• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorazr
    • Aug 2018
    • Adelaide

Upgrading ball weight of tow bar

Does anyone know how to go about upgrading the ball weight specs on an existing towbar?
    I have a 1998 NL 3.5l auto lwb with a Hayman Reese heavy duty tow bar fitted. The bar has a 50x50 hitch connection but no compliance plate on it. Probably worn off with time.
    There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers door showing tow capacity of 2500 kg and ball weight of 120 kg.
    Problem is my van is 1640kg gross with a ball weight of 135kg. I can’t get it any lower unless I rip out the oven in the kitchen, and I don’t need an earbashing from the better half.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I don't think the hitch is the problem and should be rated to take that ball weight easily. But the car itself, if that has a compliance plate saying it's 120kg maximum, then I don't think there's not much you can do about it, short of getting the car specs upgraded and that means big dollars, even if it's possible.

I just did a quick search and turned up the specs for the NL model......https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...hread.php?t=78

That indicates a max of 135kg on the ball.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• motorazr
      • Aug 2018
      • Adelaide

I don’t think it is actually the vehicle, because if I fitted a new towbar it would it would have a 2500kg tow capacity with a 250kg ball weight.
      Looking at the the tow bar that is attached to the vehicle at the moment it is no different from a newer heavy duty tow bar for this model.
      I have read somewhere on the forum that the ball weight can be upgraded but can’t find any specific information.

Comment

• motorazr
        • Aug 2018
        • Adelaide

I do use a 600lb wdh, a bit over over kill but it came with the van. Have just been down to a tow bar place nearby, $620 to supply a new bar.
        I suppose I could stick my head in the sand and accidentally rub off the sticker as it is the only evidence that the ball weight is supposed to be 120kg.
        There is nothing else to show that the tow rating at the ball isnt 10% of the tow bar making it 250kg.
        I came across a reference in one post that MM had amended the ball load rating but can not locate that post again.
        MM is as helpful as ever stating basically that if it’s in the handbook then it’s set in stone, which doesn’t explain how if I fit a new Hayman Reese HD towbar rated at 2500kg it has a ball rating of 250kg.

Comment

• Barneymutt
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Regents Park. Qld

MM, some time ago, released a statement upgrading the towball weight on all Gen2 models to 250kg (Providing the 2500kg towbar is used).
          I do have a copy somewhere but, can't locate it at the moment.

Comment

• motorazr
            • Aug 2018
            • Adelaide

It took several emails to MM and a lot of “what is in the manual is set in stone” replies from them but finally I got what I was looking for. It wasn’t easy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X