Hope it works for you...sometimes poverty is the mother of invention...lol
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ky1e
                • Aug 2015
                • Muswellbrook

Interested to see how you go with this!! Will be following

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dclinton View Post
                  Thanks mate, that's hugely helpful!! I don't spose you recall what sort of resistor you used to simulate the solenoid load?
                  It was a 50W wire wound, don't recall the precise value - but you need to measure the current & voltage your Jatco solenoid is drawing, and choose a resistor value to suit.

Power dissipated is nowhere near 50W, but the bigger resistor will run cooler - I also mounted mine to a large piece of 3mm aluminium, to help dissipate the heat. It's under the carpet the passenger's footwell.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dclinton
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Central Coast NSW

This is how my Saturday has been spent. Prototyping and fiddling. Lol.
                    I think I’ve got the wiring pretty much sussed, onto programming the arduino and testing now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• dclinton
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Central Coast NSW

Have managed to get the PWM frequency outputting correctly. Working on being able to adjust the duty cycle/lockup amount by using the potentiometer on the control box. Pretty stoked with the way things are coming along at the moment, just waiting on the 100w 3.3 ohm resistor I ordered to show up before I can start testing on the car.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• cruisn06
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Perth WA

Great work mate
                        07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• chrisfarru
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Central Coast NSW

Is the NS box same as the NM?

If yes, a mate gave me an instruction sheet with resistors and all to fit a TC lock up kit. I did it on my NM and it worked flawlessly.
                          NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can

Comment

• dclinton
                            • Jan 2015
                            • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by chrisfarru View Post

If yes, a mate gave me an instruction sheet with resistors and all to fit a TC lock up kit. I did it on my NM and it worked flawlessly.
                            Any chance you can post it on here or send it to me mate?

Comment

• Kingmarz
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2016
                              • South Island New Zealand

Originally posted by chrisfarru View Post

Please post instruction sheet on here it would be much appreciated.

Cos if you don’t I will private message you.
                              02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X